Notices
997 GT2/GT3 Forum 2005-2012
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: Porsche North Houston

Centerlocks - I'm out! ....Hello 5-lug conversion!

Old 08-26-2011, 06:02 PM
My993C2
Three Wheelin'

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by DJN
Ok, as many of you already know I am not a big fan of the Porsche street-going centerlock wheel set up. While I believe the arrangement is a very slick piece of engineering and the OEM wheels are really quite cool, the additional time, effort, care, and special maintenance to keep them safe and working perfectly is not fitting well with my “track-rat” lifestyle. After well over 60 full wheel and tire changes (yep, all four wheels!), investing in the proper tools and an extra set of wheels, and following the past and current Porsche guidelines to the letter, I have had enough!!!!
Porsche is usually on top of the game, but I wonder if these center locking wheels for their production road cars was more for the "wanna be" hype than anything else. Yes in racing conditions they make sense. But for the "track rats"?

Note to self: "I you are ever in the market for a 997.2 GT3, look for one who has been converted back to the 5 lug nuts. If someone like Doug doesn't like the center locks, you know you will only be worse". But how many 997.2 GT3s will be converted? nudge nudge hint hint ... Doug's car will be converted and it is an awesome car. It's fast, it's already silver (so it hides the dirt) and it sounds awesome on the track with his after market exhaust. But besides finding the money for a 997.2 GT3 (a challenge in itself), I will also need to convince Doug he would be better off in a 4.0 GT3 RS so that his converted 997.2 GT3 would come on the market. haha ... and pigs fly.
Old 08-26-2011, 06:24 PM
ATL Fahrer
Rennlist Member

Received 84 Likes on 43 Posts

My car will be converted. Just waiting for empirical data
Old 08-26-2011, 07:00 PM
trophy
Race Car

Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts

Originally Posted by My993C2
Porsche is usually on top of the game, but I wonder if these center locking wheels for their production road cars was more for the "wanna be" hype than anything else. Yes in racing conditions they make sense. But for the "track rats"?

Note to self: "I you are ever in the market for a 997.2 GT3, look for one who has been converted back to the 5 lug nuts. If someone like Doug doesn't like the center locks, you know you will only be worse". But how many 997.2 GT3s will be converted? nudge nudge hint hint ... Doug's car will be converted and it is an awesome car. It's fast, it's already silver (so it hides the dirt) and it sounds awesome on the track with his after market exhaust. But besides finding the money for a 997.2 GT3 (a challenge in itself), I will also need to convince Doug he would be better off in a 4.0 GT3 RS so that his converted 997.2 GT3 would come on the market. haha ... and pigs fly.
You do realize that I have first right of refusal on that car
Old 08-26-2011, 07:02 PM
Nugget
Rennlist Member

Received 17 Likes on 12 Posts

No need to shop only for cars which have been converted, it doesn't sound like it will be a particularly expensive or challenging process once the pioneers like Doug have blazed the trail for everyone else.

I figure it'll eventually be like putting in time-serts for the caliper bolts and nice rounded studs to replace the stock lug bolts -- a step that all the track junkies do, grumble about briefly, then never really think about again.
Old 08-26-2011, 07:39 PM
My993C2
Three Wheelin'

Originally Posted by trophy
Okay if you buy Doug's car then I will buy your car.

Or better yet, I'll just copy your car. Is your profile up-to-date? Are all your mods listed here?
Old 08-27-2011, 01:31 AM
DJN
Burning Brakes

Received 55 Likes on 33 Posts

Originally Posted by Leigh2
Doug! NOW you tell me you have a 60 bottle scotch collection...ahhhh!
LOL, I've got plenty of secrets.....but happy to share single malt with GT3 gents!

Originally Posted by ATL Fahrer
My car will be converted. Just waiting for empirical data
Working on it Lewis! .....so far things are going fairly smoothly.

Originally Posted by trophy
I haven't seen a deposit yet ! However, I will likely just have to just give you the keys after all the help you have given me on this 5-lug coversion!
Old 08-29-2011, 11:02 AM
DJN
Burning Brakes

Hi Gents,

GREAT NEWS!

With huge thanks to my buddies Steven Tory (Trophy) and Paul Botting the CL to 5 lug conversion process described in Post #1 of this thread has been confirmed. This weekend we successfully converted the right hand side of the car in my garage by first removing the wheel carriers, Steven then took them to his place to press out the CL hubs and then press in the 5 lug hubs along with new bearings (extra Single Malt for Steven!!! ), and then everything was bolted back in to position.

Indeed the work is labor intensive, roughly 3 to 4 hours per corner for the complete R&R, noting that we are mechanically inclined Porsche enthusiasts who work on our cars regularly. However, this particular procedure might be best left to your local Porsche dealer or favorite independent shop. One will need a complete alignement after this work as well. In addition, it was determined that the 5 lug set up saves approximately ¼ to ½ lb per corner (i.e. the centerlock bolting system is heavier), also note that for comparable 5 lug and CL wheels, the 5 lug equivalents are lighter too (for greater weight savings)……more on this in another post.

I have included a teaser photo below, but I hope to provide a few more photos of the procedure and of the finished product in the next week or so. The sexy new Forgeline GA3-R wheels need to have some rubber mounted, the left hand side needs to get the same treatment (we are half done), and the car will be aligned later this week.

I am not going to miss wielding my heavy duty CL tools, prying off the delicate center caps, and getting covered with that sticky gray grease! This effort was worth it!

Cheers!
Doug N
Attached Images  
The following 2 users liked this post by DJN:
frederickcook87 (07-14-2021), Henrik964 (01-16-2023)
Old 08-29-2011, 11:15 AM
911SLOW
Admin
Lifetime Rennlist

Received 122 Likes on 95 Posts

Bravo!

Old 08-29-2011, 11:38 AM
ATL Fahrer
Rennlist Member

Received 84 Likes on 43 Posts

Old 08-29-2011, 12:32 PM
Nugget
Rennlist Member

Received 17 Likes on 12 Posts

Tremendous!
Old 08-29-2011, 10:15 PM
jenk12m
Banned

Awesome!
Old 08-31-2011, 03:09 PM
DJN
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by 911SLOW
Bravo!

Originally Posted by ATL Fahrer
Originally Posted by Nugget
Tremendous!
Originally Posted by jenk12m
Awesome!

Thanks Gents, the car is back on the ground as of last night!

A string alignment is on for tonight and she should be good to go! Photos soon!

Cheers!

Doug N.
Old 08-31-2011, 04:45 PM
mdrums
Race Director

Received 179 Likes on 126 Posts

Dang nice garage you have there!
Old 08-31-2011, 06:53 PM
deputydog95
Rennlist Member

Received 29 Likes on 19 Posts

Me wants a lift in my garage. Nice!
Old 08-31-2011, 07:09 PM
DJN
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by mdrums
Dang nice garage you have there!
Originally Posted by deputydog95
Me wants a lift in my garage. Nice!
I love the MaxJax!!!!

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Centerlocks - I'm out! ....Hello 5-lug conversion!