997.1 to 997.2 suspension

Search this Thread

Old 09-02-2013, 05:50 AM
heyhobingo
Advanced

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 997.1 to 997.2 suspension

Hi All.

My 2008 997.1 GT3 suspension is getting a bit tired, and i was hoping to upgrade all four corners.

I like to keep things as Porschey as possible, and as its an occasional daily driver i dont want anything to harsh on the road, I drove a Gen 2 GT3 on the track a few weeks ago, and it seemed so much more solid and in tune with the surface, this could be down to more than just suspension (roll cage for example)

Question is, can I upgrade my Gen 1 GT3 to Gen 2 GT3 suspension without any modifications? has anyone done it?

Thanks.
Old 09-02-2013, 06:08 AM
Ur20v
Three Wheelin'

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

Why not get Bilstein to rebuild and re-valve the shock units?
Old 09-02-2013, 12:23 PM
tcsracing1
Rennlist Member

Received 256 Likes on 172 Posts

i have no idea about compatabilty between .1 and .2

If you are gona spend some money go better then .2.

TPC racing has bilsteins that work with you PASM.

Or you can get Moton, JRZ etc with no PASM.
Old 09-02-2013, 02:15 PM
a_Y
Racer

Received 22 Likes on 7 Posts

Originally Posted by tcsracing1
i have no idea about compatabilty between .1 and .2

If you are gona spend some money go better then .2.

TPC racing has bilsteins that work with you PASM.

Or you can get Moton, JRZ etc with no PASM.
Are you referring to the damptronics?
Old 09-02-2013, 02:16 PM
a_Y
Racer

Received 22 Likes on 7 Posts

Originally Posted by heyhobingo
Hi All.

My 2008 997.1 GT3 suspension is getting a bit tired, and i was hoping to upgrade all four corners.

I like to keep things as Porschey as possible, and as its an occasional daily driver i dont want anything to harsh on the road, I drove a Gen 2 GT3 on the track a few weeks ago, and it seemed so much more solid and in tune with the surface, this could be down to more than just suspension (roll cage for example)

Question is, can I upgrade my Gen 1 GT3 to Gen 2 GT3 suspension without any modifications? has anyone done it?

Thanks.
I have actually heard about some owners here have 4.0 coilovers installed on their 3.6. Maybe you can consider that?
Old 09-02-2013, 02:18 PM
heyhobingo
Advanced

im thinking also KW Suspension, come recommended. cheaper, better and great track set up.

any thoughts?
Old 09-02-2013, 02:20 PM
tcsracing1
Rennlist Member

Received 256 Likes on 172 Posts

Originally Posted by a_Y
Are you referring to the damptronics?
Yes.
Old 09-02-2013, 06:05 PM
NorthVan
Three Wheelin'

im thinking also KW Suspension, come recommended. cheaper, better and great track set up.

any thoughts?
Go third party. OEM stuff is OK at best when compared to aftermarket.
Old 09-02-2013, 06:53 PM
utkinpol
Rennlist Member

Received 22 Likes on 13 Posts

Originally Posted by Ur20v
Why not get Bilstein to rebuild and re-valve the shock units?
+1
If you want it firmer just tell them how to valve shocks and optionally use stiffer springs. Jrz/moton are great for track build as you get adjustment for compression and rebound and it is very handy to have
Old 09-03-2013, 06:44 AM
BBMGT3
Addict
Lifetime Rennlist

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

any thoughts?
I have the kW 3-way clubsport. Its excellent, but you need the top mounts and you need the motorsports control arms & toe links to get the best out of it. Then you need to understand that its an ADJUSTABLE suspension so handling will be average / amazing / scary / impossible depending on setting.

fyi aftermarket kits are almost always better than oem.
Old 09-03-2013, 11:30 AM
utkinpol
Rennlist Member

Received 22 Likes on 13 Posts

Originally Posted by BBMGT3
I am not sure if 'better' really applies here. Plus if a car is not a dedicated track build then excessive work on suspension is not really needed at all. Very little of what jrz/moton offers really applies to street driving, you do not need all steel monoballs in links, all OP wanted was just to improve stability, for that he can tell bilstein to revalve shocks to be bit stiffer on rebound in standard mode. there were many threads here on springs options for 997.1 tub, there is no need to go over that again.

also, speaking about 2008 car I would not think its shocks could be in bad shape just after 5 years, it is highly unlikely.
Old 09-03-2013, 05:23 PM
mdrums
Race Director

Received 179 Likes on 126 Posts

.1 and .2 GT2 PASM computer box have different part number and might not be compatible with each other.

Don't mess around and either get Bilstein B16 Damptronics that are plug and play and keep PASM working properly with no warning lights...or turn PASM off and go with something from KW, Ohlins and so forth.
Old 09-03-2013, 05:30 PM
Spyerx
Rennlist Member

Received 1,730 Likes on 1,058 Posts

My suggestion would be to not try and tweak this 1 piece at a time. Suspension is a system that is highly tuned and calibrated.

Go to a race shop that knows these cars, ideally who does race prep, and you can explain what you are looking for. They will guide you in the right direction, including taking into account the street / track nature of the car for your use. It may just be a matter of alignment tuning. Or maybe a combination of damping + control arms, etc.

Hi All.

Thanks.
Old 09-03-2013, 08:16 PM
CRex
Rennlist Member

Received 377 Likes on 193 Posts

Originally Posted by BBMGT3
Can't disagree more. Better in what sense? The OEM shocks are very accomplished for street use and few aftermarket alternatives do better. Not KW or Cargraphic for sure. Bilsteins are the only one I'd consider on a street car--they're the OEM manufacturers anyways.

For track use the needs/possibilities diverge significantly. Like the other poster said, your outcome can be anywhere between insanely great down to jeez-what-have-i-done. That's a function of test time for a given track and tweaking ad infinitum.

For track-dedicated use I'm gonna save that budget and use it on Motons/JRZs for a cup car. When the time's up on my street units I'd simply get another set of OEMs. Won't think otherwise for a sec.

OP: you'll need to look into the PASM control units--different part numbers between Gen 1 & 2. They're known to plug in and work without error codes, but it's not known whether PASM gets to full functionality across generations (i suspect so, since the part being controlled is just a simple valve inside the struts).
Old 09-03-2013, 10:50 PM
997gt3north
Drifting

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by CRex
OP: you'll need to look into the PASM control units--different part numbers between Gen 1 & 2. They're known to plug in and work without error codes,
Is there a known car or person that can 100% confirm this fact

Quick Reply: 997.1 to 997.2 suspension