997.2 GT3 Brakes

Search this Thread

Old 04-24-2011, 06:50 PM
Izzone
Nordschleife Master

Received 291 Likes on 146 Posts
Default 997.2 GT3 Brakes

I now have six days on the ex Mooty GT3 RS

When I got the car I put on Endless N35S pads. Mooty said the car had 100 or so track miles.

I did two days Sebring, two days Roebling and two days VIR

One of the Sebring and both VIR days were open track....each of these days were well more than 6 - 30 minute sessions

I was too lazy to flip my front pads.....DUH.....Trakcar told me too

This weekend I decided to flip the pads before Sebring next weekend. Here is what I found after removal

The rears are 13mm even across face, no taper

The front left side is 13mm top and 12 mm bottom (almost even wear) ……both inner and outer

The front right inner is 13mm top and 12 mm bottom (almost even wear)

The front right outer is 14.5mm top and 7.5mm bottom.........pad is done

A few of the sessions at VIR I drove with TC on, sonce I had no idea where I was. It engaged a bunch during those sessions

Rear rotors have no cracks, fronts are cracked

The pedal felt the same from new til now, never really noticed a difference in brake performance

I am puzzled why only the front right outer tapered so bad and none of the others did......pictures below for those who do not read

So now I am on a hunt for front rotor replacements:

OEM front, $1,000......I do not like having to watch hole cracks form

Brembo, $2,600 for fronts. I have asked someone who has these....30 days total and cracked (not sure what tracks but a very good driver)..........takes modified pads

Girodisk, have not confirmed front pricing, but seem to be half the price of Brembo. If I can get 30 days out of Girodisk for the same price as OEM that is good.....takes modified pad

I miss my Stop Tech STR......rotor friction replacements were cheap, I am trying to keep the front capilers, but there is a payback for Stoptech. Pedal feel on my 997.1 with Stop Tech was better than the steel Porsche....and did not have stupid pucks falling out everywhere.

Seems to be best bang for buck keeping stock rotor......Girodisk

Best long term solution....maybe Stop Tech STR again?

Ideas form rennlist?
Attached Images      
Old 04-24-2011, 06:55 PM
TRAKCAR
Rennlist Member

Received 1,586 Likes on 734 Posts

You have about 14 normal track days on the front rotors, they will be good for 6 or so more. Rears will last forever. I'm looking for cheap hats / rotors too, also in about 6 track days. I will keep you posetd with what I find.

Pads look OK, except for the one that is tapered or worn so much more then the others.
Fronts always crack, but that is OK. No problem.
The rears will taper as well if you run them longer.
Old 04-24-2011, 07:10 PM
mooty
GT3 player par excellence
Lifetime Rennlist

Received 5,482 Likes on 2,269 Posts

yes, rotor still good for a few days like reter suggest.
but WOW, i have never seen pads tapering like that!!!
get stop tech whole kit. you already know the system.
brembo is nice too.
Old 04-24-2011, 07:25 PM
Izzone
Nordschleife Master

Originally Posted by mooty
get stop tech whole kit. you already know the system.
brembo is nice too.
Dont tempt me.........on Stop Tech. I hate removing the rear rotor for pad check. Might just remove this set up

I still have a set of spare Stop Tech rotors from old kit, they are so cheap for friction circle replacement, there is a payback to just put them on.....pads are cheaper too

I assume the tapered pad wont make two days at Sebring.....that is my concern, I run this weekend

Peter.....I am working hard on pricing, life anaylsis, repalcement friction circle cost. I will email you my findings
Old 04-24-2011, 07:27 PM
TRD0524
Advanced

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Pads can taper for a lot of reasons. Depends on the caliper, track, temperature, and the car. I sent you some information. Seen severe pad taper with the factory Porsche calipers on several other brands of pads as well, partially a characteristic of the caliper itself to an extent.

