Sponsored by: Porsche North Houston

3rd Attempt on RMS Leak?

Search this Thread

Old 05-07-2009, 06:31 PM
Bob Rouleau

Still plays with cars.
Lifetime Rennlist

Received 255 Likes on 119 Posts

Here is an update. I posted about the minor leak and my intention to track the car like mad. I now have 40,000 KM (25,000 miles) on my 07 RS and it does not leak anymore. As Porsche suggests if you drive the car, it won't leak. As to driving it "gingerly", hell no. I track it and enjoy its performance. No leaks. So rather than "not drive it" , do the reverse and see. Drive it daily and exercise it properly

Best,
Old 05-07-2009, 07:01 PM
quickxotica
Rennlist Member

Received 177 Likes on 80 Posts

Originally Posted by todinlaw
This is what Peter Smith Just posted on PCA's tech section on rms
Answer:
So if you drive the car every day gingerly, you should not have any leaks.
Every day GINGERLY?!?!? That's what a Hyundai is for, not a GT3!!!!
Old 05-07-2009, 09:56 PM
///Mous3
Burning Brakes

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

It even has the Fuchs wheels....!

Old 05-07-2009, 10:36 PM
porsche52
Board Certified Porsche Trauma Surgeon
Cayenne Grief Counselor
Rennlist Member

Received 13 Likes on 7 Posts

^^^ LOL. I bet it has pretty good numbers in the wind tunnel!!
Old 05-08-2009, 01:48 PM
Ritesh
Pro

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

I think we should have a sticky on the top of the page about the RMS leaks and the threads related to it.

My experience: 07 GT3 with 9500 miles on it since 12/06. The car developed a RMS leak last summer. I took it to Boardwalk Porsche. Their head service advisor(John Gladwill) told me the leak is minimal and the repair is not going to change a thing. He recommended I wait till Porsche comes up with a "real" solution before we replace it. He felt that it was because I wasn't driving it enough. I asked him if that is the case then why aren't the canadian GT3 owners have more leaks during the winter(when their cars are in storage)? I drive it more often now and the leak has gone. Go figure.

I still think it is pathetic that a $125k GT3 leaks oil while my 11 year old NSX doesn't leak a drop.

In conclusion: Drive The Car!!
Old 05-08-2009, 01:59 PM
tcsracing1
Rennlist Member

Received 256 Likes on 172 Posts

Harley Davidsons leak too and their owners love em'
Old 05-08-2009, 02:39 PM
NoSubEDU
Burning Brakes

Received 19 Likes on 7 Posts

Originally Posted by Ritesh
I still think it is pathetic that a $125k GT3 leaks oil while my 11 year old NSX doesn't leak a drop.
Wanna know irony?

Irony is having 4 911's and the only one that leaks oil is the lone water-pumper GT3.
Old 05-10-2009, 12:54 AM
m42racer
Three Wheelin'

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I too had the same problem. The seal was replaced 2 times under warranty and never sealed. I drove the car hard as it was designed to be driven. Finally I decided to have it looked at by someone whom I consider would know the fault and could fix it. My decision was based upon the following.

Dealer people are under the control of Porsche due to warranty conditions. They can only do what Porsche tells them too. They are also parts changers at best. They know how to change the parts but not find the cause. Service advisers work for the dealer Not you.

Porsche seem not to care or does not know the cause. Why, this I have not yet figured out yet. What I do know is they advised the dealer to replace the seal with the same one. This never solved the problem on my car and many others. This gives me the cause to think they do not know either or do not care. Twice repaired and not solved.

So I gave the problem to someone I know would help. The very first thing I was told was this. The RMS is nothing special to this engine. The Case, Crank and Seal are all common applications and if done correctly will seal. There is nothing special about GT3 engines that make this something different. This gave me the satisfaction that I was going to get it fixed.

I have now a leak free GT3 engine that has been driven hard and not a drop. I also run a 0 weight race oil and no leaks.

I had to pay for the solution but after 2 times at the dealer and no luck, I felt I had no choice. I do not believe the dealer is your friend here nor do I believe they have any idea how to fix it. If Porsche has no clue, the dealer has none either. They are not engine people or engineers, just parts changers who have their hands tied by Porsche. Guess who gets the shaft.
Old 05-10-2009, 04:55 AM
mental dental
Advanced

From my recent experience Porsche may have finally woken up and realised that just throwing new rear main seals at some cars is not going to solve the problem, hence the use of the diagnostic kit on my engine to trace the leak.

So far I am pleased with the way that my local dealership have acted and have been instructed, both by Porsche cars GB and Porsche Germany. The source of my leak appears to have been found, so I am relying on the technician assessing the situation when he splits the crank-case; as to whether it just needs resealing or needs new parts.

The technician working on my engine has worked part-time for Porsche racing teams recently so should know his stuff, and not just be reading it from the manual.

Will keep you posted.
Old 05-10-2009, 10:07 AM
sws1
Pro

Originally Posted by m42racer
So I gave the problem to someone I know would help. The very first thing I was told was this. The RMS is nothing special to this engine. The Case, Crank and Seal are all common applications and if done correctly will seal. There is nothing special about GT3 engines that make this something different. This gave me the satisfaction that I was going to get it fixed.

I have now a leak free GT3 engine that has been driven hard and not a drop. I also run a 0 weight race oil and no leaks.
Care to share the secret with the rest of us?
Old 05-10-2009, 11:29 AM
///Mous3
Burning Brakes

Question

Originally Posted by sws1
Care to share the secret with the rest of us?
Please do. I also wonder if that repair void all other factory warranty?
Old 05-11-2009, 12:20 AM
m42racer
Three Wheelin'

I'll ask and post. I have no idea exactly, but it was not a big deal. The engine had to come out and the repair was easy, I'm told. As for your factory warranty, nothing I know was done that would make this void. I think the repair was simple and what should have been done by the dealer if they knew or were allowed.
Old 05-11-2009, 07:27 AM
MarekN
Racer

The idea that Porsche doesn´t know what causes it is pretty hard to ingest. I have 24,000 km on the GT3 and no leaks at all so far. I do, however, smell burned oil after driving it hard and stopping, would anyone care to explain that?

The treatment mental dental has received in GB is exemplary, but it is the only case so far that has been handled in this way as far as this board is concerned.

We see that either the seal itself leaks or the crankcase leaks, so these are two issues which have to be solved. I think that as for the seal leaking, this should be no rocket science to engineer differently, but in the real world it´s a question in the factory of actually getting around to it, coming up with a fix that is proven to work so they won´t have to do it over again and finally getting the seal supplier and engine people to do it. Same for the crankcase leakage, which is probably worksmanship-related.

Looked at in this way, you can see how Porsche is simply putting this on the backburner and hoping that people will live with it.

Let´s see if the Mk2 will have the same issue or if a solution was quietly included into the 3.8 engine.

Quick Reply: 3rd Attempt on RMS Leak?