997 GT2/GT3 Forum 2005-2012
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: Porsche North Houston

2010 GT3 CL recall, a NEW recall

Old 12-19-2012, 07:04 PM
manouk
Instructor

Received 11 Likes on 7 Posts

R we suppose to keep a record of street miles also?
Old 12-19-2012, 07:46 PM
911rox
Rennlist Member

Received 24 Likes on 16 Posts

Originally Posted by manouk
R we suppose to keep a record of street miles also?
Nope, just track miles... Maintenance schedule for hubs of ALL CL cars is based around track miles usage...
Old 12-19-2012, 08:05 PM
allans
Burning Brakes

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

7k track miles is about two years for a well used street/track car. Not to bad and most will never do that much. You then have a lot of data to determine if you want to go with a five bolt conversion or stay with center locks. Yes? Allan
Old 12-19-2012, 10:05 PM
Horstair
Racer

Received 32 Likes on 25 Posts

That'll be interesting for the German dudes who drive their GT3s on the Ring. It's a public road, right? Not a race track, right? And probably not any worse than a great american back road in the Appalachians or in the Santa Monica canyons for that matter, right? So, in the future, what will be considered "track use"? I guess all the Florida boys have "track use".
But what about us "slow farts" just sightseeing at Laguna? With OEM tires and no fancy, dancy suspension bits? What do I tell a buyer of my "pristine" GT3 down the road when asked: "Has the car been on the track?" I'll probably say " a few times" Not having those fancy "race seats" (just the *** seats), OEM wheels and no roll bar will probably help... (Start taking your "after market" stuff off your car)
And ohhh, I see the "white lies" to begin... Because without it, you're going to be about $20K short on your "used GT3 value"... Time to sell your GT3 before this gets out...
Maybe the only solace in this whole mess is that the new 991S with the Powerkit is supposedly as good or better than the (regular) GT3 or maybe even the coveted RS. And that thing has 5 lugs
Old 12-20-2012, 01:46 AM
mooty
GT3 player par excellence
Lifetime Rennlist

Received 5,480 Likes on 2,269 Posts

Originally Posted by 911rox
If they'd just put RS hubs on gt3s and no maintenance schedule... Agreed, we are paranoid...

RS hubs on gt3 and implementation of a 7k km time out schedule... porsche's way of saying they are junk and they have no confidence in them...

Lets not kid ourselves...

5 lug hubs don't time out requiring carrier changes to avoid wheel loss... Their bearings time out which is a fair cop...
no, 5 lug hub do time out.
usually every other time you change wheel bearing, the hub is done.

but this CL is well.... quite a disaster.
Old 12-20-2012, 01:52 AM
911rox
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by gstahl
They did not change them, just inspect and new nuts.
Gstahl, i would be talking to a lawyer! Give them a copy of the letters floating about that prove a change was made and that your car wasn't updated! Dealer or Porsche will have some explaining to do, especially about the claims they introduced service intervals last year and they appeared via net this week! For crying out loud, the f@&kers haven't even sent a supplemental out to the rest of us with this info! You shouldnn't have to pay, track or no track...
Old 12-20-2012, 01:57 AM
mooty
GT3 player par excellence
Lifetime Rennlist

Received 5,480 Likes on 2,269 Posts

Gstahl, i would be talking to a lawyer! Give them a copy of the letters floating about that prove a change was made and that your car wasn't updated! Dealer or Porsche will have some explaining to do, especially about the claims they introduced service intervals last year and they appeared via net this week! For crying out loud, the f@&kers haven't even sent a supplemental out to the rest of us with this info! You shouldnn't have to pay, track or no track...
i agree!
Old 12-20-2012, 05:44 AM
911rox
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by mooty
i agree!
Seriously, having dwelled on it for the past couple of hours, Porsche do not have a leg to stand on with any customer who loses a wheel on track or otherwise until this "revised CL maintenance schedule" is received as a supplemental manual insert by every owner. The courts will chew them up for acknowledging these cars are track focused, they have components that Porsche now indicate must be timed out and yet Porsche have not as yet provided a maintenance schedule to owners after almost 3 years!

