Old 10-16-2010, 01:26 PM
sharkster
Addict
Rennlist Member

Rennlist
Site Sponsor

Received 84 Likes on 38 Posts

Originally Posted by 997gt3north
I'm in Toronto - what dealer is his tech from?

I can tell you that with 100% certainty the Durametric software, which I have, can read / communicate with the ECU as long as the key is in and the power is on (the engine with 100% certainty does not have to be cranked). You can confirm this with Durametric by calling them. This software also reads over revs.

If the software tool used was able to get the information you posted, it is clearly speaking with the ECU, ie the ECU has power and is speaking back.
The over rev ranges are just one of the many pieces of information that it is able to provide.

+1 exactly. Don't worry about going to the dealer etc... just do the above.
Old 10-16-2010, 01:27 PM
911SLOW
Admin
Lifetime Rennlist

Received 122 Likes on 95 Posts

Originally Posted by TRAKCAR
On my '07 GT3 I had Type 1 and Type 2 overrevs, but never revved the car over 8550 accoring to Traqmate, mostly bouncing of rev limiter and once letting the clutch out catching the car while still accellerating, thats when I hit 8550.

All tracked GT3's pretty much have Type 1 and type 2 as far as I have ever heard or seen.

I will check for overrevs next week if I remember.
Originally Posted by fc-racer
The 997 DME Range 1 is not the same as in the 996 series. I got the information from the training material that my tech had at the dealership for the 997 GT3 MK1. This was also confirmed by our very own Sharkster in a previous post: https://rennlist.com/forums/6100678-post14.html

I don't want to interpret Alex but I think he was commenting on this old thread on your post where you correctly stated that the 997 has 6 rev ranges and not 2, and not on the actual rpm numbers you posted.

But I am sure he can clarify this now as from memory I do remember the 997.1GT3 rev range numbers to be completely different than the ones on your post. In any case next week I 'll read the manual again and let you know.

Also Peter's post above seems to agree with me.

John
Old 10-16-2010, 02:38 PM
fc-racer
Drifting

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

John, I sent Alex a PM to confirm if we've got it right. He'll set us on the right path Cheers
Old 10-18-2010, 02:20 PM
sharkster
Addict
Rennlist Member

Rennlist
Site Sponsor

Received 84 Likes on 38 Posts

Unless I've bumped my head (entirely possible btw...) and I'm not at the shop but I think it's:
Range 1: 9000-9200 RPM
Range 2: 9200-9400 RPM
Range 3: 9400-9600 RPM
Range 4: 9600-10000 RPM
Range 5: 10000-11000 RPM
Range 6: 11000 and up RPM

I checked with a well-known shop foreman at porsche too just in case and he nodded
Old 10-18-2010, 03:32 PM
911dev
Drifting

Received 8 Likes on 7 Posts

Pardon my ignorance. If range 1 starts @ 9000, what is redline to 9000? Does it record 8600 for example and is that a concern?
Old 10-18-2010, 07:01 PM
Doublej
Racer

Received 154 Likes on 73 Posts

FWIW my report actually showed 0's. I have the pdf, can post a screenshot later when I get home.

JJ
Old 02-18-2011, 03:23 PM
911SLOW
Admin
Lifetime Rennlist

Received 122 Likes on 95 Posts
Default the definitive guide to read GT3 overrevs

Guys sorry for the delayed response, I forgot to look at it, two minutes ago I checked the PIWIS for another thread on over revs so I will copy and past the 7GT3 values for future reference.

"

Damaged unit parts due to high engine speed.

The information below is intended to help you to evaluate engine damage, which may occur as a result of one or more overspeed events. You can also use the values entered in the VAL to improve the assessment process for granting pre-owned car warranties, for example, and to examine entitlements for carrying out repairs under warranty.
Engines are designed to operate at a maximum permitted speed. This engine speed is not exceeded when the vehicle is driven normally. However, driving and operating problems (e.g. “changing to the wrong gear” on vehicles with manual transmission) or manipulation (e.g. tuning) can cause the maximum permitted engine speed to be exceeded when the vehicle is driven.
Overspeed events are stored in the DME control unit. The following values are also recorded:
- Number of ignition attempts in each overspeed range 1), and,
- Status of the hourmeter during the last overspeed event 2).
1) Overspeed range = Defined rev ranges with classification of expected engine damage, e.g. engine damage possible, ... probable, ... very probable, engine damage has generally occurred; see section ⇒ 'Rev ranges'.
2) For technical reasons, overspeed events are entered in a preset time interval. As a result, there may be entries in a higher rev range (e.g. range 2), while no entries are stored in the lower range.

Typical faults and symptoms as a result of overspeed events may include the following:

* Damaged valves and/or pistons (impact marks on the valve, valve impressions on the piston, valve bent).
* Cylinder liner damage (even “piston seizure”).
* Damaged or displaced connecting rod bearings.
* Loosened or loose fastening screw(s) on the crankshaft pulley.
* Loosened or loose fastening screw(s) on the camshaft gear.
* Loosened or loose connecting rod bolts.
* Cracked timing chain(s).
* Changed timing.
* Irreparably damaged clutch elements (pressure plate and/or drive plate).
* Vibrations and/or engine imbalance due to irreparably damaged clutch elements.
* Vibrations around the transmission.
* Defective synchronisation.

Information
If such faults or symptoms are present together with engine damage, the VAL that was created must be checked for overspeed entries.
If overspeed entries are found and if the difference between the current hourmeter and the status when the last overspeed event was recorded is less than 50 operating hours, there is a high probability that the damage was caused by overspeed event(s).
The value “50 operating hours” should be seen as a guide. The possibility of engine damage occurring much later due to previous overspeed event(s) cannot be ruled out.

Rev ranges - 997 GT3:
Create the VAL before deleting the fault memory. Overspeed events are documented as follows in the VAL:
Rev range 1: 8,400 -1 ... to 9,200 -1
⇒ Maximum permitted engine speed exceeded; engine damage possible.
Rev range 2: 9,200 -1 ... to 9,400 -1
Rev range 3: 9,400 -1 ... to 9,600 -1
Rev range 4: 9,600 -1 ... to 10,000 -1
⇒ Maximum permitted engine speed clearly exceeded; engine damage probable.
Rev range 5: 10,000 -1 ... to 11,000 -1
⇒ Maximum permitted engine speed very clearly exceeded; engine damage very probable.
Rev range 6: over 11,000 -1

⇒ Engine damage has generally occurred.
Information
Before starting engine repairs and submitting a warranty claim or granting a pre-owned car warranty:
In the event of overspeed events in range 4 – 6, we recommend that you contact the Technical Hotline before starting repairs or granting a pre-owned car warranty in order to find out how to proceed and agree on warranty entitlements.
"

Old 02-18-2011, 08:25 PM
TRAKCAR
Rennlist Member

Received 1,586 Likes on 734 Posts

Guys sorry for the delayed response I forgot to look at it
Being moderator takes hard work ;-)

Thank you for posting

Range 1 can be had just bouncing of the rev limiter? RS revs to 8500.
Hardly going to damage the engine..

Quick Reply: Over rev DME logging.