Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: Porsche North Houston

Shaping up a new-to-me 07 GT3

Old 07-13-2014, 08:54 PM
Tom@TPC Racing
Rennlist Member

Received 911 Likes on 512 Posts

Update on 3-axis accelerometer-
So, I didn't install it on my car because Mike L. only had enough time to program three DSC boxes and zero'ed(synchronized) them to three accelerometers. All three where sold to customers who really wanted them. Who am I to say no to customers. Two of which were sold mail order, one was installed at the shop. I did make a drawing and took some photos of the installation to share. The installation was pretty simple, the accelerometer was double-sided tape to the ECU plate near the center if the car. Actually the installation of the 3-axis accelerometer on the .1 car was very similar to installing aftermarket traction control & accelerometer on my Ducati 1198 Superbike.
Attached Images       
Old 07-13-2014, 09:13 PM
Tom@TPC Racing
Rennlist Member

Default Taking off the front bumper again

Two weekends ago I took off the front bumper to clean the radiators. I discovered that the left side center radiator hose was sweating coolant. I didn't have a new hose on hand so I put the front bumper back on without changing the hose because this car was my transportation home and I can't leave the car disassembled at the shop occupying a lift when Monday comes around. I ordered both the left and right hoses and two weekends later I am swapping them out before my an upcoming track event. Friends, it is good practice to remove the bumper and check your hoses.
Attached Images  
Old 07-13-2014, 09:21 PM
allans
Burning Brakes

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

What does the 3 axis accelerometer do? Thanks.
Old 07-13-2014, 09:27 PM
Tom@TPC Racing
Rennlist Member

Default Another fun mod

I decided on side muffler bypass pipes because I am annoyed by the rear tire pressure raising from the side muffler's radiating heat. There are a few options on the market for the side muffler bypass pipes(they all serve the same purpose), I paid extra for the factory Cup car pipes because I love that they are constructed by welding beautifully machined flanges rather than flaring the pipe. After installing the pipes the rear tire pressure is about the same as the front even for street driving. Before the rear got 3-4psi higher than the front, even for easy street driving! I am very happy with the results, and the sound.
Attached Images        
The following users liked this post:
Robocop305 (11-08-2023)
Old 07-13-2014, 09:45 PM
Tom@TPC Racing
Rennlist Member

Default The only non-functioning Porsche part I've ever came across

During the side muffler bypass pipe installation I noticed that the rear bumper vents on the .1 street cars are non-functional as they are blocked by the heat shields. Not sure if that's the case on the .2 cars. Anyway. I had to put the rear bumper back on and remedy this the following day because I needed to pick up my girlfriend to go to her friend's surprise birthday party. The following day I took the rear bumper off again to cut openings on heat shields. FYI, there are no heat shields on the .1 Cup cars. They do developed burn marks on the bumper in certain areas.

I am not an expert in aerodynamics but I think venting the rear bumper will reduce or eliminate "parachute effect" and possibly even lead to better engine cooling by evacuating exhaust heat better. IMO, I think the factory didn't vent the .1 street cars because the rear bumper will get dirty very quickly. In hindsight, perhaps venting the rear bumper could reduce the temp enough so that I didn't have to buy the bypass pipes. Who knows...
Attached Images       
Robocop305 (11-08-2023)
Old 07-13-2014, 10:05 PM
Spyerx
Rennlist Member

Received 1,729 Likes on 1,057 Posts

Motorsports parts are pretty. Throw some 100 cell cup or grand am headers on there while at it and wake it up. What did you use to block the holes on street muffler? Interesting idea on heat shield vent holes.... Same principal as the wide front fenders on cup cars get the air out the fender.
Old 07-13-2014, 10:27 PM
Tom@TPC Racing
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by Spyerx
Motorsports parts are pretty. Throw some 100 cell cup or grand am headers on there while at it and wake it up. What did you use to block the holes on street muffler? Interesting idea on heat shield vent holes.... Same principal as the wide front fenders on cup cars get the air out the fender.
I got a piece of sheet metal from a hardware store and made block off plates.
Old 07-14-2014, 12:49 AM
Tom@TPC Racing
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by allans
What does the 3 axis accelerometer do? Thanks.
3-axis accelerometer produces the required data for an aftermarket PASM computer called DSC. See post #81 in this thread.
Old 07-17-2014, 03:36 PM
Tom@TPC Racing
Rennlist Member

Default Quick first impression of DSC + 3-axis accelerometer on my .1 before going to track

I installed the DSC and 3-axis accelerometer last evening after work. It took only 3 minutes to locate, remove and swap out the stock PASM box for DSC so there was still daylight afterwards. The accelerometer took about 2 hours because I was being stupid **** on the wiring. Basically there are four wires on the accelerometer(CAN+, CAN-, Power, and Ground), the CAN(Control Area Network) wiring is exactly the same as wiring the AiM Solo data acq. I soldered the connections instead of using Scotchlok connectors. The accelerometer is positioned very near the middle of the car. Here are the step-by-step photos.

Quick first impression on street- Simply, Amazing! The car rides noticeably smoother over bumps(my car has 500/720 springs) which to me is a nice side benefit but more important the left/right transitions when driving spiritedly is just totally awesome as the left/right dampening values change smoothly and immediately. The front dampers stiffen up when I'm on the brake, then smoothly tapers off when I ease off the pedal. The dampers settle the car nicely minimizing front to rear pitching when hard on/off the pedal. It's hard to describe in words how much the car is transformed in a positive way. I know this is not scientific but I am comfortably going around an exit ramp that I know 3-4mph higher with no other changes because the grip, balance, and feel when the outside dampers stiffen up relative to the speed and g-force while the inside dampers stay soft. I guess this is what a well-staggered NASCAR would feel like except the DSC will do this smoothly and immediately turning either direction. That's all for now, I have to get back to back. I am psyched about doing 3 track days at Summit Point Raceway starting tomorrow!

As a side note, earlier this week I installed DSC + 3-axis on a customer's 997.1 Carrera S. The suspension is completely stock. Heavy on the brake with DSC this car felt as if it had 500-lb front springs! The excessive nose dive that was there before was gone. I was completely amazed. And the heaving in Sport Mode was gone too.
Attached Images                
Robocop305 (11-08-2023)
Old 07-17-2014, 03:58 PM
chardonet
Racer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Great update! Thanks. Sign me up!
Old 07-17-2014, 04:02 PM
audipwr1
Rennlist Member

Received 168 Likes on 107 Posts

Cliffnotes: What do I expect to see as a difference from this DSC sensor? Have you done some laps with and without?
Old 07-17-2014, 04:49 PM
Tom@TPC Racing
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by chardonet
Great update! Thanks. Sign me up!
Thanks! Have a few kits in stock ready to ship before we're off to the track. PM sent.
Old 07-17-2014, 04:54 PM
Tom@TPC Racing
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by audipwr1
Cliffnotes: What do I expect to see as a difference from this DSC sensor? Have you done some laps with and without?
You'll notice better grip as a result of fully active damper control for individual corner of the car whether or not you change springs. I have not done lap time. I am going to the track tomorrow.
Old 07-17-2014, 05:08 PM
jbse39
Rennlist Member

Received 18 Likes on 14 Posts

I may have to swing by your shop in the near future!
Old 07-17-2014, 05:09 PM
Tom@TPC Racing
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by jbse39
I may have to swing by your shop in the near future!
We welcome your visit.

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Shaping up a new-to-me 07 GT3