Notices
997 GT2/GT3 Forum 2005-2012
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: Porsche North Houston

squeak after installing RSS suspension bits and engine mounts?

Search this Thread

Old 01-08-2014, 02:16 AM
maomao911
Racer

Received 15 Likes on 7 Posts
Default squeak after installing RSS suspension bits and engine mounts?

Just had all the rear axle RSS bits and the engine mounts installed on my 2010 GT3 non-RS. Now there is a loud constant squeak when the car is moving, coming from what seems to be the rear passenger side. squeak also seems to go away when taking hard right turn when the weight is transferred away from the right side of the car. I suspect it is more likely due to the engine mounts, but searching the forums it seems that most people are not getting any squeak after installing these parts. Will drive it a bit more before taking it back to the shop for more diagnostics, but want to check with people who have these parts to see what your experience have been like?
Old 01-08-2014, 02:28 AM
russo
Three Wheelin'

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Since I installed the RSS I have also noticed the squeaking, I gather that its from eliminated any and all rubber components. However, the car does feel sharper when going through the turns.
Old 01-08-2014, 02:47 AM
Spyerx
Rennlist Member

Received 1,730 Likes on 1,058 Posts

Just as a comparison, I have porsche motorsports solid mono ball inner lower links f/r, tarett and erp everything else (I mean everything) and I don't squeak at all. Oh I have wevo engine mounts too. In fact suspension is quieter than OEM and a lot more positive/sharper.

I'd get it looked at, shouldn't squeak.
Old 01-08-2014, 11:25 AM
Unitah
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Agreed, mine doesn't squeak. May be the sway bars? Motor mounts don't make any additional noise at all as I did those first. Then months later the suspension. Then 2 years later the transmission mounts. So, everything done incrementally. No noise on any upgrade?!?!
Old 01-08-2014, 03:01 PM
997gt3north
Drifting

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

take a look at the sway bar bushings to see if they need replaced - i have the gt2 bar and not too long after I installed the RSS stuff I needed to replace both bushings as they were cracked

if you drive in 'bad' weather, then exposed ball joints will wear and need replaced - that is why OEM parts are sealed from the elements
Old 01-08-2014, 03:17 PM
bmwtye
Rennlist Member

Received 127 Likes on 81 Posts

The RSS parts can be bought with dust boots to "seal" the ends
Old 01-08-2014, 04:54 PM
Larry Cable
Rennlist Member

Received 3,446 Likes on 2,252 Posts

Originally Posted by maomao911
Just had all the rear axle RSS bits and the engine mounts installed on my 2010 GT3 non-RS. Now there is a loud constant squeak when the car is moving, coming from what seems to be the rear passenger side. squeak also seems to go away when taking hard right turn when the weight is transferred away from the right side of the car. I suspect it is more likely due to the engine mounts, but searching the forums it seems that most people are not getting any squeak after installing these parts. Will drive it a bit more before taking it back to the shop for more diagnostics, but want to check with people who have these parts to see what your experience have been like?
I had a creaking/cracking noise from my RSS 1/2 kit (bumpsteer) on the front of my GT3 which went away once Dan @ Sharkwerks applied some silicon lube to the ball joint which was momentarily seizing then freeing up (creak/crack) under steering input.

YMMV
Old 01-08-2014, 04:55 PM
Larry Cable
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by 997gt3north
take a look at the sway bar bushings to see if they need replaced - i have the gt2 bar and not too long after I installed the RSS stuff I needed to replace both bushings as they were cracked

if you drive in 'bad' weather, then exposed ball joints will wear and need replaced - that is why OEM parts are sealed from the elements
did you lube your bushings when you installed the GT2 bar? - that helps a lot but I agree entirely
Old 01-08-2014, 06:45 PM
sharkster
Addict
Rennlist Member

Rennlist
Site Sponsor

Received 84 Likes on 38 Posts

Originally Posted by maomao911
heya Dan/we didn't notice anything on the test drive to the alignment shop but there shouldn't be any audible difference with just those but let's check it tomorrow and be sure
Old 01-08-2014, 06:49 PM
Larry Cable
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by sharkster
heya Dan/we didn't notice anything on the test drive to the alignment shop but there shouldn't be any audible difference with just those but let's check it tomorrow and be sure
its probably the hamster wheel bearings ...
Old 01-08-2014, 06:53 PM
sharkster
Addict
Rennlist Member

Rennlist
Site Sponsor

Received 84 Likes on 38 Posts

Originally Posted by Larry Cable
its probably the hamster wheel bearings ...
LOL I hate that blighter... well let's see. Alignment was done/changed so we'll check the sways over and such
Old 01-08-2014, 07:38 PM
maxbhp
Instructor

Received 8 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by Larry Cable
I had a creaking/cracking noise from my RSS 1/2 kit (bumpsteer) on the front of my GT3 which went away once Dan @ Sharkwerks applied some silicon lube to the ball joint which was momentarily seizing then freeing up (creak/crack) under steering input.

YMMV
I am on stock suspension and have a similar sounding creaking/cracking noise from the front passenger side of the car. Any turn of the wheel or movement of the suspension at all, no matter how slight results in a groaning noise that sounds almost like a metal coil being wound and then unwound depending on which way I turn the wheel. I thought it might be a bad wheel bearing but car is driving fine with no noticeable vibrations at all, just that noise, which is definitely louder when car is still cold. Wonder if some silicone lube to the ball joint should help out with that.

To OP, how do you like the new suspension bits otherwise? I'm planning to do do similar mods in the near future.
Old 01-08-2014, 07:49 PM
Larry Cable
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by maxbhp
I am on stock suspension and have a similar sounding creaking/cracking noise from the front passenger side of the car. Any turn of the wheel or movement of the suspension at all, no matter how slight results in a groaning noise that sounds almost like a metal coil being wound and then unwound depending on which way I turn the wheel. I thought it might be a bad wheel bearing but car is driving fine with no noticeable vibrations at all, just that noise, which is definitely louder when car is still cold. Wonder if some silicone lube to the ball joint should help out with that.

To OP, how do you like the new suspension bits otherwise? I'm planning to do do similar mods in the near future.
solved it for me
Old 01-08-2014, 07:50 PM
Larry Cable
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by sharkster
LOL I hate that blighter... well let's see. Alignment was done/changed so we'll check the sways over and such
thought there was a factory TSB on squeaky hamster wheels ... another well known problem with the 3.8's...
Old 01-09-2014, 01:10 AM
maomao911
Racer

Received 15 Likes on 7 Posts

thanks guys for sharing your experience, going back to the shop tomorrow for have it checked.

Quick Reply: squeak after installing RSS suspension bits and engine mounts?