Sponsored by: Porsche North Houston

strange starting issue

Search this Thread

Old 09-08-2013, 12:29 PM
sfo
Burning Brakes

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

my battery died 2 weeks ago.

during the recovery of the car, the key got stuck in the ignition.

on investigation by Porsche dealer, it turns out that the ignition barrel was faulty .. sometimes, it was not fully switching off (with key removed), thus draining the battery, and after a while killing it.

I had noticed that starting seem a little weak a few weeks before the battery died.

with new ignition barrel and new battery, starting is almost scary, it's so quick and vigorous.

am wondering whether the ignition barrel problem had anything to do with the car not starting with clutch depressed, and just the one click sound - the original issue, which is now gone. I had to removed and re insert the key a number of times before the car would start, hence this suspicion.
Old 02-01-2014, 06:08 PM
sfo
Burning Brakes

nearly 5 months on, no problems with starting, even after not using it for nearly 3 weeks
Old 12-12-2014, 12:18 PM
sfo
Burning Brakes

3 weeks ago, starting problems came back

diagnosed as faulty starter motor, which is being replaced under warranty.

seems like my car just doesn't like getting started!
Old 12-14-2014, 04:23 PM
DDSLT5
Rennlist Member

Received 5 Likes on 3 Posts

Interesting thread - will follow into the future
Old 12-15-2014, 03:42 AM
Jamie_GT3
Three Wheelin'

Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts
Default Wiring corroding

One thing I noticed on my car was slow cranking. I did a little research and it seems the cable from the alternator to the starter can get corrosion and in some cases the crimp begins to fail. A number of 997's had the issue, don't know how many GT cars did...
Old 12-15-2014, 07:51 AM
sfo
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by Jamie_GT3
One thing I noticed on my car was slow cranking.
that's one thing that has never happened in all my starting issues
Old 03-04-2015, 05:45 PM
outletvalve
4th Gear

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default starting problems

Hi!
I have related problems on my '05 997S with tiptronic. Trying to start, i hear the "click" (relais of starter motor i guess), but no cranking of the engine. After trying a couple of times, it usely starts. This problems happens NOT all of the times i try to start the car. Battery is fine, is on a CTEK trickle batterycharger all the time.

My technician points to the starter motor, and suggests changing it. But could it be anything else? And can somebody give me an average number of labour hours for this job?

I drive my car once/twice a month. Do owners who drive it daily also encounter this problem, or could it be that this problem is a "weekend driver problem"?

Thanks for the advice!

EDIT: i just noticed i posted the question in the GT2/3 section, i apoligize for this, but still would like to get some advice!

Last edited by outletvalve; 03-04-2015 at 05:56 PM. Reason: noticed wrong section
Old 03-05-2015, 09:51 AM
sfo
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by outletvalve
But could it be anything else?
how about ignition barrel?
Old 11-24-2016, 11:11 AM
outletvalve
4th Gear

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Pulling out an old thread.........,

I posted here in may 2015 (see above), the problem with the car (997 S 2005) not starting (starter motor not turning) and hearing just "the single click" has reappeared .... (sadly)

I'm driving the car not on a regular basis, but the car is connected to a CTEK trickle batterycharger all the time.

Since it appeared again now that is getting getting colder again, i'm wondering if temperature has something to do with it??

Tried to start the car today. Normally i have to trie 2 times before it engages, but today it will not start after x times.

The ignition barrel seems to work normally (to me).

Anybody got any new advice?

Thanks!
Old 02-04-2023, 06:06 PM
Reginald Warlop
8th Gear

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I have a similar issue but found the fix on youtube:
It's the power terminal that is getting a bit rusty, reducing the amount of power going from the battery to the all other components.

Another person found found a junction box between the battery and the engine about half way down the car underneath, where the contacts were a bit green. After cleaning them up with a wire brush, the slow cranking was resolved..

So overall, check out the connections first before replacing the starter motor or the long cables that run through the car.

Last edited by Reginald Warlop; 02-04-2023 at 06:18 PM.
The following users liked this post:
jonwb (02-06-2023)

Quick Reply: strange starting issue