strange starting issue

Search this Thread

Old 03-11-2013, 09:25 AM
almeena58
Racer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by sfo
starter motor OK.

clutch pedal switch replaced .. for the second time (1st time was under a recall).

apparently there was a dodgy batch of switches for the 1st recall.
my pedal switch replaced twice under recall
Old 03-11-2013, 09:39 AM
BG
Rennlist Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by sfo
starter motor OK.

clutch pedal switch replaced .. for the second time (1st time was under a recall).

apparently there was a dodgy batch of switches for the 1st recall.

Not sure how it could have been the clutch switch when the starter solenoid was getting power (clicking sound) and there was no dash message telling you to depress the clutch.
Old 03-11-2013, 09:52 AM
sfo
Burning Brakes

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

true ..

Let's see if I have any starting issues once the car has been left for a few days.

it was fine after I collected from OPC .. I restarted it 3 times, all fine.
Old 04-02-2013, 03:08 PM
sfo
Burning Brakes

car has now started fine quite a number of times since I got the car back 3 weeks ago
Old 04-02-2013, 03:18 PM
BG
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by sfo
car has now started fine quite a number of times since I got the car back 3 weeks ago
Thanks for the info., I'll try changing the clutch switch, hopefully that will be the end of the problem.
Old 04-03-2013, 03:07 PM
sfo
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by BG
Thanks for the info., I'll try changing the clutch switch, hopefully that will be the end of the problem.
good luck! let us know whatever the outcome
Old 04-12-2013, 09:28 AM
sfo
Burning Brakes

the starting issues seems to have returned .. not as bad as before, but still click, nothing.

it starts on the second attempt, rather than 4th or 5th attempts before the clutch pedal swtich was changed.
Old 04-12-2013, 09:55 AM
BG
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by sfo
the starting issues seems to have returned .. not as bad as before, but still click, nothing.

it starts on the second attempt, rather than 4th or 5th attempts before the clutch pedal swtich was changed.
Hmmm, I'm thinking it's the starter and possibly also a clutch switch issue but as mentioned previously if your hearing clicking the starter solenoid is getting power which I would think eliminates the clutch switch as the problem.

Last edited by BG; 04-12-2013 at 03:23 PM.
Old 04-12-2013, 11:22 AM
boat4joe
Rennlist Member

Question 997 GT3 Starting Problem

Have 10-GT3 has same problem...get click in rear then nothing happens...no indicators change on dash...any new ideas?
Thank you!
Old 04-12-2013, 03:28 PM
BG
Rennlist Member

I think if all electrical connections are tight (battery, starter, grounds, etc.) and the battery does not have a bad cell then it has to be the starter.
Old 05-10-2013, 10:24 AM
BG
Rennlist Member

After checking all electrical connections, battery, starter, grounds, etc. for corrosion and tightness and after testing the battery (1 year old Interstate) for a bad cell all of which were fine I changed the starter and for the past 2 weeks my starting problems are gone.

It is a relief to know that when i turn the key the car will start.
Old 05-12-2013, 09:17 AM
hesperus
Racer

my car (late '06 GT3) has had this intermittently for years.

starter motor never changed

clutch switch never changed (i never get the "depress clutch message though)

battery recently changed (and it made no difference)

sometimes it disappears for months. other times, its there every week. sometimes just trying it a couple times and it works. other times it takes more than 10 attempts. tried everying (remove key, replace key, depress clutch a few times, turn key quickly, turn key slowly, jump up and down, rub my tummy, recite "stairway to heaven backwards in swahili, etc) and its the same.

sometimes its there, sometimes its not. so far car has never stranded me, though can be a bit embarrassing at the gas station when there's someone in line.

the ONLY thing that seems to have cured it for an extended period, was my Porsche tech said it was a weak grounding issue. he re-tightened all the grounding points or something (no charge for this) and the problem was absent for over a year, before it showed up again.

its annoying, but until somebody knows for sure, i don't want to spend to change something, only to find that's not the problem after all.
Old 05-12-2013, 11:39 AM
BG
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by hesperus
my car (late '06 GT3) has had this intermittently for years.

starter motor never changed

clutch switch never changed (i never get the "depress clutch message though)

battery recently changed (and it made no difference)

sometimes it disappears for months. other times, its there every week. sometimes just trying it a couple times and it works. other times it takes more than 10 attempts. tried everying (remove key, replace key, depress clutch a few times, turn key quickly, turn key slowly, jump up and down, rub my tummy, recite "stairway to heaven backwards in swahili, etc) and its the same.

sometimes its there, sometimes its not. so far car has never stranded me, though can be a bit embarrassing at the gas station when there's someone in line.

the ONLY thing that seems to have cured it for an extended period, was my Porsche tech said it was a weak grounding issue. he re-tightened all the grounding points or something (no charge for this) and the problem was absent for over a year, before it showed up again.

its annoying, but until somebody knows for sure, i don't want to spend to change something, only to find that's not the problem after all.
Your basically explaining the exact problem I and others have had. Some like myself had it worse than you and some less so.

I found it completely unacceptable and was determined to eliminate it.

I think I examined and eliminated every possible cause (as I explained in previous posts above) before i spent the money for a new starter. One thing you should check that you didn't mention is to take apart all electrical and ground connections and check for corrosion, clean all contacts and retighten. Since your problem went away for a year after the connections were tightened it's possible there's corrosion in one or more of them that's causing your problem.

It's interesting that the Bosch part number for this starter is the same for the 996 and 997 and possibly back to the 993 so your 996 has the same starter.

For me it was money well spent. I turn the key and the car starts, what a concept.
Old 05-14-2013, 03:01 PM
hesperus
Racer

you are absolutely right.

didn't mean to be facetious with my reply. just my long winded way of saying that: 1) it seems to be pretty common; 2) the causes seem to vary, as well as the success rate of attempted fixes; and 3) that until a definitive cause can be found, i'm willing to live with the problem, rather than spending and then finding it doesn't fix MY particular instance of the issue.

its kinda like that RMS issue. conventional wisdom says that if you have it, just live with it, because trying to fix it is futile.

well i had an RMS leak on my 997.1 GT3, and it took Porsche FOUR engine out jobs (all under warranty) to finally get it right. but they did.

YMMV as they say!

peace man!
Old 05-14-2013, 05:29 PM
BG
Rennlist Member

No problem.

My concern was that one day I would get stuck somewhere when my car wouldn't start.

Sometimes it would take 20 or 30 attempts before it would start and i could not live with that.

Quick Reply: strange starting issue