Sponsored by: Porsche North Houston

strange starting issue

Search this Thread

Old 02-14-2013, 11:33 AM
sfo
Burning Brakes

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
Default strange starting issue

My 7.2 GT3 has developed a starting problem.

After it has not been used for more than a week (car in sleep mode), it doesn’t start .. just a click and nothing else (all lights on normally). Re-engaging cluth does not make any difference.

I have to lock and unlock the car again, and then try starting again. Usually, the car starts normally after this procedure. Sometimes, I have to lock and unlock a few times.

Once it’s started, I have no problems at all re-starting for the rest of the day.

Car has warranty, so am trying to find out what might be the issue as won’t be able to duplicate fault unless I leave it at OPC for an extended period.

I keep thinking it’s the clutch sensor ... but why is the fault so intermittent?

Been doing this for about 4 weeks.

Battery is new from Oct 12, and is fine.

Any idea what the problem is?
Old 02-14-2013, 11:58 AM
Serge944
Rennlist Member

Received 55 Likes on 29 Posts

There is a recall on the clutch switch. Verify its been done. Mine had intermittent starting issues until it was replaced with the new part.
Old 02-14-2013, 11:59 AM
997gt3north
Drifting

actually sounds normal
Old 02-14-2013, 12:16 PM
BG
Rennlist Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

I have the same exact problem and I do the same things (lock, unlock, remove and reinsert key, depress clutch multiple times, etc., etc.)

If you hear a click and get no dash message to depress clutch pedal then it's not the clutch switch.

I'm thinking either there is an electrical connection that's not tight (battery terminals or on the starter) or the battery has a bad cell. My battery is 1 year old but it's possible that a cell is bad which is possible even with a new battery.

If you hear a click then locking, unlocking, depressing the clutch pedal, etc. has no bearing on the problem since the click is the starter solenoid getting power but not enough to turn the engine over.

My car is in storage for the winter so I can't test my theories until the spring but if i were you iI would have your battery professionally tested for a bad cell and make sure your connections are tight.

It's possible that the ignition switch is bad but i would rule out what i mentioned above before changing out the ignition switch.

Keep me posted since your solution will probably be mine too.
Old 02-14-2013, 01:10 PM
sfo
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by Serge944
There is a recall on the clutch switch. Verify its been done. Mine had intermittent starting issues until it was replaced with the new part.
thanks. Will ask OPC.

Originally Posted by 997gt3north
actually sounds normal
?

Originally Posted by BG
I have the same exact problem and I do the same things (lock, unlock, remove and reinsert key, depress clutch multiple times, etc., etc.)

If you hear a click and get no dash message to depress clutch pedal then it's not the clutch switch.

I'm thinking either there is an electrical connection that's not tight (battery terminals or on the starter) or the battery has a bad cell. My battery is 1 year old but it's possible that a cell is bad which is possible even with a new battery.

If you hear a click then locking, unlocking, depressing the clutch pedal, etc. has no bearing on the problem since the click is the starter solenoid getting power but not enough to turn the engine over.

My car is in storage for the winter so I can't test my theories until the spring but if i were you iI would have your battery professionally tested for a bad cell and make sure your connections are tight.

It's possible that the ignition switch is bad but i would rule out what i mentioned above before changing out the ignition switch.

Keep me posted since your solution will probably be mine too.
good point about the clutch sensor and lack of dash message.

if the battery is bad, surely it won't start at all. If it's a loose terminal connection, wouldn't the warning and interior lights flicker?

will of course update thread
Old 02-14-2013, 03:26 PM
BG
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by sfo
thanks. Will ask OPC.

?

good point about the clutch sensor and lack of dash message.

if the battery is bad, surely it won't start at all. If it's a loose terminal connection, wouldn't the warning and interior lights flicker?

will of course update thread
If your getting a click from the rear it's not the clutch switch since the click proves the starter solenoid is getting power.

If there's a bad cell in the battery or a loose terminal things can appear normal without flickering lights and inconsistent starting.

These are easy things to check before you have to delve deeper.

I said in my previous post that it might be a bad ignition switch but since your getting power to the starter solenoid that is unlikely.
Old 02-14-2013, 03:32 PM
sfo
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by BG
If your getting a click from the rear it's not the clutch switch since the click proves the starter solenoid is getting power.

If there's a bad cell in the battery or a loose terminal things can appear normal without flickering lights and inconsistent starting.

These are easy things to check before you have to delve deeper.

I said in my previous post that it might be a bad ignition switch but since your getting power to the starter solenoid that is unlikely.
the click seems to be coming from the front?

UK 7.2 GT3 owners on pistonheads say it's a faulty starter motor .. 3 of them had the same problem and fix.
Old 02-14-2013, 03:57 PM
997gt3north
Drifting

all im saying is it has happened to me a number of times when the car has been felt for a while
Old 02-14-2013, 04:08 PM
BG
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by sfo
the click seems to be coming from the front?

UK 7.2 GT3 owners on pistonheads say it's a faulty starter motor .. 3 of them had the same problem and fix.
True, it could be the starter motor.

Are you sure the click is coming from the front, don't know what would make a clicking sound from the front.
Old 02-14-2013, 04:25 PM
sfo
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by BG

Are you sure the click is coming from the front
almost certain .. will check and report when I use the car during the weekend.
Old 02-14-2013, 04:26 PM
sfo
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by 997gt3north
all im saying is it has happened to me a number of times when the car has been felt for a while
but not acceptable for me to wonder whether/when the car will start ..
Old 02-14-2013, 04:57 PM
BG
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by sfo
but not acceptable for me to wonder whether/when the car will start ..
No it's not acceptable at all. Being concerned that your car will not start and you'll be stuck somewhere is a problem that has to be fixed.

In any case make sure all the electrical connections are tight, power and ground and your battery is in good shape. If these check out i think the next step is changing the starter motor. That's the plan for my car.

If the click is definetely coming from the front of the car then I have no idea.
Old 02-14-2013, 06:43 PM
GT3.2
Racer

Received 4 Likes on 2 Posts

are your charging your battery? clicking more than once would indicate not enough cranking amps to start car. I am charging my battery monthly due to the amount of sitting the GT3 is doing right now...
Old 02-15-2013, 06:31 AM
sfo
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by BG
Being concerned that your car will not start and you'll be stuck somewhere is a problem that has to be fixed.
so far, failure to start has only ever happened at home.

Originally Posted by GT3.2
are your charging your battery? clicking more than once would indicate not enough cranking amps to start car. I am charging my battery monthly due to the amount of sitting the GT3 is doing right now...
I don't trickle charge the battery. But the car is driven around 100 miles once a week. Plus battery was new from Oct 12.
Old 03-11-2013, 09:13 AM
sfo
Burning Brakes

starter motor OK.

clutch pedal switch replaced .. for the second time (1st time was under a recall).

apparently there was a dodgy batch of switches for the 1st recall.

Quick Reply: strange starting issue