Gstahl, seek some legal advice from a good lawyer!!!
Old 12-20-2012, 09:32 AM
cbweaver1
Racer

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by cbweaver1
I received confirmation from my local dealer today that my car is on the list (build date Nov. '09). She is tucked away for the winter so I won't be going in until the end of Q1 '13. When I asked about other CL models getting recalled, there was silence.

Many thanks for posting this Viking. I'd never have checked into this if it were not for your OP.
I paid a visit to my dealer today to speak with them face to face. When I wrote the message above their response to me was via email. They were extremely accomodating like always and went through everything in detail with me. I was told that there are no "defects" with the existing hubs but the recalled hubs are being upgraded to the same part number used on the GT2RS. I did not get into the details of "if" later GT3's did or did not receive the beefier hubs from the factory, they weren't able to answer this question. They confirmed the recall is only on the referenced VIN's and no other C/L models. When I asked their opinion about wheels snapping off their answer was straight from the Porsche hymnal book if only Porsche wheels are used and a Porsche dealer does the wheel service or change there are no problems. *Guys before you fire up your key boards don't shoot the messenger, I'm just reporting what I was told. Personally, I'm not doing a damn thing except getting the replacement hubs installed next year and sticking with my Porsche OEM rims for now. I don't even come close to doing 30+DE's a year now like I did in my C2S so for me it is a non-issue. However, if I was swapping wheels every other weekend at the track I would not be doing it in a street C/L car but a dedicated track car or preferably a Cup. Wheels issues aside, the overall safety quotient is many times higher in a real race car. I hope this helps some one.
Old 12-20-2012, 11:23 AM
gstahl
Instructor

Received 15 Likes on 7 Posts

I have had one for the past few months. The answer is cost, at what point do your legal costs exceed the repair costs and while all of us agree this is plain stupid one, still has to prove it versus a company saying the car was being driven on the track and based on their nhtsa letter lkkely you must not have following the maintenance procedures because the only failures we have seen are due to improper care.

In the end yes I have a lawyer. I wish it was a slam dunk but it is not. We are still pressing.

Seriously, having dwelled on it for the past couple of hours, Porsche do not have a leg to stand on with any customer who loses a wheel on track or otherwise until this "revised CL maintenance schedule" is received as a supplemental manual insert by every owner. The courts will chew them up for acknowledging these cars are track focused, they have components that Porsche now indicate must be timed out and yet Porsche have not as yet provided a maintenance schedule to owners after almost 3 years!

Gstahl, seek some legal advice from a good lawyer!!!
Old 12-20-2012, 11:28 AM
gstahl
Instructor

Received 15 Likes on 7 Posts

I will add Porsche has said non-Porsche maintenance, which I assume means any work not by your dealer and they count wheels and tires as aftermarket equipment which can void a warranty even with the exact same figment. So you or someone else changing wheels is something Porsche does not want to see when considering covering center lock failures.

Go figure

:-(
Old 12-20-2012, 05:39 PM
modoz61
Racer

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Hi All
Got my letter yesterday
This will be the second replacement of the rear hubs for me
The first was related to being an early delivery prior to the revised torque setting requirements
Now the recall, that said I have always followed the revised procedure
Of Interest I have never seen an update to my owners manual for the first change let alone an amendment page relating to this new requirement.
Perhaps Owner Manuals are certified uncontrolled copies and as such we dont get updates that fit into the manual - dissapointing - I have attached my letter at the appropriate page in the manual for subsequent owner - if that ever happens
I believe it to be more than possible that second owners may never have received the updated information with the change in original settings and if not using a Porsche Dealer or someone in that information circle then perhaps the problems could arise by continuing to follow the information in the original owner manual.

