Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: Porsche North Houston

Leland West SUCKS for Agreed Value Insurance

Old 08-18-2011, 11:00 PM
QueenCity911
Advanced

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Thumbs down Leland West SUCKS for Agreed Value Insurance

I posted a few weeks ago about upgrading my new insurance coverage for my new MY08 RS. After doing some reading AND getting a quote from my current provider Nationwide that DOUBLED my cost for Agreed Value, I gave Leland West a try.

First call was a futile attempt due to absolute lack of knowledge from the person on the other end of the phone.

Called a few other companies but decided to circle back to LW since they had a very competitive quote. Was able to climb up the ladder and get an "experienced" (their term) representative that actually saved a few more bucks than the first non-experienced rep.

Discussed the deal, came to terms, and locked in on an "AGREED VALUE" of $110,000 for the next 3 years for only a few hundred more than my current policy that gave me zero protection at replacing after theft or total loss.

Then it started to get dicey. Not only did they want the usual from me such as DL#, SS# and current driving record, they would want photos of the garage, my car, my current policy, etc,etc.... None of this seemed really out of line or a big deal. They then asked if I lived alone. I said not really, I have a live-in girlfriend. They said they will need her SS#, her DL# and a copy of her insurance to prove she has her own car and own insurance. Now I started getting a little irked. I asked since she has her own home and that address is on her DL, why do I really need her info? I also asked, "what if I break up tomorrow and get a new girlfriend the next day, you gonna want her info too? She replied, " thats a great question, I need to go ask my manager." Came back and said YES, we will take off Girlfriend #1 and add girlfriend #2. Basically ANYONE that has access to the house, car and garage has to be listed and vetted.....

Sent them my other policy to show I have other Daily Drivers since I was stating the car was NOT a daily car, would be driven under 6K miles per year and that I had the insurance to prove it. The other cars are insured on my business policy, so should be no big deal.... WRONG. Called me back and said that "doesnt count". Best case I will need to have the owner of the company write a letter stating I have full use of the vehicles for business and personal use on a daily basis. I said, " I am the owner of the company, does that count?" She said YES, but we still need the letter.. THEN she said, we still have to have a PERSONAL policy from you that you have something insured personally. I said you gotta be kidding me..... I have a CAN-AM Spyder on a separate policy, she said thats great, send a copy. THEN she said, whatever the limits are on THAT policy, that is the limit of what they can cover on the RS.

I pulled my CAN-AM policy and as you can imagine, limits are low, waay lower than you would want on an RS. I then send the "experienced rep" an email back stating that the personal policy I have would not be sufficient to cover my personal injury / bodily injury on the RS. Asked why we couldnt just use the very comprehensive business policy I have to make it happen. Said I wasnt trying to dictate their policies, but I wouldnt be able to use them if they couldnt do this.

Guess what? NO RESPONSE...............

3 days later and I guess they just decided that it wasnt worth the effort.

Guess what? Leland West SUCKS..... Time to look for another fair and reasonable company that can do AGREED VALUE.

Rant over, thanks!!!
Old 08-19-2011, 03:13 AM
brim
Rennlist Member

Marry someone in the military and get USAA, I've never had to deal with any BS, EVER. They are great and customer service and have handled all my claims since I've been driving with 100% professionalism.
Old 04-02-2014, 11:36 AM
Vrprotti
5th Gear

Default Leland West

I switched from Hagarty to Leland West about 3 years ago. The cost was a lot less and never had any problems. I make a claim, again no problems. Once I did get a person that did not know everything, but my policy decreased by 40% on my two porsches so I was very happy
Old 04-02-2014, 01:57 PM
Fisher
Pro

Received 69 Likes on 27 Posts

Last edited by Fisher; 04-02-2014 at 09:02 PM. Reason: Not my cup o tea.
Old 04-02-2014, 04:15 PM
LVDell
Nordschleife Master

Received 27 Likes on 23 Posts

But USAA doesn't do agreed/stated value. All of our cars are on our USAA policy except 1. I had to have a separate policy through Hagerty for that 1 collector car I own that USAA cannot do agreed value. At one point I contacted Leland and promptly ended the call rather quickly. Not impressed.

With that said, USAA rocks.

And what is it with these zombie threads lately???

Last edited by LVDell; 04-02-2014 at 06:37 PM.
Old 04-02-2014, 04:39 PM
ilko
Agent Orange
Rennlist Member

Received 504 Likes on 186 Posts

I have my 993 insured through Leland West with an agreed value policy. Yes, you have to jump through hoops (especially living in Manhattan where owning even one car is a luxury and not a necessity), they have very strict rules, but at the end it was worth it to me. I just had to buy enough cars so one of them would finally qualify

And they do offer discounts for PCA members.

