Mobilube PTX - Transaxle / Gear Box Oil

Search this Thread

Old 02-13-2009, 04:43 PM
enthusiast
Rennlist Member

Received 36 Likes on 28 Posts
Default Mobilube PTX - Transaxle / Gear Box Oil

Hi;

I read a lot of notes from various web sites and Porsche AG documents about the proper transaxle / gear box lubricant for the GT3 models. I decided not to experiment and I bought one container of the Porsche AG specified Mobilube PTX 75 W 90.

- concensus is that PTX is made for Porsche AG only and only available from Porsche
- only packaged in a 20 liter container at a current retail list price of $620.62
- Porsche part number 000 043 204 20
- specified for 1999-2005 996 GT3, 2001-2005 996 Turbo & GT2, 2006-up 997 GT3 & RS, and 2006-up 997 Turbo
- most of the listed Porsche models require between 3 - 4 liters
- many owners are concerned about gear box & limited slip materials and lubricant compatibility

I recommend that if you have the Porsche dealership replace the oil be very specific as to exactly what lubricant you want. They have several 75 W 90.

If you are a 'do it yourself' type you might be able to buy just the quantity you need from a dealership.

Now, I have more Mobilube PTX than I need so I would be happy to sell some to fellow Rennlisters for what I paid plus package/shipping. Send me a private message if interested.
Attached Images   

Last edited by enthusiast; 02-27-2009 at 09:44 PM.
Old 02-14-2009, 08:58 AM
todinlaw
Rennlist Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

This is what I used I wonder what the difference is??
Attached Images  
Old 02-14-2009, 04:00 PM
enthusiast
Rennlist Member

Exactly, we cannot get to the bottom of this issue. I could not find an official Porsche AG document stating equivalents for Mobilube PTX.

I'm not willing to gamble on any other lubricant with a stock transaxle and limited slip clutch disc packs that wear as quickly as they do.
Old 02-14-2009, 05:36 PM
todinlaw
Rennlist Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by enthusiast
Exactly, we cannot get to the bottom of this issue. I could not find an official Porsche AG document stating equivalents for Mobilube PTX.

I'm not willing to gamble on any other lubricant with a stock transaxle and limited slip clutch disc packs that wear as quickly as they do.
These guys claim this is the original fill for 996/7 from the link below:

"The replacement for the Mobilube 75W-90 SHC gear lube. Delvac has been market name used in USA towards the semi/fleet maintenance market segment. Hard to find in gallon containers, but we stock it.

Original fill in 996/997 GT3/Cup cars, and GT3Rs. Works well in all 901, 915, G50, G96 gearboxes. Used extensively in Porsche Motorsport products in every grueling test there can be LeMans, Sebring, Daytona, etc. We also use it in our service department in all street and race cars. Works in cars with or without (LSD) limited slip differentials.

Great lube, surpasses all others in research and development.

Mobil Delvac 75W-90 is a fully synthetic drivetrain lubricant engineered to meet the most demanding extended drain and OEM warranty requirements. These products are designed for use in heavy duty drivetrains that require gear lubricants with excellent load-carrying capability and where extreme pressures and shock loading are expected. The state-of-the-art technology in Mobil Delvac 75W-90 delivers unequalled performance for low and high temperature applications, including outstanding oxidation stability, wear protection, corrosion resistance, improved shear stability, extended service capability, and excellent fuel economy."

http://www.lufteknic.com/Merchant2/m...ode=lubricants
Old 02-14-2009, 07:48 PM
enthusiast
Rennlist Member

They are incorrect.

Mobilube PTX is specified by Porsche AG for the street car models I listed, not Mobilube 1 SHC 75 W 90.

The 996 and 997 race cars have some different materials in the limited slip than the street models.
Old 02-15-2009, 01:03 PM
mooty
GT3 player par excellence
Lifetime Rennlist

Received 5,495 Likes on 2,275 Posts

all over the map.
delvec seems to be what motorsport are using, from many sources i read, how realiable the sources were, i cannot tell you.

TRG uses garden variety mobil 1 75/90 in their cup cars. at least in customers' cup cars.

my porsche dealer looked at the delvec i supplied them, "this is what we have in the shop"....

well, i have used PTX, Delvec SHC, and normal mobile 1 75/90. i can't tell the difference from shifting, but i dont know what sort of wear tear each oil prevent or cause....
Old 04-09-2009, 09:38 PM
enthusiast
Rennlist Member

Refresh.

One Rennlist member bought some Mobilube PTX oil from me and he is happy with the results. The previous oil change was done using a different lubricant. Now, with the Mobilube PTX he noticed an immediate improvement in cold temperature shifting.

Send me a private message if you are interested in obtaining the PTX.

Quick Reply: Mobilube PTX - Transaxle / Gear Box Oil