Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: Porsche North Houston

MKII RS Steel rotor and Pagid R29 wear.

Search this Thread

Old 09-22-2010, 11:24 AM
TRAKCAR
Rennlist Member

Received 1,586 Likes on 734 Posts
Default MKII RS Steel rotor and Pagid R29 wear.

FYI:

I just completed my first 9 track days with Pagid 29's
Flipped the fronts after 4 days, left the rears in.

New pads are 19mm and the backing plate is 5 mm = 14mm material.

Now, used: Material + backing plate measurements are:
Front: 10+mm and 12+mm, so 35% to 50% left. Inside outside equal.
Rear: 8+mm and 11+mm, so 21% to 42% left. Inside all 20-30% outside 30-40%.

I posted earlier that I thought I was close to metal to metal in the rear, but not so!

8/9 days is the limit for the rear pads and they could use flipping as well, but not due to tapering, but because the insides wear more than the outsides.
Given that unlike on the MKI the rotor price is so much higher then the pads I won't push further with the front pads either.

Compared to my MKI GT3 with brake ducts rear, it seems that there is a slight increase in rear brake pad wear. Increase in tire rear makes the brakes work harder? Fronts identical wear to MKIGT3 wear.

The rear rotors seem fine, just hairline cracks, the fronts look pretty beaten up, I hope they will last another 8 track days in cooler weather, but doubt it. See pics, top 3 are front rotors, bottom 2 are rear rotors.

I will run 6-8 days between now and Nov 7th and likely one additional day in Dec. Roebling, Barber(maybe), VIR, Sebring, 1 day Homestead.
Hoping to get there with these rotors, but I have a spare set with me as backup.

Maybe by then someone will have aftermarket cheap slotted rotors
Attached Images      
Old 09-22-2010, 12:40 PM
Nizer
Rennlist Member

Received 1,721 Likes on 913 Posts

Not sure how you define cheap but these folks claim to have Performance Friction Rotors for '10 RS available now.

http://www.performancespeedtech.com/
Old 09-22-2010, 12:51 PM
TRAKCAR
Rennlist Member

Thanks; I dropped them an e-mail.
Anyone using Performance Friction?

Cheap on MKI meant $300ea front and $150ea rear (OEM).
Cheap on MKII, hopefully cheaper then OEM....
Old 09-22-2010, 02:33 PM
AndreGT3
Intermediate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Trakcar the PFC 06 endurance pads are awesome we use them on our race car. Don t know much about replacement discs for the GT3.
Old 09-24-2010, 07:55 AM
TRAKCAR
Rennlist Member

Thanks, I am happy with the pad wear.
If it ain't broke.., so I am hesitant to try something else unless cheaper.

Still looking for rotors ...
Old 09-24-2010, 08:05 AM
utkinpol
Rennlist Member

Received 22 Likes on 13 Posts

Originally Posted by TRAKCAR
Thanks, I am happy with the pad wear.
If it ain't broke.., so I am hesitant to try something else unless cheaper.

Still looking for rotors ...
did you put rear brake ducts, people usually use turbo ones?
http://www.renntrack.com/forums/show...ucts-installed

as of rotors, as i understand most cost effective option is still to put OEM ones and replace them as many times as needed. i know a person who goes over 3 sets of rotors per season.
Or put in slotted gyrodiscs.
Old 09-24-2010, 08:42 AM
TRAKCAR
Rennlist Member

Yes, the car comes with stock air ducts in the rear. Looks like I will need 3 sets per year.
Gyrodisc does not have MKII application yet.
Old 09-24-2010, 03:51 PM
10 GT3
Drifting

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by TRAKCAR
FYI:

I just completed my first 9 track days with Pagid 29's
Flipped the fronts after 4 days, left the rears in.

New pads are 19mm and the backing plate is 5 mm = 14mm material.

Now, used: Material + backing plate measurements are:
Front: 10+mm and 12+mm, so 35% to 50% left. Inside outside equal.
Rear: 8+mm and 11+mm, so 21% to 42% left. Inside all 20-30% outside 30-40%.

I posted earlier that I thought I was close to metal to metal in the rear, but not so!

8/9 days is the limit for the rear pads and they could use flipping as well, but not due to tapering, but because the insides wear more than the outsides.
Given that unlike on the MKI the rotor price is so much higher then the pads I won't push further with the front pads either.

Compared to my MKI GT3 with brake ducts rear, it seems that there is a slight increase in rear brake pad wear. Increase in tire rear makes the brakes work harder? Fronts identical wear to MKIGT3 wear.

The rear rotors seem fine, just hairline cracks, the fronts look pretty beaten up, I hope they will last another 8 track days in cooler weather, but doubt it. See pics, top 3 are front rotors, bottom 2 are rear rotors.

