Sponsored by: Porsche North Houston

2010 GT3 CL recall, a NEW recall

Search this Thread

Old 08-07-2013, 11:17 AM
Larry Cable
Rennlist Member

Received 3,428 Likes on 2,241 Posts

Originally Posted by GT3.2
Happened at Rector in burlingame . Dennis Dolen = should be terminated for he total lack of caring, told me customer service does not matter, go someone else, they would NOT replace them (only repair), insult after insult.....finally agreed to replace them. The technician could care less..he's a good friend of Jerry Woods. I would never expect this . Makes you wonder what happens to your car after you drive off. Oh finally both managers agreed that my car was just "another car"....nothing special ... Got it Rector. NEVER again will I ever step foot in that store.
Thanks for sharing, Rector is now on my "dont use" list.

I can recommend Gary Wright @ Sonnen Porsche.
Old 08-09-2013, 03:00 PM
JB911
Rennlist Member

Received 433 Likes on 307 Posts

Reading "Total 911" magazine the other day I saw an article on a shop that specializes in CL-pictures seemed to show the car on the ground as a tech handled a breaker bar-
I just went to a wheel shop here, good friend owns it, and I wanted to know if they had experience with CL service. He said yes, he's done quite a few. We discussed the procedure, I said there are specific instructions for the car to be up in the air, brakes applied to loosen them. He sort of said yes, but that at the track most guys crack them loose on the ground and it's easier than applying the brakes. Any thoughts on that?

When it's time for new tires, soon, I'm between going to the dealer and his shop-the advantage of his shop is that I can stand there and participate/supervise. Getting up to the dealer's service area is not impossible but quite a bit harder since they're busy with so many cars.

Otherwise I feel like removing the wheels myself since I already bought the torque wrench and I prefer DIY
in many cases.
Chipping calipers to me is also unacceptable-the dealer in Houston who performed the CL recall a few months ago seems to have done a flawless job, my calipers still look new-

Best,
JB
Old 08-09-2013, 08:25 PM
NBTBRV8
Racer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by JB911
Reading "Total 911" magazine the other day I saw an article on a shop that specializes in CL-pictures seemed to show the car on the ground as a tech handled a breaker bar-
I just went to a wheel shop here, good friend owns it, and I wanted to know if they had experience with CL service. He said yes, he's done quite a few. We discussed the procedure, I said there are specific instructions for the car to be up in the air, brakes applied to loosen them. He sort of said yes, but that at the track most guys crack them loose on the ground and it's easier than applying the brakes. Any thoughts on that?

When it's time for new tires, soon, I'm between going to the dealer and his shop-the advantage of his shop is that I can stand there and participate/supervise. Getting up to the dealer's service area is not impossible but quite a bit harder since they're busy with so many cars.

Otherwise I feel like removing the wheels myself since I already bought the torque wrench and I prefer DIY
in many cases.
Chipping calipers to me is also unacceptable-the dealer in Houston who performed the CL recall a few months ago seems to have done a flawless job, my calipers still look new-

Best,
JB
I crack them loose on the ground but don't go any further than that.
Old 12-07-2013, 11:01 AM
dertub
Three Wheelin'

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

Rockville Porsche wouldn't replace mine either. Sold me service and let the car sit for 3 days claiming parts availability. I finally took it back.
Old 01-18-2014, 05:56 AM
RAPID
Racer

Question to the friends of the Nurburgring: are Ring miles equivalent to "Race track" miles when it comes to servicing the CL's? I.e. 4200 miles of race track vs 4200 miles of race track?
Old 01-19-2014, 05:23 AM
ttdan
Advanced

Received 6 Likes on 1 Post

Originally Posted by RAPID
Question to the friends of the Nurburgring: are Ring miles equivalent to "Race track" miles when it comes to servicing the CL's? I.e. 4200 miles of race track vs 4200 miles of race track?
Fast laps or slow laps? Wet laps or dry laps? There's the nub of the stupid problem they have created right there. You need to ask Porsche's lawyers that question i think.
Old 01-19-2014, 05:50 AM
911rox
Rennlist Member

Received 24 Likes on 16 Posts

They stipulate 'track use', they don't give guidelines RAPID so as most would be cornering at considerably higher Gs and reaching speeds way above freeway speeds at any track including the NBR, those miles would count... Unless it was a touring lap at freeway speeds and I doubt anyone shows that level of restraint
Old 01-19-2014, 10:39 AM
brake dust
Rennlist Member

Received 35 Likes on 27 Posts

No mention of autocross either - but some suggest that its harder on the suspension than the track. I'm logging both - want the car in tip top condition always.
Old 01-20-2014, 05:33 AM
RAPID
Racer

Thanks for your thoughts guys. That is what I was afraid of: I do on average 80 laps a year so around1700 km/year. I think I am due for the first change of rear hubs. ;-(
Old 01-20-2014, 05:38 AM
almeena58
Racer

Originally Posted by RAPID
Thanks for your thoughts guys. That is what I was afraid of: I do on average 80 laps a year so around1700 km/year. I think I am due for the first change of rear hubs. ;-(
put in consideration hubs changed under the last Porsche recall if I am not mistaken
Old 08-15-2014, 10:42 AM
promocop
Burning Brakes

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Was there ever a published list of VINS affected by the recall? Trying to find out if my recent acquisition was affected
Old 08-15-2014, 02:41 PM
Gofishracing
Race Car

Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts

They all were effected.
Old 08-15-2014, 09:19 PM
NBTBRV8
Racer

Originally Posted by promocop
Was there ever a published list of VINS affected by the recall? Trying to find out if my recent acquisition was affected
Your dealer can tell you if the recall has been applied to your vehicle by looking it up on their system.
Old 08-15-2014, 09:22 PM
promocop
Burning Brakes

TKS JUST did that and it was performed!
Old 08-20-2014, 04:10 PM
promocop
Burning Brakes

I know I saw it here somewhere but now can't find it. What's the ft lbs torque for the CLs?

Quick Reply: 2010 GT3 CL recall, a NEW recall