Sponsored by: Porsche North Houston

997.2 GT3 / Nose Lift vs Handling

Old 05-30-2011, 04:52 PM
demiruyar
Rennlist Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Exclamation 997.2 GT3 / Nose Lift vs Handling

Greetings from Istanbul everyone!

Thanks to you guys, I'm having a blast with my 3. So far I have done 3 trackdays and I'm in love with the Mezger power !

Unfortunately, I'm constantly scraping and hitting the front end and finally decided to buy a nose lift system..

The Techart system looks great, but I'm not sure about changing the springs...
Techart does not give any info regarding the spring rates which really bothers me.... I don't want to destroy the handling characteristics of the car.

It would be great if you guys could share you experiences with this system.

Thanks
Old 05-30-2011, 05:05 PM
tcsracing1
Rennlist Member

Received 256 Likes on 172 Posts

GMG offer the KW variant:

http://www.gmgracing.com/porsche_suspension.shtml
Old 05-30-2011, 05:15 PM
Tacet-Conundrum
Drifting

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Where is the video of Walter Rohrl tracking a GT3 on the ring with and without the nose lift system? Two different cars, same exact time, one with lift the other without.

That would be the same time with the Porsche lift solution. Cannot vouch for aftermarket systems. Though I imagine the outcome would be just as equal. Though far mote expensive than the lift from the factory.

Last time I checked the aftermarket system was nearly ten grand American.
Old 05-30-2011, 05:21 PM
demiruyar
Rennlist Member

Well the KW variant is not compatible with PASM, and provides less lift compared to the Techart

Cargaphic is a very nice system reducing the unsprung mass ! However sharing the airbag compressor is a very scary idea! Due to road conditions in Istanbul, I might have to use the system more than 10 times a day....
I'm not sure if the compressor could handle the punishment 7/24 And what if the compressor fails and you crash.... WOW
Tried to contact Techart HQ in Germany, to ask for the spring rates etc.... The tech guy was out of office bad luck!

Last edited by demiruyar; 05-30-2011 at 06:55 PM.
Old 05-30-2011, 06:54 PM
911SLOW
Admin
Lifetime Rennlist

Received 122 Likes on 95 Posts

Originally Posted by Tacet-Conundrum
Where is the video of Walter Rohrl tracking a GT3 on the ring with and without the nose lift system? Two different cars, same exact time, one with lift the other without.

That would be the same time with the Porsche lift solution. Cannot vouch for aftermarket systems. Though I imagine the outcome would be just as equal. Though far mote expensive than the lift from the factory.

Last time I checked the aftermarket system was nearly ten grand American.

http://www.cargraphic.de/sources/vid...rlift-ENG.html

Originally Posted by demiruyar
Well the KW variant is not compatible with PASM, and provides less lift compared to the Techart

Cargaphic is a very nice system reducing the unsprung mass ! However sharing the airbag compressor is a very scary idea! Due to road conditions in Istanbul, I might have to use the system more than 10 times a day....
I'm not sure if the compressor could handle the punishment 7/24 And what if the compressor fails and you crash.... WOW
Tried to contact Techart HQ in Germany, to ask for the spring.... The tech guy was out of office
I am using it more than 10 times daily.. : )
Old 05-30-2011, 07:04 PM
demiruyar
Rennlist Member

Meister, what is your opinion regarding the airbag issue...

That little compressor is literally working his *** off everytime What if the compressor fails... No Airbags?
All This coolant & centerlock issues got me trippin big time, so to be honest I'm kinda scared

Thanks alot!
Old 05-30-2011, 07:18 PM
911SLOW
Admin
Lifetime Rennlist

I have the impression that your local Porsche dealer (or whoever told you that there is a connection between the airbags and a tire compressor) is dangerously incompetent.
Now, that is scary indeed.
Old 05-30-2011, 07:33 PM
Bob Rouleau

Still plays with cars.
Lifetime Rennlist

Received 255 Likes on 119 Posts

Airbags are inflated by a pyrotechnic - i.e. explosion. No compressor. The Cayenne has an air compressor to inflate air bags in the suspension - which is a far different thing and NOT applicable to your GT3.

Best,
Old 05-30-2011, 09:41 PM
tcsracing1
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by demiruyar

Tried to contact Techart HQ in Germany, to ask for the spring rates etc.... The tech guy was out of office bad luck!

good point on the KW with PASM and lift height. You have done your homework!

all things being considered, i would never install it nor buy a GT3 that has the option.
I would crank my coilover suspension up higher then stock and continue to take bumps/dips side on.
Old 05-31-2011, 12:20 AM
sin911
Rennlist Member

Received 696 Likes on 425 Posts

You could just raise the car a bit and change the front lip as necessary. It's going to scrape no matter what in Istanbul
Old 05-31-2011, 11:07 AM
Tacet-Conundrum
Drifting

Originally Posted by tcsracing1

all things being considered, i would never install it nor buy a GT3 that has the option.
I would crank my coilover suspension up higher then stock and continue to take bumps/dips side on.
Is one of your RSes cranked way up for the Targa?
Old 05-31-2011, 11:11 AM
amaist
Burning Brakes

How expensive is it to just buy 10 front spoilers? On the mk II cars it's very easy to take off and install compared to previous generations.

Or you can just take it off for off track driving. Yeah, less pimp but you got the wrong car if you goal is bling.
Old 05-31-2011, 11:14 AM
911SLOW
Admin
Lifetime Rennlist

Originally Posted by tcsracing1

What are talking you about raising the suspension for bumps and dips? What you are you going to do, raise the coilovers 4cm?
This is not acceptable.
You know that people live in cities that are not flat, right?
Some of them even have driveways and garages with steep angles..

Just saying..
Old 05-31-2011, 11:26 AM
DKP 97 C2 Coupe
Addict
Rennlist Member

I'm not sure how helpful tcsracing1's advice is: "Just crank up the ride height to about that of a F-150 and you'll be fine..." I have the OEM system and I can say which my car would be almost undriveable here in Pittsburgh without it. I need it just to get into and out of my driveway and I use it while on the street usually multiple times per drive. System works great and reduces my stress level considerably. Even so, I've accumulated some unavoidable "battle scars" on the splitter....
Old 05-31-2011, 02:34 PM
tcsracing1
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by Tacet-Conundrum
Is one of your RSes cranked way up for the Targa?

jacked

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: 997.2 GT3 / Nose Lift vs Handling