Sponsored by: Porsche North Houston

PCCB pads advice

Search this Thread

Old 11-15-2011, 11:23 AM
GTSilver
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default PCCB pads advice

Im considering running Pagid Green P50 pads for my 997 GT2 PCCB brakes because I used to run the stock OEM pads but the last time on the track they got burned and their performance on the track weren't that good.

For this season I got SS brake lines and Castrol SRF brake fluid and would like to run the Pagid P50 Green pads as these are they only ones that Porsche Motor sports recommend for PCCB.

But I've searched regarding this matter and couldn't get a definite answer on what pads to run ? and I don't want to change my PCCB's to steel rotors.

So should I run stock pads or the Pagid P50 Green pads for the track ?

Last thing does the 997 GT2 have rear brake ducts or not ?

Thanks
Old 11-15-2011, 11:35 AM
roberga
Nordschleife Master

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

PJS refers to a TSB for the GT3 regarding anything other than stock pads. I would check with the Porsche shop first regarding your weapon. I ran the Porsche motorsports P-50 on both 996 and 997 GT3 and they were great! I did see a few 997GT3 where the pads worn in a wedge pattern. Not sure why or if that was the reason for the TSB.
I would think that with track use the stock pads will just plain melt away.
Old 11-15-2011, 11:43 AM
911SLOW
Admin
Lifetime Rennlist

Received 122 Likes on 95 Posts

https://rennlist.com/forums/997-gt2-...highlight=PCCB
Old 11-15-2011, 11:56 AM
Izzone
Nordschleife Master

Received 291 Likes on 146 Posts

Shelve teh PCCB and buy something track friendly

I ran P50 on PCCB.....they wear faster
Old 11-15-2011, 11:57 AM
GTSilver
Instructor

roberga - thanks for the quick reply. Our dealer here doesn't have an idea regarding the pagid P50 pads. where can i look for the TSB for the GT3 regarding anything other than stock pads ? Regarding the pads that you've seen that are wedged they may have been that they werent broken properly in if you understand what I mean, maybe im not sure.

Stock pads arent that good on the track thats why im considering P50 but I dont want to damage my rotors thats why I want to know if there are rear brake ducts for the 997 GT2.
Old 11-15-2011, 11:59 AM
GTSilver
Instructor

Thanks 911SLOW i just saw your link
Old 11-15-2011, 12:33 PM
savyboy
Drifting

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I ran through several sets of P50's (Greens) on three different cars. I would NOT ever use them again in either street or track car.

1. Very abrasive to the rotors.
2. Stopping ability when pads are cold is potentially borderline suicidal. (very little bite when cold)

There is a new pad developed and undergoing testing right now. I call it a P45 (not official designation) as it has the benefits of the P50 to stand up better to hard tracking conditions while preserving the day-to-day streetability of the OE P40 material. You can't buy it now, look for availability in time for spring tracking season if all goes well.
Old 11-15-2011, 12:44 PM
GTSilver
Instructor

I think im going with P50 as the stock pads are near useless on the track and as i said im not considering changing my rotors. Thanks all for the info and help.

I just want to know if the gt2 comes with rear brake ducts or should i get them because these will help cool the rotors.

savyboy - thanks for advice but i cant wait until spring as our track season in this part of the world starts now and ends in spring so maybe for the next rack season and all things go well I'll get the new pads.

Thanks again for your help
Old 11-15-2011, 01:00 PM
Izzone
Nordschleife Master

Received 291 Likes on 146 Posts

Originally Posted by GTSilver
I think im going with P50 as the stock pads are near useless on the track and as i said im not considering changing my rotors. Thanks all for the info and help.

I just want to know if the gt2 comes with rear brake ducts or should i get them because these will help cool the rotors.

savyboy - thanks for advice but i cant wait until spring as our track season in this part of the world starts now and ends in spring so maybe for the next rack season and all things go well I'll get the new pads.

Check with Endless Brakes

I think they make a ceramic friendly pad
Old 11-15-2011, 02:27 PM
997gt3north
Drifting

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by GTSilver

I have a lot of posts on this topic - do a search.
A P45 (between P40 & P50) is probably going to be a very good pad if it comes.
Until then, I only use P50s on the track - probably have more experience on them than maybe anyone with a street gt3.
I live in a cold climate (Toronto) and I can get to the track without killing myself.
I don't daily the car, but I could - but it would be far, far from optimal with P50s - they are true track pads.
I wont say I daily drove a car with Hoosiers R6s and P50s - but I did for a few weeks as I was hitting the track a bunch - by daily I mean hitting the local starbucks or car wash to get the track grime off the car.

Different strokes for different folks they say - but to me having a tracked prepped gt3 in the garage with R6s, P50s, cup lip and re-valved suspension is the perfect daily driver (for days you are going to the track)
Old 11-15-2011, 02:27 PM
Yorkshireman
Instructor

Don't know why you say the stock pads are useless. I have several track days on mine and I love them. Wear is even and reasonable. Noise is virtually nill.
Old 11-15-2011, 03:13 PM
TrackDays247.com
Former Vendor

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

As of recently, Porsche only approves of OEM pads, nothing else.
Old 11-15-2011, 05:04 PM
997gt3north
Drifting

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by Yorkshireman
Don't know why you say the stock pads are useless. I have several track days on mine and I love them. Wear is even and reasonable. Noise is virtually nill.
The stock pads are not useless.

Depending on how you classify a track day (number of sessions, etc), you should get between 2-7 days on the rears - couple more on the fronts. They are a perfect arrive and drive pad, they just don't last as long as many people desire and don't have the bite that some people want. If you are use to a true 'track pad' - they don't measure up. That said, unlike every other street pad, they actually keep working at track temps - they just don't last very long - and don't have that track pad 'bite'.

If this combo P45 is going to exist - it will basically be a perfect for almost everyone with a GT3. To me, the current P40 pad is a perfect street pad for a TT car.
Old 11-15-2011, 08:30 PM
roberga
Nordschleife Master

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by Craig - RennStore.com
As of recently, Porsche only approves of OEM pads, nothing else.
that is all I ever used. The Porshce greens which were P-50 in front and thicker pad but P-40 material on the 996GT3, If I recall they went with P-50 on all four with the 997.

I also think they are the same pad as for the CGT.
Old 11-16-2011, 05:40 AM
TTurbine
Pro

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

Have you considered the GT2 RS pads? i Think they are better than the oem on the regular GT2...
There is a member here running them i beleive Z06 ? maybe he can chime in

Quick Reply: PCCB pads advice