My story on CL's
Took delivery of a Jan 2010 build in May 2010
ran in as per owners manual
took to dealer for vitals check and first service
Ran first track day at a dealer sponsored event running with stock street Michelin PSC tyres
First track day completed no offs
after the car cooled and it was time to drive home I set off and there was a knocking sound from the rear, motion related, hard to pick if speed related as it seemed constant despite speed, to that end I thought drive train.
returned car to dealer for investigation,
placing car on hoist no wheel movement could be detected by hand, well even the original torque requirement was quite a lot (if memory serves 350 or 450 - I bought the Porsche Big Stick Torque wrench which was calibrated to the required setting and this was used even by the dealer)

they took it for a road test and also heard the noise, contacted Porsche Australia and then in turn Porsche Germany

They also removed both rear wheels and checked everything, slight marks but well within normal wear indications.

interestingly on refitting the rear wheels the sound had gone. So now narrowed the culprit down.

Revised setting came back as the answer from Germany along with replacement hubs all round.

My torque wrench was sent to be recalibrated to the new upgraded setting another 100 Nm if I recall

Since that time I have not had any issue with the hubs and religously followed the procedure each and every change, I run 3 sets of wheels all Porsche at the moment, street, wets, slicks

Have completed over 14000kms of hard track time with no problems

I understand people moving to 5 lug but to my knowledge noone in Australia has had a CL failure.

The new maintenance shedule certainly adds some cost has anyone looked at the recommended intervals for the 997.1 5 lug hub systems?
Old 12-20-2012, 06:48 PM
LuckyP
Racer

Received 168 Likes on 29 Posts

My 2009 car goes in for the hub replacement early next year. It had the nut change and inspection but no other parts required changing.

As I said over on PH, I bought this porsche after careful consideration of the running costs based on the maintenance schedule for which I signed my contract with the opc to by the car. Unless there is a T&C in my original paperwork that says that porsche reserve the right to change the service schedule and pass on the cost to me, I will be expecting them to offer the hub change at their cost if and when I reach their new schedule track mileage.

Anyone come across this 'get out' clause yet in the sales contract or owners manual?

Am I deluded in my thought patern?

Pete. (Still a P-car fan but running low on patience) ;(
Old 12-20-2012, 07:09 PM
LuckyP
Racer

Received 168 Likes on 29 Posts

I think I've found it in my invoice terms and conditions under design or specification changes. It offers the purchaser the right to cancel the contract within 14 days of receiving notification of the specification change.

I haven't had a letter yet (booked my car in after a random check to see if there were any outstanding campaigns) so I might take this route.

Pete.
Old 12-20-2012, 08:36 PM
Izzone
Nordschleife Master

Received 291 Likes on 146 Posts

Originally Posted by cbweaver1
I paid a visit to my dealer today to speak with them face to face. When I wrote the message above their response to me was via email. They were extremely accomodating like always and went through everything in detail with me. I was told that there are no "defects" with the existing hubs but the recalled hubs are being upgraded to the same part number used on the GT2RS. I did not get into the details of "if" later GT3's did or did not receive the beefier hubs from the factory, they weren't able to answer this question. They confirmed the recall is only on the referenced VIN's and no other C/L models. When I asked their opinion about wheels snapping off their answer was straight from the Porsche hymnal book if only Porsche wheels are used and a Porsche dealer does the wheel service or change there are no problems. *Guys before you fire up your key boards don't shoot the messenger, I'm just reporting what I was told. Personally, I'm not doing a damn thing except getting the replacement hubs installed next year and sticking with my Porsche OEM rims for now. I don't even come close to doing 30+DE's a year now like I did in my C2S so for me it is a non-issue. However, if I was swapping wheels every other weekend at the track I would not be doing it in a street C/L car but a dedicated track car or preferably a Cup. Wheels issues aside, the overall safety quotient is many times higher in a real race car. I hope this helps some one.
Chris....based on my usage I'm parking my street car soon. I couldn't agree with you more

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: 2010 GT3 CL recall, a NEW recall