Sponsored by: Porsche North Houston

DIY Rennline Battery Mount and Odyssey 925

Search this Thread

Old 01-03-2014, 10:24 PM
RAudi Driver
Rennlist Member

Received 2,733 Likes on 1,637 Posts
Default DIY Rennline Battery Mount and Odyssey 925

My apologies for no pictures as I didn't expect to have to write a DIY for a battery install. However, the instructions that came with the Rennline Mount were a little less than accurate.

On a positive note, Great Company and great product. Arrived in a reasonable time considering the UPS fiasco. I am still waiting on a one day shipping for a BMW center link and it's been over a week with no delivery date in sight.

The Rennline instructions will have you assemble the battery and mount outside the car and then place it in the vehicle on the stock battery tray. Don't do this as you'll run into fitment issues. I wasn't able to line up the base plate bolt hole with the stock battery tray's bolt hole.

1. Place the Rennline base plate, with the stud plates, on the stock battery tray and slide it all the way to the right (Driver's side) just until the lifted end of the Rennline plate resides under the stock battery tray beveled lip.

This is necessary to get the negative battery cable to reach the terminal. you will also need to take a 12mm socket and rotate the negative terminal, at the frame, 90 degrees to buy a little more length on that cable. It barely makes it.

2. Install the 12 mm stock battery tie down bolt through the Rennline base plate and screw in a few turns but do not tighten. Do this now to keep the hole lined up.

You'll want to be able to slide the stud mounts right and left to secure battery before you cinch the base plate to the stock battery tray.

3. Install one of the Rennline uprights onto the studs (driver's side first) as you have less working room on that side. Insatall 2 steel washers and 2 nylon lock nuts but do not tighten yet.

4 install the battery making sure it is fully seated on both sides front and back. Be mindful of the heater hose clamps. Some installers actually spun the clamps so that the notch side wasn't touching the battery mount. If the battery is slid all the to the driver's side, this wont' be an issue and you have to slide the battery all the way to get the negative cable to reach.

5. Install 2nd Rennline upright brace and again, 2 steel washers and 2 nylon nuts.

6. Now take the battery and the uprights and slide the entire unit to the driver's side, and tighten down.

7. Now it's ok to tighten the 12mm bolt that secures the Rennline base plate to the stock battery tray.

8. Place Rennline top mount on top of battery and secure to the uprights with 2 nylon washers and 2 nylon lock nuts

9. Reconnect Positive cable first.

10. If not already done, a 12mm socket to loosen the negative cable and turn it 90 degrees to gain some length.

11. connect the negative battery cable.

12. Put your trickle back on it and go get a drink.

If you guys want pictures, I'll take some and post up if I can find the time.

Last edited by RAudi Driver; 01-04-2014 at 12:37 AM.
Old 01-03-2014, 11:23 PM
24Chromium
Drifting

Received 24 Likes on 13 Posts

Brilliant, thank you!
Old 01-14-2016, 10:55 PM
phil996cab99
Racer

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Hey thanks. I just ran into the same thing on my 996 Carrera.

Quick Reply: DIY Rennline Battery Mount and Odyssey 925