Good Hauler?

Search this Thread

Old 03-04-2007, 11:11 PM
allegretto
Nordschleife Master

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Good Hauler?

Sort of on and off topic;

I plan on tracking and even hauling the RS and spare parts to regional tracks this summer. I need a good support/hauler for the trailer and goodies.

I am looking at;

Honda Ridgeline (barely capable, but an otherwiase plesant vehicle)
Chevy Avalanche (redesign this year)
Toyota Tundra (also redesign)

Will also use it for other utility tasks, but this is its main function. High milage is not too important but unless I'm running I hate to be waseful.

An other ideas or experiences to share??
Old 03-04-2007, 11:15 PM
frayed
Race Car

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

The Nissan is truely a badass hauler. I don't own one but my friend does. It'll pull a house down but wont annoy the crap out of you with repairs.

Bettter driving than domestics and the Toyota, but still has grunt.
Old 03-04-2007, 11:34 PM
OldGuy
Addict
Lifetime Rennlist

Received 41 Likes on 6 Posts

If you want a REAL hauler you need a diesel. Here in California any track I pull my 22' enclosed trailer to, I have to go over some pass including going to Fernley outside Reno. "NOT $40K!!!!" You say!!
I agree its alot but in 04 when I bought mine it was the do all end all truck. Now Diesel trucks have slowed and you can get one for a good price like everyone had employee pricing last year. But last weekend I heard one Chevy Dealer had $5000 off plus 0%. I was at the Toyota dealer this weekend looking for a tacoma for my 17 year old and there was a Tundra for $41000!!! So for that you can get a Ford or Chevy/GMC with a motor that will last forever and get better gas milage than a gas truck.
Fords are built by International I think and Chevys are built by Izuzu with the Allison Transmission.
I chipped my Chevy with the edge with Attitude and in race mode it has 425 Hp with 900 foot pounds of torque. I keep it in mileage mode. I have gotten up to 20mpg driving up to Mammoth at
8000 feet but I had to keep my foot out of it. When I went up to Fernley I had to go up conway summit and I was pulling my car to 8300' alt. I was passing Hondas and trucks and everything while that Turbo Diesel zoomed up at 60mph+. My chevy is quiet fast and comfortable.
I think with the soft market you can pick up (pardon the pun) one for a nice price.
I am not a big American truck fan but I havent had any problems with this truck in 3 years 30 K miles.

This was my first american car purchase since 1978
Old 03-04-2007, 11:35 PM
Likemystoppie?
Banned

Originally Posted by allegretto
Sort of on and off topic;

I plan on tracking and even hauling the RS and spare parts to regional tracks this summer. I need a good support/hauler for the trailer and goodies.

I am looking at;

Honda Ridgeline (barely capable, but an otherwiase plesant vehicle)
Chevy Avalanche (redesign this year)
Toyota Tundra (also redesign)

Will also use it for other utility tasks, but this is its main function. High milage is not too important but unless I'm running I hate to be waseful.

An other ideas or experiences to share??
If I were you I'd seriously look at the Ford F series. I've owned both the F150, with the larger engine and the 7700lb package (F250 suspension) and an F350. I absolutely LOVED that F350. Handled incredible. I'm not joking- once had to avoid a car stopped DEAD on the highway and came at it @ 75+ mph, that truck swerved and got back on track with OUT any drama.

Seriously, best truck in the world, great deals to be had on them, and you'll truely love it.

SUV- stay AWAY from the Armada- Neat truck, but HORRIBLE resale value. And if you're so inclined, check out the GL450. 335hp, tons of amenities and a 7500lb towing capacity with 'anti-trailer sway technology' built right into it. Heated seats, CD changer and power everything STANDARD at $55,400. Leases out damn well too. Motor Trends SUV of the year. I sell a ton of'em.

But for the money, the Ford F series are INCREDIBLE trucks.
Old 03-04-2007, 11:38 PM
OldGuy
Addict
Lifetime Rennlist

All myfreinds have the F250 I like the Fords better but I wanted the Allison Tranny. The new ford Diesel has a new twin turbo-that sounds pretty hot.
Old 03-04-2007, 11:43 PM
allegretto
Nordschleife Master

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Old Guy- which model?

Stoppie- tomorrow they are building the GL 450 with the Blutec for my wife and kids. Should be here in a month or so. I want an open bed though.

Thanks fells.
Old 03-04-2007, 11:43 PM
eclou
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 1,165 Likes on 574 Posts

I used to haul with a V8 Touareg. The active air suspension that the Egg, Cayenne, and Q7 share actually allow you to tow with the smoothness of a long-wheelbase truck. My trailer is a roll/tilt back design so I also could lower the hitch height which allowed a more gentle inclination to climb - hence no extra 2x4 shim ramps.

