Sponsored by: Porsche North Houston

GoPro results

Search this Thread

Old 07-07-2013, 12:25 AM
zanwar
Pro

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default GoPro results

At the beginning of this season I was given a couple of GoPro Hero 3 White Edition cams and I've been experimenting with using them in various locations on the car.

I have one camera on the front fixed to a Rennline tow hook mount. This is a very solid mount but it positions the camera pointing off to driver's right. I bought the "side mount" and "grab bag" packages from GoPro and used the pieces to mount the camera pointing directly forwards. The sound from the camera when originally fixed to the Rennline mount was unusable. I bought a windscreen for the back of the camera and in combination with the extra mounting pieces this absolutely transformed the audio. It now sounds very similar to what you hear in the cabin.

I tried mounting the second camera to my roll bar pointing at the steering wheel. It was fun for a while but there wasn't much info to be gained from that location. I was thinking about mounting the cam in front of the instruments and after watching the Steve Sutcliffe 991 GT3 video decided to try it out. The GoPro camera lens is offset to the side of the device, so if you mount the camera with the lens lined up with the center of the rev counter, the camera blocks the most important part of the dial while you're driving. I moved the camera mount to the center of the steering column and this way you can still see the outer circumference of the dial. There is a great side effect of this location... the image shows your reflection in the instrument cluster and you can see your hands on the wheel and the shifter.

I start both of the cameras with the WiFi remote and the video is properly synchronized. Using iMovie it's very straightforward to create a picture-in-picture video.

The windscreen:

The Rennline mount and a frame of the resulting video:
Attached Images   
Old 07-07-2013, 01:55 AM
Speeds5
Rennlist Member

Received 166 Likes on 87 Posts

looks really good. does the camera shake a lot from the wind in the triple digits speeds? The quality looks to be real good.
Old 07-07-2013, 08:34 PM
zanwar
Pro

I've uploaded a sample here

https://vimeo.com/69850244
Old 07-07-2013, 08:47 PM
Speeds5
Rennlist Member

Received 166 Likes on 87 Posts

Very nice set up
Old 07-07-2013, 08:47 PM
CRex
Rennlist Member

Received 380 Likes on 195 Posts

No more oak tree

Nice driving... what tires are you on? Sounds like you're often getting into ABS in the big braking zones, but other than that it's a very smooth style!
Old 07-07-2013, 11:38 PM
zanwar
Pro

I'm running a set of Pirelli Corsas that originally came with the car. They're good enough tires but I wouldn't buy them over Michelin Cups.

Quick Reply: GoPro results