No worries...you saved me $83,900.
Old 05-19-2011, 11:48 PM
sin911
Rennlist Member

Received 698 Likes on 425 Posts

Originally Posted by The Baron
Cayman R is:

1. lighter (2855 lbs.)
2. better weight distribution (mid-engine)
3. same 0-60 times
4. $20k cheaper
5. is actually available (no joke)
If I wasn't hunting for a GT3 this would be next on my list Great track toy!
Old 05-19-2011, 11:52 PM
masmole
Rennlist Member

Received 218 Likes on 84 Posts

Originally Posted by mdrums
I'm holding out for my 997.2 GT3-S which will have the DFI 9A1 engine with 425hp mated to PDK-S, no sun roof and RSR theme aero bits.....come on Porsche!
Actually, the first 9A1-based GT3 is soon coming and will be called the GT3 Carbon Edition

Buyers can spec a throw-back Mezger engine for an option price of $40k.
Old 05-20-2011, 02:26 AM
Carrera GT
Wordsmith
Rennlist Member

Received 10 Likes on 9 Posts

Originally Posted by quickxotica
omg, I can NOT believe it!

<snip>
ATLANTA, GA, May 20, 2011 - Porsche® has announced the creation of an exclusive, limited production model to be offered in the US-market only. The 2013 Carrera “RSA edition” is designed to commemorate the 20th Anniversary of the Porsche RS America model. To be unveiled at the North American International Auto Show in Detroit on January 12, 2012, the new "20 Years of the RSA" Carrera reflects the spirit of one of Porsche enthusiasts' most sought-after North American models.

The new Carrera RSA edition embodies many aspects of the original, with an elegant fixed rear-spoiler, narrow fenders, low weight, excellent agility, and a high level of driving pleasure. The new commemorative RSA edition further reflects this classic Porsche model with performance enhancements and additional styling cues not previously available on standard Carrera models.

For added performance, the RSA edition is equipped with the lightest equipment specification offered in the Carrera model line since 1989. By eliminating the sunroof, audio system, air-conditioning, soundproofing, headlight washers, rear seats and other trim items as well as installing aluminum doors and lightweight sport bucket seats as standard, the curb weight of the RSA edition has been reduced to 2,878 pounds. Sportier suspension settings and wide-offset 18-inch forged alloy wheels front and rear weighing only nineteen and twenty pounds each, respectively, improve handling while quicker acceleration is assured by a 15 percent lower ratios in the six-speed manual transmission’s first five gears. Michelin’s Pilot Super Sport tires are fitted as standard. The 3.6-liter flat-six cylinder power plant is based on the direct-fuel-injected (DFI) motor of the standard Carrera, but has a less-baffled and lighter exhaust specific to the US-market’s more relaxed noise regulations. A more aggressive engine management program tuned to take advantage of the exhaust’s increased flow-rate near maximum engine speeds is also included. Together these changes achieve a rating of 355 horsepower (SAE) at 7,400 rpm, propelling the new car from 0 to 62 mph (100 km/h) in 4.5 seconds, and on to a top track speed of 182 mph.

Other standard features include a limited slip differential, 30mm reduced ride height, fixed-rate dampers matched to progressive springs of 40% greater rate than those in the normal Carrera, bridgeless monoblock brake calipers and rotors from the Carrera S model and adjustable control arms, multi-position stabilizer bars and stiffer bushings from the GT3 model.

Similar to the original RS America, the new RSA edition is available in only three standard Porsche colors – Guards red, Carrara white or black. A unique front bumper with shortened overhang preserves the ramp angle of the standard Carrera despite the RSA’s 30mm reduced ride-height. For additional visual emphasis, the wheel spokes are painted in non-metallic Slate Grey with a contrasting polished lip. A colored Porsche crest adorns each wheel hub cover and the brake calipers have an aluminum-look paint finish. Other exclusive exterior styling features include matte-black oval tailpipes, discreet “RS” logos ahead of each rear wheel and non-metallic Slate Grey lower trims and side skirts adapted from the Carrera GTS model.

Fire-resistant black cloth featuring a diagonal Porsche script logo dominates the car's interior with matching black carpet and floor mats. The handbrake lever, gear lever, inside door handles, headliner and padded sport steering wheel are covered in black Alcantara© fabric. The rear section of the center console, dashboard trim strip and air vent surrounds are painted in non-metallic Slate Grey. Instruments are uniquely styled with black gauge faces enumerated in classic Porsche font to recall the era of the original RS America. The cloth-clad Sport Buckets seats for the first time feature a manual height adjustment allowing the seating position to be raised or lowered. The front center console that normally contains the PCM unit has been deleted entirely to emphasize Porsche’s hallmark rear-engine configuration, leaving only a small detachable cargo net separating the driver and passenger footwells.

