Sponsored by: Porsche North Houston

Front Hood Rattle - How To Fix?

Search this Thread

Old 12-13-2010, 01:36 AM
24Chromium
Drifting

Received 24 Likes on 13 Posts
Default Front Hood Rattle - How To Fix?

I had someone work on my car today - which was way out of the norm for me. On the drive home, I noticed this metallic rattle that I'd never heard before. So, I stopped and looked over everything, only to find it was all good as far as I could tell. Got back on the fwy and heard it again. Played with my speed and determined it was most certainly from the front and sounded like something loose and getting buffeted by the wind.

Another stop and I checked to see if the hood was closed tight. I was, but when I pressed it a little, I heard the same metallic sound. Great, my hood it out of whack. After I got it home into the garage, I checked to see if there was any way to adjust the rubber bumpers. No such luck - at least no way to adjust them that I could figure. I did notice that my hood was ever so slightly lower (recessed) at the center as compared to the ends. I'm guessing the guy pressed too hard on the P crest when he closed it.

Any way you know of to adjust the hood? Thanks in advance.
Old 12-13-2010, 08:14 AM
911dev
Drifting

Received 8 Likes on 7 Posts

From what I recall the hood should be fractionally lower than the fascia. This prevents any debris from striking the hood's leading edge and chipping the paint. My (.2 3) will move slightly when pressed. My tech, said is was adjusted correctly; not so sure. I do not hear any rattling at speed, however.

My previous turbo had a hood out of alignment and the dealer did adjust it correctly and rather easily. I'm sure the applies to yours.

BTW, I'm sure you know this but you should close the hood by pressing on the very leading (double sheet metal) edge with light presure. Never on the crest as it flattens the crest very easily. Even techs press the crest and it drives me nuts. I can tell a flattened crest from 10 feet away. Porsche delivers the car with a convex crest and it should remain that way.

The manual does point out that fingers -spaced apart- should press at or about 3-4 inches to each side of the crest. This works but my method shown to me by a Porsche concours judge works better imo.

The front corner hood bumpers turn in or out. They adjust the height of the front of the hood.
Old 12-14-2010, 03:43 AM
24Chromium
Drifting

Received 24 Likes on 13 Posts

Originally Posted by 911dev
The front corner hood bumpers turn in or out. They adjust the height of the front of the hood.
Yeah, this was exactly what I tried to do, but when I tried turning them by hand, it seemed the rubber just twisted. So, I assumed they didn't adjust (thread in/out). I'll check again, thanks.

Quick Reply: Front Hood Rattle - How To Fix?