Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: Porsche North Houston

GT3 Alternative - BAC Mono - NSFW

Old 09-05-2012, 04:19 PM
savyboy
Drifting

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by utkinpol
and from what i understood you are not really a mechanic, so, what are you going to do if you bring it to a track somewhere and it goes kaput?
Have you read any of my posts over the past three years? Who's hobby shop and garage do you think was in the background of all of them? I do ALL of my own work with exception of physically dropping engines and alignments Working on the Mono will be a breeze. Way easier than my Porsches, there's no centerlocks either!

PS- I graduated from Nashville Auto Diesel College way back when, worked as a full-time tech for 5 years, and in aftermarket automotive parts for 15 years. So, by now I've figured out which end of the wrench to use...lol.

Originally Posted by Serge944
Speaking of alternatives, the new formula ford just came out. Supercar performance out of the 1.0 liter inline 3. And you can go race it too.

Not sure how much it costs, but I assume substantially less than the Mono.
I love it! But if you dig more than an inch deep you will discover it's Apples/Oranges comparison. What is the price of the FF? Is available in the US? If not, when?

Folks are bringing up comparisons left and right but it sounds like knee-jerk reactions and perhaps full homework has not been done?
Old 09-05-2012, 04:48 PM
zanwar
Pro

Originally Posted by Carrera GT
What's GM getting for every Volt they sell? Some say $300K in government subsidies? Maybe BAC should pop a washing machine motor in there with a couple of lithium boat batteries and get the green vehicle rebates rolling.
GM doesn't get any real subsidies for the Volt. Purchaser of the car gets a $7.5k fed tax rebate. Sometimes extra from the state. There were some loans / grants upwards in the supply chain for the car, mainly the battery supplier. The $250k+ per car figure was nonsense intended to provoke outrage. BAC might get a tax deal from the UK government if they're located in an enterprise zone or something like that. Basically it's expensive to make a car like this. A formula mazda package is $45k, and that's a really simple car. The atom is about $70k with appropriate track day equipment. A Caterham is similar. To buy a running Formula Ford in the UK you're looking at over $70k. If someone walked into BAC with a hundred million dollars and made a bet that US consumers would buy 500 cars a year they could probably get the unit price close to $75k. But it looks like this is a company started by a handful of engineers backed by a few million GBP. Hopefully they can make a go of it. The world needs more of this kind of innovation.
Old 09-05-2012, 04:48 PM
lowside67
Rennlist Member

Received 37 Likes on 27 Posts

In fairness, you appear to have bought one already so trying to attempt to convince you that you bought the "wrong" car is a bit futile at this point. We have merely pointed out that you are convinced the Mono is better than the GT3 because it is faster and cheaper to run, but if those are the only reasons to buy a car, you can get a lot faster for a lot less money yet. In fact, to blow $140k on an untested trailer-only DE car is a bit ridiculous in my opinion when for half of that or less there are a ton of options that are much faster, much cheaper to maintain, and much lighter on consumables.

Mark
Old 09-05-2012, 04:54 PM
utkinpol
Rennlist Member

Received 22 Likes on 13 Posts

Originally Posted by savyboy
PS- I graduated from Nashville Auto Diesel College way back when, worked as a full-time tech for 5 years, and in aftermarket automotive parts for 15 years. So, by now I've figured out which end of the wrench to use...lol.
sorry, i apparently confused you with somebody else.
it is what happens when you read rennlist while working work.
Old 09-05-2012, 05:32 PM
deputydog95
Rennlist Member

Received 29 Likes on 19 Posts

Originally Posted by lowside67
In fairness, you appear to have bought one already so trying to attempt to convince you that you bought the "wrong" car is a bit futile at this point. We have merely pointed out that you are convinced the Mono is better than the GT3 because it is faster and cheaper to run, but if those are the only reasons to buy a car, you can get a lot faster for a lot less money yet. In fact, to blow $140k on an untested trailer-only DE car is a bit ridiculous in my opinion when for half of that or less there are a ton of options that are much faster, much cheaper to maintain, and much lighter on consumables.

Mark
Shouldn't Saavy's 4.0 be super cheap to run after doing the "$35k never wear out" brake job on that car?
Old 09-05-2012, 06:09 PM
Alan Smithee
Rennlist Member

Received 259 Likes on 137 Posts

Not sure, hadn't heard about this? I know TG has done several comparos with the Mono.
Conversation at 2:08:

http://www.streetfire.net/video/top-gear-season-18-episode-6_part-1_2378449.htm
Old 09-05-2012, 06:55 PM
TRAKCAR
Rennlist Member

Received 1,585 Likes on 733 Posts

Ouch at 2:08...
Old 09-05-2012, 07:51 PM
Carrera GT
Wordsmith
Rennlist Member

Received 10 Likes on 9 Posts

Originally Posted by zanwar
GM doesn't get any real subsidies for the Volt. Purchaser of the car gets a $7.5k fed tax rebate. Sometimes extra from the state. There were some loans / grants upwards in the supply chain for the car, mainly the battery supplier. The $250k+ per car figure was nonsense intended to provoke outrage. BAC might get a tax deal from the UK government if they're located in an enterprise zone or something like that. Basically it's expensive to make a car like this. A formula mazda package is $45k, and that's a really simple car. The atom is about $70k with appropriate track day equipment. A Caterham is similar. To buy a running Formula Ford in the UK you're looking at over $70k. If someone walked into BAC with a hundred million dollars and made a bet that US consumers would buy 500 cars a year they could probably get the unit price close to $75k. But it looks like this is a company started by a handful of engineers backed by a few million GBP. Hopefully they can make a go of it. The world needs more of this kind of innovation.
GM admitted the effective subsidies exist. When this came to light last year, it was just another "why is the government spending billions on baubles when cities are flooded and never get dime one?" situation.