GT Silver Metallic paint, Espresso natural leather interior, air conditioning, dynamic engine mounts, a lightweight Lithium-Ion battery, silver-colored seat belts and factory-installed rear seats complete the short list of optional equipment.

Production of the new RSA edition is limited to 1993 units to commemorate the original RS America’s introduction to the US market. A limited-edition plate on the glovebox cover indicates the car's production number. The new 2013 model will go on sale in the United States in March 2012 at a price of $83,900 US.

Porsche Cars North America, Inc. (PCNA), based in Atlanta, Ga., and its subsidiary, Porsche Cars Canada, Ltd., are the exclusive importers of Porsche vehicles for the United States and Canada and is a wholly owned, indirect subsidiary of Dr. Ing. h.c.F. Porsche AG.

<snip>

I must be in a cynical frame of mind with Porsche because I didn't believe this -- much as I would wish to believe it -- for a minute. Anyway, you missed the space after the "h.c." in reference to Porsche AG., so I knew it was it bogus ... : )
Old 05-20-2011, 11:43 AM
Yoops Racing
Pro

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

geez...what a circle jerky !

Bring on the 4.2
Old 05-20-2011, 01:30 PM
aussie jimmy
Rennlist Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

355 hp was giveaway.
Old 05-20-2011, 01:53 PM
Izzone
Nordschleife Master

Received 291 Likes on 146 Posts

Cayman R is:

1. lighter (2855 lbs.)
3. same 0-60 times
4. $20k cheaper
What a great daily driver

Zero opition, PDK, radio delete

I have throught about it, sell my X5 and buy a POS diesel truck to tow
Old 05-20-2011, 02:29 PM
GrantG
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 4,708 Likes on 2,685 Posts

Cayman R is:

1. lighter (2855 lbs.)
3. same 0-60 times
4. $20k cheaper
Actually, the Manual Cayman R does 0-100kph in 5.0, not 4.5 like the fake RSA. If the Cayman R had the Sport Buckets that could be lowered and all the other imaginary benefits of the fake RSA, then I'd be very interested...
Old 05-20-2011, 02:33 PM
quickxotica
Rennlist Member

Received 175 Likes on 79 Posts

Indeed the Cayman R is a very attractive package. But imho (and I say this as a former Cayman S owner) a rear-engined Carrera offers a bit more fun at trackdays due to the weight imbalance. And on the street the Carrera's rear seats really do have some utility & WAF for those of us who are parents.

Hence the attraction of this CR/Spyder-like treatment for the base Carrera (with the option to add-back the rear seats). A 9A1 3.6L with 355hp would be plenty of power for me if they could really get the weight down near 2,900lbs. It would be >200lbs lighter than a GT3 so with similar tires you could conceivably carry more mid-corner speed and not need such a beefy powerplant/brakes. So far all signs point to oil-starvation being essentially a non-issue in the new 9A1 motors.

The joke's give-aways were the inclusion of GT3's LCAs & adjustable sways and the very short list of options. Neither would ever be allowed to occur by Porsche coporate these days (silly as that may be).

I think there would be a strong enthusiast market for such a car. I just think Porsche would rather take GT3-level money from us instead.
Old 05-20-2011, 02:45 PM
GrantG
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 4,708 Likes on 2,685 Posts

I heard from a reliable source (over a year ago) that Porsche was deciding between building a Stripper 997 or the Cayman R and obviously chose to build the CR instead - didn't think there was a big enough market for both and didn't want to "cheapen" the 911 brand.

If they had built the stripper 3.6 (you had that part right), the spec would not have been as cool as yours...
Old 05-20-2011, 07:08 PM
Larry Cable
Rennlist Member

Received 3,423 Likes on 2,237 Posts

I drove a Cayman R and Boxster Spyder at the "world tour" event last Friday ... I was very impressed with the R indeed ... sounded great, handling was impecable, throttle steer was very usable ... like the Spyder also ...

I was sucked in also, recalling my beloved RSA of old (igmore the hateful M.A Shaw wing the previous owner installed - I eventually replaced this)
Attached Images  
Old 05-20-2011, 11:35 PM
tcsracing1
Rennlist Member

Received 256 Likes on 172 Posts

Shoulda known it was a hoax. Who the hell cares about reliving the RSA anyhow? Its not like it was a legend other then being a numbed down euro car that wouldnt let north amercians have their cake and eat it too. The A stands for "Almost" RS in WoR.

A duck tailed north american version of sport classic makes more sence for a limited build.

that being said i wouldnt say no to a nice priced 964 RSA

Last edited by tcsracing1; 05-21-2011 at 02:35 AM.

Quick Reply: 2013 Carrera “RSA edition” announced