Wait a minute, this thread is 3 years old!!
Old 04-02-2014, 04:53 PM
tgavem
Three Wheelin'

Received 196 Likes on 117 Posts

Try Amica, my friend use them for his Lambo Gallardo 560-4 spyder and he was recommended by other lambo drivers. My renewal is up in may and I intend to try them then.
Good luck and keep us posted
Old 04-02-2014, 10:03 PM
cgfen
Rennlist Member

Received 822 Likes on 539 Posts

Originally Posted by ilko
I have my 993 insured through Leland West with an agreed value policy. Yes, you have to jump through hoops (especially living in Manhattan where owning even one car is a luxury and not a necessity), they have very strict rules, but at the end it was worth it to me. I just had to buy enough cars so one of them would finally qualify

And they do offer discounts for PCA members.

Wait a minute, this thread is 3 years old!!
I am also currently using them for the 993.

2/3 the cost of my former AAA insurance and triple the money in my pocket if a total loss.
yes, 3 years old, but I found almost no threads about LW when I searched prior to buying..
I considered that a good thing.
Old 05-07-2014, 08:01 PM
Fooshe
Racer

Received 16 Likes on 7 Posts

Originally Posted by LVDell
But USAA doesn't do agreed/stated value. All of our cars are on our USAA policy except 1. I had to have a separate policy through Hagerty for that 1 collector car I own that USAA cannot do agreed value. At one point I contacted Leland and promptly ended the call rather quickly. Not impressed.
It all depends on the state you are in. USAA is a good carrier, but doesn't do agreed policies. AAA is a regular carrier trying to play the specialty game...doesn't work. Stick with carrriers that do exactly that for a living. Hagerty, American Collectors, Grundy, etc. But know there will be no DE coverage.

Oh, and whatever you do, STAY AWAY FROM BOB LEGGIEO (CA Dept. of Ins License#: 0819650) DBA: MOTORSPORTS INSURANCE SERVICES. He has ripped off some people recently and is noW a wanted man. He has taken huge premiums from some race teams and never paid the carriers. I know of one shop that is dealing with damage to their trailer and just found out what Bob has done.
Old 05-07-2014, 10:40 PM
C2 Turbo
Rennlist Member

Received 241 Likes on 172 Posts

Funny you mentioned Leland West as it's been 3 weeks on and off and I just can't seem to get a DAMN quote.

Every time we talk, the girl puts me on hold and has to talk to her underwriter etc etc.

From customer service point of view, yeah I agree LELAND WEST sucks big time
Old 05-07-2014, 11:24 PM
stpatsday
Racer

Received 127 Likes on 62 Posts

QueenCity,
I see that you reside in OH. Is Erie Insurance Company an option for you?
I have four cars: 2010 GT3, 993, CayenneS and 330ci. Agreed value on GT3 for 100k. 250/500 liability. Premium is $1400/year total.
Good luck
Old 05-07-2014, 11:49 PM
Fooshe
Racer

Received 16 Likes on 7 Posts

Well, if anyone in CA wants help, let me know.

I am an agent and have been doing classic and race cars for years.
Old 05-07-2014, 11:53 PM
996FLT6
Rennlist Member

Received 230 Likes on 186 Posts

What was your agreed value given to Leland west by you? Mike
Old 05-08-2014, 06:10 AM
JB911
Rennlist Member

Received 431 Likes on 307 Posts

I called LW to get a quote instead of doing it online-there are quite a few options (liability etc)
I decided to wait until I get a new daily driver. The nice thing is they accept a car up to 20 years old as a DD, so I'm starting to decide on one. Probably a sedan, maybe a diesel. Then I'll start thinking again about the agreed value, liability, mileage options. It seemed to me that LW was a very good choice. Would love to hear about other choices/comparisons, and any issues with claims/service-

Best,
JB
Old 09-26-2014, 03:14 PM
Westwood
Intermediate

Default Yep, they do suck!

I was reading Panorama and decided to check their insurance program out. It would have been cheaper alright, but we would have to have a different daily driver for both my wife & I.

Underwriters... are you kidding? We are both 60'ish and work at home. We don't need another car just so we can have their insurance for the Porsche. We are very comfortable having one daily driver.

Like everyone else said, thanks for the chance to Rant!

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Leland West SUCKS for Agreed Value Insurance