Sponsored by: Porsche North Houston

Dürheimer: GT1 Block to Be Retired

Search this Thread

Old 12-29-2010, 08:12 AM
CRex
Rennlist Member

Received 377 Likes on 193 Posts
Unhappy Dürheimer: GT1 Block to Be Retired

Just read the January edition of GT Porsche which has a very revealing interview with PAG's R&D Head, Wolfgang Dürheimer on the direction of the brand. In no unclear terms he said the GT1 block will end with the GT2RS (see below).

I don't have the online version (http://gtpurelyporsche.com/thismonth.asp), but the text goes:

"... change is coming, even to the cars built by Porsche Motorsport, often seen as a brand within a brand. Ever since the first GT3 was built over a decade ago, these cars hve been using the old racing engine, the indirect injection motor that can trace its origins back to the 911 GT1 Le Mans winner of 1998. But now that Porsche has an all-new direct injection flat-six in every other 911, Boxster and Cayman, the time has come for the old engine to take its final bow. 'We don't need to replace it,' concedes Durheimer, 'but we are business people and it doesn't make sense to have two entirely different generations of flat-six being built in house.' He confirms the GT2 RS will be the last new Porsche to be fitted with the old engine. And while that will bring tears to the eyes of the purists, I think we should at least wait to see what its replacement is like before lamenting its passing too much."

It's on p.82 if anyone has the printed version.

I'm crestfallen... if I'm reading this right, there'll be one engine platform for 911s going forward and it doesn't take much to guess that's 9A1-based...

p.s. The article also talks about forthcoming hybrids and 4-cylinder 911s. Well worth a read, albeit depressing in the utmost.

Last edited by CRex; 12-29-2010 at 12:33 PM.
Old 12-29-2010, 08:42 AM
911rox
Rennlist Member

Received 24 Likes on 16 Posts

So reading between the lines, the illusive 500hp RS LE is nothing more then a myth then... Shame for the GT cars if they do go down this path... I suppose only time will tell now...
Old 12-29-2010, 08:49 AM
TTurbine
Pro

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

Guess i will be shopping for a low milage .2 GT3 to add a NA GT1 Block to my stable.....
Old 12-29-2010, 09:01 AM
Ritesh
Pro

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Truely sad. But I think most of us expected Porsche AG to make this financial decision.

All this does is confirm to me that I need to keep my GT3 or get a RS ASAP!
Old 12-29-2010, 09:06 AM
aussie jimmy
Rennlist Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

sad.......
Old 12-29-2010, 09:22 AM
Izzone
Nordschleife Master

Received 291 Likes on 146 Posts

I was waiting for this......one day will add an RS 997.2
Old 12-29-2010, 10:27 AM
CRex
Rennlist Member

True that... it does make our cars more special down the road, perhaps closer to the status of today's 993RS... IF we can stomach the mad depreciation in the intervening years that is...
Old 12-29-2010, 10:52 AM
911SLOW
Admin
Lifetime Rennlist

Received 122 Likes on 95 Posts

Originally Posted by CRex
Just read the January edition of GT Porsche which has a very revealing interview with PAG's R&D Head, Wolfgang Dürheimer on the direction of the brand. In no unclear terms he said the GT1 block will end with the GT2RS (see below).

The magazine's website (http://gtpurelyporsche.com/thismonth.asp) requires subscription and I only have the iPad version. But the text reads:

"... change is coming, even to the cars built by Porsche Motorsport, often seen as a brand within a brand. Ever since the first GT3 was built over a decade ago, these cars hve been using the old racing engine, the indirect injection motor that can trace its origins back to the 911 GT1 Le Mans winner of 1998. But now that Porsche has an all-new direct injection flat-six in every other 911, Boxster and Cayman, the time has come for the old engine to take its final bow. 'We don't need to replace it,' concedes Durheimer, 'but we are business people and it doesn't make sense to have two entirely different generations of flat-six being built in house.' He confirms the GT2 RS will be the last new Porsche to be fitted with the old engine. And while that will bring tears to the eyes of the purists, I think we should at least wait to see what its replacement is like before lamenting its passing too much."
It's on P82 if anyone has the printed version.

I'm crestfallen... if I'm reading this right, there'll be one engine platform for 911s going forward and it doesn't take much to guess that's 9A1-based...

p.s. The article also talks about forthcoming hybrids and 4-cylinder 911s. Well worth a read, albeit depressing in the utmost.

Please do race it before selling it. Thank you.
Attached Images  
Old 12-29-2010, 12:25 PM
CRex
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by 911SLOW
Please do race it before selling it. Thank you.
John you can rest assured that I track my p-cars as they're meant for, but racing? Tempting but ain't got the skillz yet...

Now I wonder what's the point of your chart above? The math geek in me sees what it is, but it wouldn't matter if the subject matter was pop-corn or GT3s w/ RMS failures, would it... half-life is half-life, or am I gettin dumb at this late hour...
Old 12-29-2010, 12:26 PM
mdeleeuw
Intermediate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Sounds like a cost issue. But given the importance of GT racing to Porsche, I doubt they would abandon such a proven platform unless they have good confidence that it will work.

Mike
Old 12-29-2010, 12:37 PM
85Gold
Rennlist Member

Received 709 Likes on 414 Posts

Originally Posted by mdeleeuw
Sounds like a cost issue. But given the importance of GT racing to Porsche, I doubt they would abandon such a proven platform unless they have good confidence that it will work.

Mike
And that says it all. That doesn't mean the 6GT3 is for sale or as they say you will have to pry my 6GT3 from my cold dead hands.

Peter
Old 12-29-2010, 12:38 PM
FTS
Burning Brakes

Received 4 Likes on 1 Post

John you can rest assured that I track my p-cars as they're meant for, but racing? Tempting but ain't got the skillz yet...
I would assume he was referring to Porsche to race the new engine before marketing it to us
Old 12-29-2010, 12:46 PM
911SLOW
Admin
Lifetime Rennlist

Received 122 Likes on 95 Posts

Originally Posted by FlyingToaster
I would assume he was referring to Porsche to race the new engine before marketing it to us
Indeed I was

And because I was indecisive on whether it's worth to bring pop corn, I pulled out the chart. It worked, even pop corn has many unknowns about its future.. so..
Old 12-29-2010, 12:50 PM
Clifton
Pro

Received 51 Likes on 29 Posts

Drawing on historical examples like the air cooled motors of yore (993), I'm curious to see what if any affect this type of anouncement will have on the values of the GT1 based cars.
Old 12-29-2010, 01:01 PM
Carrera GT
Wordsmith
Rennlist Member

Received 10 Likes on 9 Posts

I don't have the online version (http://gtpurelyporsche.com/thismonth.asp), but the text goes:

It's on p.82 if anyone has the printed version.

I'm all for seeing flat fours again. Preferably around 10K rpm redline, 250 hp in 2200lb two-seater, rear-engine cars with the wheels at the corners by virtue of some genius invention to take away overhang.

As for discontinuing their last remaining claim to their origins, utter madness. When bureaucrats take the helm and declare "change is coming" their agenda is self-centered. If the intent was to make the product more competitive, more satisfying and more valuable to 911 buyers, we'd continue to see innovation and progress -- there's no call for "change."

This idea of changing the 911 is flawed in the same way that Porsche thinks they should build a hot rod mid-engine product to "compete" with the 12C and 458 -- this is as if to have learned nothing of the history of success at Porsche; success from continuing to advance the rear-engine vehicle to best all comers.

Quick Reply: Dürheimer: GT1 Block to Be Retired