Currently I haul with an 01 LS1 motor'd Z71 pickup. This truck which started out as my last-minute purchase to evacuate Hurricane Rita has become my DD. 120k miles at purchase and I have put on another 10k with no service issues. Uses almost no oil and 20mpg on the highway. Replacement LS1's run less than 1k, aftermarket wheels are $250/4, custom tuned ECU's (whole new box) run $150. Close to 300 rwhp with headers (long tube 321SS for $500), cat back Magnaflow ($300), E-Fans ($100). It's practically Monopoly money.
Old 03-04-2007, 11:54 PM
OldGuy
Addict
Lifetime Rennlist

ALgretto any of the Chevy/GMCs 2500HD with the Diesel they all come with towing pakcages up to like
15000 pounds OR any FORD F250 Diesel Model will work I would be happy with any of those. I think Ford has the built in trailer brake controller.
I think any of these mid line trucks with 7Klbs towing capacities are at the high end of their liimits in towing with a enclosed trailer Car-3000+ Trailer 3000+
(mine had a awning tool boxes fuel and water tanks so its heavier) so one of these diesels hardly breathes hard pulling a trailer car combo.
Old 03-05-2007, 12:00 AM
Crazy Canuck
Race Director

Received 218 Likes on 108 Posts

Ford was having serious problems with their turbo-diesel last year.

The GMC/Chevy will be much a much easier driving truck. At work we have a 2000 F-350 diesel and a 2002 GMC 2500HD diesel with the 5 speed Allison transmission. Given a choice I'll drive the GMC every time over the Ford. Easier to drive, better steering, better brakes ...

We were talking tonight about getting rid of it and getting another, new GMC diesel with the now 6 speed Allison transmission. The next one will be a crew cab.

FWIW, all we do with our trucks is tow and plow snow, two of the most abusive tasks assigned to a truck.
Old 03-05-2007, 12:07 AM
OldGuy
Addict
Lifetime Rennlist

WOW, Chris you made me feel better. all My buddies are getting fords and I felt bad. BUt I like my
chevy and its fun to play with-a bear to park though I got the crew cab.
Old 03-05-2007, 12:35 AM
Crazy Canuck
Race Director

Received 218 Likes on 108 Posts

Originally Posted by OldGuy
WOW, Chris you made me feel better. all My buddies are getting fords and I felt bad. BUt I like my
chevy and its fun to play with-a bear to park though I got the crew cab.
One of our friends just got a new GMC 2500HD 4x4 crewcab with the Duramax diesel and the 6 speed Allison. What a beautiful truck to drive. It doesn't beat you up like our Ford. It has a cool feature where you can select manual mode for the transmission to hold a gear (going up a hill, down a hill etc.) rather than it shift up and down when you don't want it to. It is also very quiet. Much quieter than the Ford or Dodge and even quieter than our 2002 GMC Duramax.

I'm not a chevy guy or a ford guy. I would just rather drive the truck that does the job and is the easiest to live with. At the moment the product from the General is IMO the truck to buy. It will be interesting to see if Toyota comes out with the diesel in the new Tundra as they are rumored.

My company sells RV trailers, enclosed trailers, equipment trailers etc. so we see all the new trucks, put in all kinds of different equipment, install different brake controllers, weight distribution systems, fifth wheels etc. and, IMO the optimal combination for me, towing an enclosed trailer (say up to 30') or RV trailer would be:

GMC 2500HD Crew Cab 4x4 Duramax with 6 speed Allison auto trans
6'6" bed
Tekonsha Prodigy Brake Controller
Reese dual cam sway control

Duallies are great for side to side stability but they aren't great if you drive them in the winter without a load in the bed and they are cumbersome around town. If you do lots of long distance, interstate hauls get a dually. If not single rear wheel is just fine. Both our trucks are SRW.

If a fifth wheel is required I like the Husky sliding hitch. There is even an air ride option. We have direct access to the Reese, Draw-Tite & Hidden Hitch (now all three are owned by Cequent towing products along with Tekonsha) and I would rather have the Husky. The underbed system is what we've been doing lately. No rails to go in the box and no drilling of the hydroformed chassis (big no no in the eyes of the Big 3).

If a gooseneck is required I'd go with a system that doesn't cut into the box too bad. The flip up gooseneck ball is ok if you live in the south. Up north they seize after a few winters unless they are lubed and who does that?

Get a Line-X sprayed in bed liner and a tool box and you will be good to go.
Old 03-05-2007, 12:58 AM
OldGuy
Addict
Lifetime Rennlist

I like to hear stories from the front-- trucks being used and what the real stories are.
THanks Chris!! My truck is wired for a 5th wheel but since we have a place in the mountains we dont go camping -just to the condo so my truck hauls my car trailer.
Old 03-05-2007, 01:10 AM
Snowboarder54
Rennlist Member

Received 12 Likes on 4 Posts

Duramax all the way!! I have 67,000 miles on my 04, 450 HP and 930 lb. ft. of tq. Have the Banks exhaust & six gun tuner. Keep it on position 6 at all times. Only service issue has been front wheel bearings as I have a 6" lift with 315's on 10" weld wheels. Oh, and rear tires!
Old 03-05-2007, 04:55 AM
turbo187
Advanced

ran across this today; thought it might help

http://www.trailerboats.com/output.cfm?id=1210051
Old 03-05-2007, 12:15 PM
JRCNRING
Advanced

Received 3 Likes on 1 Post

The Tundra of the three is the best bet, reliability is awsome plus the depresiation is not that agresive.

I towed my car on a flat bed steel trailer with my Toyota 4 runner V8. Not bad but a bit heavy for the brakes.
Another great hauler is the VW Touareg V10 Diesel, I have a friend that has the same steel flat bed as I do and even passes cars on slight inclines with it, hauling his Murcielago to the track.

Quick Reply: Good Hauler?