Sponsored by: Porsche North Houston

PFC Slotted Rotors V2 - How to eliminate the clunk DIY

Search this Thread

Old 09-15-2013, 11:36 PM
Speeds5
Rennlist Member

Received 166 Likes on 87 Posts
Default PFC Slotted Rotors V2 - How to eliminate the clunk DIY

So I bought an 997.1 RS last month from a forum member (Jenner ) and he had installed two piece true floating PFC rotors up front. Car has PCCB calipers. They clunk and rattle on street driving especially at low speeds. These are perfectly fine for the track but quite annoying on the street. Car sees dual duty so I figured I wanted to remove the noise.

I spoke to PFC and they were extremely helpful telling me that there was an easy solution to the noise problem. All i needed was to install the belleville washers in between the hat and the hold down ring. They offered to send me a bunch for free and didn't even charge for shipping. That is customer service

So I got the washers this week and i was thinking how would installing a washer through the bolts that hold the rotor to the hat in between the hat and the hold down ring eliminate the noise. If anything it would create even more space for the rotor to float on the hat. Didn't make any sense.

I decided to go ahead and take the rotors off. Removed all of the bolts and then looked the hold down ring. Finally it made sense. The ring has indentations for the belleville washers. They are not supposed to go through the bolts. They stand in between the ring and the rotor teeth, eliminating any movement.

If anyone is wondering what I'm talking about here's some pics.

Rotor is off.

Hold down ring off

Nuts and bolts off/Ring

Belleville washers directly PFC (these are concave, unlike regular washers)

Here's the pic of the indentation for the washers and the bolt hole. I put a washer in so you can tell better. Washers need to go face down.

All washers in place

Bolted the ring back. All done

The plan is to remove these washers again at the beginning of next track season to gain the full benefit of the true floating rotors. For now this is great for DD.

Hopefully this is helpful to someone who was wondering about removing the noise
Old 09-16-2013, 07:11 PM
tasman
Race Car

Received 125 Likes on 87 Posts

Been there done that. Congrats on the new purchase. That rattling can drive one crazy on the street. Enjoy your GT3

Quick Reply: PFC Slotted Rotors V2 - How to eliminate the clunk DIY