Now that the Volt has stopped selling and GM has stopped building them for lack of demand and static inventory levels, it's become another "money down the drain" story.

The "simple math" (as a GM spokes-puppet admits) does equate to a quarter million in government money per car to date. That astronomical largesse will improve as unit sales accumulate, but now that the selling has stalled far short of projections (surprise) it has become a billion dollar racket where GM ("we paid back the bailout") continues to receive government money.

No nonsense, just corruption.
Old 09-05-2012, 07:56 PM
TRAKCAR
Rennlist Member

GM admitted the effective subsidies exist. When this came to light last year, it was just another "why is the government spending billions on baubles when cities are flooded and never get dime one?" situation.

Now that the Volt has stopped selling and GM has stopped building them for lack of demand and static inventory levels, it's become another "money down the drain" story.

The "simple math" (as a GM spokes-puppet admits) does equate to a quarter million in government money per car to date. That astronomical largesse will improve as unit sales accumulate, but now that the selling has stalled far short of projections (surprise) it has become a billion dollar racket where GM ("we paid back the bailout") continues to receive government money.

Well said. Thank you. Disgusting.
Old 09-05-2012, 08:14 PM
zanwar
Pro

Whatever. I'm sick of arguing with faith based conspiracy theorists.
Old 09-05-2012, 10:22 PM
savyboy
Drifting

BAC might get a tax deal from the UK government if they're located in an enterprise zone or something like that. Basically it's expensive to make a car like this. A formula mazda package is $45k, and that's a really simple car. The atom is about $70k with appropriate track day equipment. A Caterham is similar. To buy a running Formula Ford in the UK you're looking at over $70k. If someone walked into BAC with a hundred million dollars and made a bet that US consumers would buy 500 cars a year they could probably get the unit price close to $75k. But it looks like this is a company started by a handful of engineers backed by a few million GBP. Hopefully they can make a go of it. The world needs more of this kind of innovation.
Nice to read a thoughtful post.

Originally Posted by utkinpol
sorry, i apparently confused you with somebody else.
it is what happens when you read rennlist while working work.
No harm, no foul!

Originally Posted by Alan Smithee
Conversation at 2:08:
No idea what specific problem his comment was in reference to? JC is not a factor that weighed in my decision making process, nor will he ever be (because I don't need an entertainer to interpret for me) but he has made positive comments elsewhere regarding the Mono for those would consider him to have credibility.

Guys, I appreciate all the save me from myself comments. I've got a quite sturdy foundation of technical ability and understanding so the chances are good that what I see in this actually exist. If you don't have a very good technical background then you don't understand what is contained in the package (said as unemotional statement of fact, not derogatorily). BAC filled a slot in the market that I always intuitively knew existed. If you take the time and make the effort to actually dig in to the details, I suspect you'll no longer feel obligated to toss out the initial reactions of value and perceived competition.
Old 09-05-2012, 10:40 PM
Carrera GT
Wordsmith
Rennlist Member

Received 10 Likes on 9 Posts

Whatever. I'm sick of arguing with faith based conspiracy theorists.
I don't know if that's meant as somehow droll, but it reads more like "troll."

Anyway, I think "faith based" and "conspiracy theorist" are two separate animals at opposites. In any case, you'd be arguing with GM public relations -- in response to the report on the subsidies, GM had little to say:
Greg Martin, director of Policy and Washington Communications for GM, wrote in an email, [the] Mackinac Center's math was "simple and selective." However, he offered no data or specifics to support his assertion.
I don't believe either side of the argument -- somewhere in-between is the truth. I see no reason to believe GM -- their collapse and bail out is justification to question their candor and scrutinize their use of taxpayer dollars going into subsidies meant to keep them afloat as an employer and as a retirement fund. Remember those auto industry execs flying on private jets to pop up to DC and ask for bail outs?

When talking about over a billion dollars in government subsidies, GM declined to refute the report and instead turned up their PR machine to polarize the argument into wild extremes. I'm sure they put their legal beagles to task and they found no way to refute the report, so they tried to cloud the situation.
Old 09-05-2012, 10:54 PM
ChrisF
Rennlist Member

Received 887 Likes on 335 Posts

Since when did owning any of these cars ever represent any sort of fiscal sense? They are all grand toys and each owner must make their own value assessment relative to cost. Pete, I hope the Mono is all you're hoping for and more and I look forward to living vicariously through your future posts. In my post lotto-winning world, I would follow a similar path of vehicle purchase, development, discovery and the driving fun that ensures. Cheers!
Old 09-05-2012, 10:58 PM
Alan Smithee
Rennlist Member

Received 259 Likes on 137 Posts

No idea what specific problem his comment was in reference to? JC is not a factor that weighed in my decision making process, nor will he ever be (because I don't need an entertainer to interpret for me) but he has made positive comments elsewhere regarding the Mono for those would consider him to have credibility.
Nor was I suggesting that he should be. I just happened to watch the episode last night; it was the first I had heard of the Mono. Seems very cool - what passes as street legal in the UK never ceases to amaze. Good luck with it...
Old 09-05-2012, 11:06 PM
TRAKCAR
Rennlist Member

Guys, I appreciate all the save me from myself comments.
You went beyond savable about Nov 2008.....

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: GT3 Alternative - BAC Mono - NSFW