Notices
997 GT2/GT3 Forum 2005-2012
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: Porsche North Houston

RMS repair denied under CPO because... of a modified exhaust not on the car anymore

Search this Thread

Old 04-14-2014, 11:57 AM
Boostu
Advanced

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

How common is the RMS failure on GT3s and how many people have had to repair it out of warranty? The 997.1 GT3 has been my benchmark for years and I'd like to pick one up when I move back to Phoenix in a couple years but things like this tend to scare me off.
Old 04-15-2014, 09:10 PM
neanicu
Nordschleife Master

Received 339 Likes on 208 Posts

Here's Nick Murray's story :

https://rennlist.com/forums/991/8104...new-video.html
Old 04-15-2014, 09:42 PM
CT944
Drifting

Received 157 Likes on 110 Posts

I actually won't buy a used Porsche without a CPO. My old C4S had the IMS failure and the motor blew, oil everywhere. Porsche replaced the entire motor without any question. $24k for motor, $4k for install. I got a free loaner for the 4 days it was in the shop. I actually had a Fabspeed headers and mufflers installed, and they didn't care. My CPO 997 GT3 never had one issue, but so far my CPO 997TT has had about $5k of issues that were 100% covered by CPO. So, I am a believer.

Originally Posted by CRex
Objectively speaking, how have owners benefited from CPO warranties?

I may have read an extreme case here where an owner received a replacement engine after the original one grenaded on the back of failed bearing(s). But that has to be a five-sigma event.

I just don't know what value a CPO adds, other than restricting our ability to modify the cars in any significant way (particularly painful for the track crowd) and potentially creating a slight premium at resale...
Old 04-17-2014, 11:06 AM
Inrev
Burning Brakes

Received 143 Likes on 70 Posts

Originally Posted by CT944
I actually won't buy a used Porsche without a CPO. My old C4S had the IMS failure and the motor blew, oil everywhere. Porsche replaced the entire motor without any question. $24k for motor, $4k for install. I got a free loaner for the 4 days it was in the shop. I actually had a Fabspeed headers and mufflers installed, and they didn't care. My CPO 997 GT3 never had one issue, but so far my CPO 997TT has had about $5k of issues that were 100% covered by CPO. So, I am a believer.
My feeling also. Until I've had this issue but they seem to be working up to a solution.
Old 04-17-2014, 11:15 AM
Inrev
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by neanicu
After watching this video, and unless I see a change in Porsche's attitude towards customer satisfaction as of lately it's been pinching pennies, I will never buy another Porsche... a new one that is. I was thinking Cayenne as a daily but I'm not sure anymore.

Seems to me Porsche is too busy selling cars to emerging markets to even bother with keeping its core customers happy anymore.
Old 04-17-2014, 11:37 AM
neanicu
Nordschleife Master

Originally Posted by Inrev
After watching this video, and unless I see a change in Porsche's attitude towards customer satisfaction as of lately it's been pinching pennies, I will never buy another Porsche... a new one that is. I was thinking Cayenne as a daily but I'm not sure anymore. Seems to me Porsche is too busy selling cars to emerging markets to even bother with keeping its core customers happy anymore.
Yes,it's gone viral now! No way back now PAG! PAY THE MAN!

www.jalopnik.com
Old 04-17-2014, 12:56 PM
neanicu
Nordschleife Master

Resolution in sight!

Originally Posted by nmurray22
Good news! I have been contacted by PCNA to settle this. This whole mess will end today hopefully. Good that they are doing the right thing. Good for them.

Apologies to the OP for using his thread.
Old 04-18-2014, 09:59 AM
Inrev
Burning Brakes

UPDATE: Porsche refuses to pay for work as warranty, however has a "special" customer service budget where they will cover the cost of the repair to the dealership, leaving the repair a few hundred dollars short for their profit margin.

Toronto Pfaff dealership CPO'd the car but it's the Quebec city dealership who delivered the car to me to facilitate transaction and taxes paperwork. Pfaff is denying all responsibility and putting the burden on local dealership saying they should've re-inspected the car before delivering it to me. This will end up making my dealership work for basically nothing. Given the time they've spent helping me and trying to make it right I feel obligated to cover that part of the expense.

Really Pfaff? Screwing up on your CPO and putting the burden on the dealership you sold the car to, a dealership that was key in making the transaction successful? Talk about having no shame or ethics.
Old 04-18-2014, 11:19 AM
f4 plt
Rennlist Member

Received 140 Likes on 72 Posts

Originally Posted by Boostu
How common is the RMS failure on GT3s and how many people have had to repair it out of warranty? The 997.1 GT3 has been my benchmark for years and I'd like to pick one up when I move back to Phoenix in a couple years but things like this tend to scare me off.
There were problems with the 2007 GT3 and RMS. I had mine replaced 4 times in the first 3000 miles and eight months, the car was then re-purschased and I ordered a 997S. I understand Porsche later did some re-design of the seal.

That said I did not really hear of any with the 2008 and my 2011 3.8 GT3 has been flawless
Old 04-21-2014, 01:04 PM
Boostu
Advanced

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

Originally Posted by f4 plt
There were problems with the 2007 GT3 and RMS. I had mine replaced 4 times in the first 3000 miles and eight months, the car was then re-purschased and I ordered a 997S. I understand Porsche later did some re-design of the seal.

That said I did not really hear of any with the 2008 and my 2011 3.8 GT3 has been flawless
For someone looking to buy a 2007 GT3, is the RMS issue something that would have happened by now in most cases? Or does it need to be added to the list along with coolant pipes and other issues?
Old 04-21-2014, 02:49 PM
996FLT6
Rennlist Member

Received 235 Likes on 191 Posts

I believe the oem rms seal was redesigned and maybe the culprit to it leaking on the 7.1's. Heard its best to use the 6gt3 one or the 6turbo version. Mike
Old 04-21-2014, 02:54 PM
fc-racer
Drifting

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

For someone looking to buy a 2007 GT3, is the RMS issue something that would have happened by now in most cases? Or does it need to be added to the list along with coolant pipes and other issues?
40k km of street and track use, no leaks on my 07 GT3.
Old 04-21-2014, 03:19 PM
milrad
PS Armorer
Rennlist Member

Received 96 Likes on 53 Posts

I've done very well with CPOs on both a 996TT and a CTT. A new tranny and spoiler hydraulics for the Turbo and a ton of stuff for the Pig.
Old 04-21-2014, 07:00 PM
usctrojanGT3
Rennlist Member

Received 3,802 Likes on 2,167 Posts

Originally Posted by Inrev
UPDATE: Porsche refuses to pay for work as warranty, however has a "special" customer service budget where they will cover the cost of the repair to the dealership, leaving the repair a few hundred dollars short for their profit margin.

Toronto Pfaff dealership CPO'd the car but it's the Quebec city dealership who delivered the car to me to facilitate transaction and taxes paperwork. Pfaff is denying all responsibility and putting the burden on local dealership saying they should've re-inspected the car before delivering it to me. This will end up making my dealership work for basically nothing. Given the time they've spent helping me and trying to make it right I feel obligated to cover that part of the expense.

Really Pfaff? Screwing up on your CPO and putting the burden on the dealership you sold the car to, a dealership that was key in making the transaction successful? Talk about having no shame or ethics.
Nothing worse than stealership other than a Canadian stealership! Someone needs to put the set them straight.
Old 04-22-2014, 12:19 PM
Inrev
Burning Brakes

I don't see the RMS issue as a really big one and a deal breaker. I just want it fixed as it should be though.

Quick Reply: RMS repair denied under CPO because... of a modified exhaust not on the car anymore