I will run 6-8 days between now and Nov 7th and likely one additional day in Dec. Roebling, Barber(maybe), VIR, Sebring, 1 day Homestead.
Hoping to get there with these rotors, but I have a spare set with me as backup.

Maybe by then someone will have aftermarket cheap slotted rotors
First thing I am curious about is if you tried to run the stock OEM Pagid pads? I have 9 track days on them and really like them (at the track, not on the street). They are far more aggressive that the 997.1 Textar sport pads. I noticed a lot of people swapping out pads without even giving them a chance and I discovered on my first track day they are far better than ever expected. I never get outbraked and have never feel even a single hint of fade with them. I am also not getting any of the wear issues you have, just very slight cracking around the holes on the front rotors. I used to run PF01s on my old car because I like a fast grab and release. They not only feel like a PF01 at the track, they do on the street too. They don't stop worth anything at under 30 mph and sound like an entire elementary class scratching their fingers on a chalkboard at low speed. I am going to stick with the OEM pads going forward because they are that good and continue to tolerate them on the street.
Old 09-24-2010, 06:50 PM
rmag
Rennlist Member

Received 50 Likes on 18 Posts

Stoptech has them available. Pays back over OEM on 3rd go round. Only pain is if rotors go at track, you have to swap the rings which take longer.
Front Rotors (2) - $ 1425
Rear Rotors (2) - $ 1025
Front Replacement Rings - $ 580 per pair
Rear Replacement Rings - $510 per pair
Old 09-24-2010, 10:53 PM
TeamDrugMoney
Burning Brakes

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by rmag
Stoptech has them available. Pays back over OEM on 3rd go round. Only pain is if rotors go at track, you have to swap the rings which take longer.
Rear Rotors (2) - $ 1025
Hey, do you have any experience with these over Brembo? Just curious. I am trying to figure out what to do with my rotors as the OEM sure does crack pretty quickly . Are the Stoptech drilled or slotted?

Thanks in advance...
Old 09-25-2010, 03:58 AM
ir_fuel
Drifting

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

You can get cup rotors. Also drilled but they are cheaper.
Old 09-26-2010, 09:25 AM
rmag
Rennlist Member

Received 50 Likes on 18 Posts

Originally Posted by TeamDrugMoney
Hey, do you have any experience with these over Brembo? Just curious. I am trying to figure out what to do with my rotors as the OEM sure does crack pretty quickly . Are the Stoptech drilled or slotted?

Thanks in advance...
I have not bought the stoptech yet ... going thru this season with stock, then see if anything else (cheaper) pops up over the winter. They come slotted or drilled.
Old 09-26-2010, 06:01 PM
KBS911
Rennlist Member

Received 131 Likes on 79 Posts

Originally Posted by 10 GT3
First thing I am curious about is if you tried to run the stock OEM Pagid pads? I have 9 track days on them and really like them (at the track, not on the street). They are far more aggressive that the 997.1 Textar sport pads. I noticed a lot of people swapping out pads without even giving them a chance and I discovered on my first track day they are far better than ever expected. I never get outbraked and have never feel even a single hint of fade with them. I am also not getting any of the wear issues you have, just very slight cracking around the holes on the front rotors. I used to run PF01s on my old car because I like a fast grab and release. They not only feel like a PF01 at the track, they do on the street too. They don't stop worth anything at under 30 mph and sound like an entire elementary class scratching their fingers on a chalkboard at low speed. I am going to stick with the OEM pads going forward because they are that good and continue to tolerate them on the street.
My 10 GT3 came with rear Textar pads and red Pagid fronts. The Textars are street pads by definition and I pretty much ruined them on a track outing. I switched to the OEM Pagid Reds and after 2 DE's and an AutoX they are like new. Major difference. I found that some of the 10 GT3's were delivered with the Textar rears. If you track you will replace them very quickly.
Old 09-27-2010, 01:53 AM
TRAKCAR
Rennlist Member

Just finished day 10 and 11 at Roebling. Roebling is easy on brakes, so no more wear on the rotors today than 2 days ago. So far so good..

First thing I am curious about is if you tried to run the stock OEM Pagid pads? I have 9 track days on them and really like them (at the track, not on the street). They are far more aggressive that the 997.1 Textar sport pads. I noticed a lot of people swapping out pads without even giving them a chance and I discovered on my first track day they are far better than ever expected.
I tried them, but they are a bit to "grabby" for me and I think the R29's will last longer and be easier on the rotors. Not facts, just my own gestimation.

Rear Rotors (2) - $ 1025
Ouch...They have to last at least 2x OEM...

I have not bought the stoptech yet ... going thru this season with stock, then see if anything else (cheaper) pops up over the winter. They come slotted or drilled.
Same here.
Old 09-30-2010, 05:25 PM
TrackDays247.com
Former Vendor

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

RS29 F&R and time for new rotors, FWTW.

Quick Reply: MKII RS Steel rotor and Pagid R29 wear.