EDIT: It's a gamble to run those pads at Sebring (definitely need to be flipped). At Sebring, inners can wear quicker than the outers. Right outer usually sees the least abuse from what I have seen.
Old 04-24-2011, 07:29 PM
deputydog95
Rennlist Member

Received 29 Likes on 19 Posts

How in the world did you manage 6 days on that car already? Seems like you just got it last week
Old 04-24-2011, 07:31 PM
Izzone
Nordschleife Master

Originally Posted by TRD0524
Pads can taper for a lot of reasons. Depends on the caliper, track, temperature, and the car. I sent you some information. Seen severe pad taper with the factory Porsche calipers on several other brands of pads as well, partially a characteristic of the caliper itself to an extent.
I am just puzzled why one pad tapered and no other.....havnt seen you email

If I flip it can it make a weekend.....if not do you have N35S fronts in stock

Sebring this weekend

For what it is worth.....N35S feels just like ME20, both great !

Next full set is MA45B
Old 04-24-2011, 07:32 PM
cfjan
Rennlist Member

Received 33 Likes on 9 Posts

Does StopTech makes a DRK for the 7.2GT3? (So you can retain the calipers but just change out the rotors to StopTech units)
Old 04-24-2011, 07:34 PM
Izzone
Nordschleife Master

Originally Posted by deputydog95
How in the world did you manage 6 days on that car already? Seems like you just got it last week
I could die in a plane crash tomorrow.......not leaving this car for someone else to use. The previous owner was cheating on her with a stripper, she now is treated and abused like she should be

It will be eight after this weekend

Start hanging around Peter and Erik, you will start tracking more and drinking more......they are Jedi masters of both arts

I also have a 400 mile mountain run.....that counts as a track day after following Jenk
Old 04-24-2011, 07:37 PM
TRD0524
Advanced

I will check on the stock tommorow. I have some pad wear data, will try to dig up some wear and taper information from some other 997 GT3s. Pretty much seen similar wear patterns on those cars as well. Street cars with full racing slicks that drive at race pace on some west coast tracks.
Old 04-24-2011, 07:39 PM
Izzone
Nordschleife Master

I will check on the stock tommorow. I have some pad wear data, dig up some wear and taper information from some other 997 GT3s. Pretty much seen similar wear patterns on those cars as well. Street cars with full racing slicks that drive at race pace on some west coast tracks.
I was on shaved RA1

My pace......just trying to make sure Peter did not lap me during a session
Old 04-24-2011, 07:40 PM
Izzone
Nordschleife Master

Originally Posted by cfjan
Does StopTech makes a DRK for the 7.2GT3? (So you can retain the calipers but just change out the rotors to StopTech units)
Nope.....already asked that

The Srop Tech STR calipers are worth the top pad load design
Old 04-24-2011, 07:43 PM
Izzone
Nordschleife Master

EDIT: It's a gamble to run those pads at Sebring (definitely need to be flipped). At Sebring, inners can wear quicker than the outers. Right outer usually sees the least abuse from what I have seen.
And it is the right outer that is tapered.......I am puzzled

Left were barely tapered

Assume rears are fine.....need fronts, N35S
Old 04-24-2011, 09:56 PM
Bman
Racer

Received 25 Likes on 14 Posts

Originally Posted by Izzone
Start hanging around Peter and Erik, you will start tracking more and drinking more......they are Jedi masters of both arts
Thanks for this thread. I just switched from PCCB to Steel and I'll be following this.

Sorry we didn't meet at David Murry. I was only there Wednesday and had some car issues in the morning. I did check out your car and saw the bright blue pads and didn't know what they were. I am going to try some Endless soon. Currently running RS19's.

I did meet Peter and Erik. You're keeping good company I am still laughing at Erik's rear calipers.....can't believe they were ever red.
Old 04-24-2011, 10:08 PM
jenk12m
Banned

my pads tapered like that on my old 3. cant believe your doing another event already. i would've been too exhausted after that mancation you just did. i know i only have so long before you beat my time at sebring....why cant you wait. haha

Quick Reply: 997.2 GT3 Brakes