Good Hauler?

Search this Thread

Old 03-05-2007, 12:21 PM
ltc
Super Moderator
Needs More Cowbell

Lifetime Rennlist

Received 10 Likes on 10 Posts

This has been discussed many times in the Racing/DE forum.

In the end, it always comes down to wheelbase, the longer the better. After that, torque and a transmission/gearing designed for towing.

Yes, you can tow with a Tundra, Ridgeline, Touareg, Cayenne when things go well.
It's when things don't go well (side winds..especially with enclosed car haulers, getting cut off in traffic, tail wagging) that a marginal tow vehicle can be a dangerous liability.
Old 03-05-2007, 12:27 PM
bucking
Instructor

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Allegretto: I have used a Dodge 2500 Cummins turbo diesel for several years. Great tow vehicle; significant torque across the board. I also like the Cummins because it is an inline 6 cyl. and very servicable. I would not be afraid of the Ford or GM turbo diesels either. Buy from a good dealer who will take care of you and your truck. Properly maintained, the truck will serve your needs for many many miles. But, get a diesel, the trailer towing capability of a diesel rig is simply without compare.
Old 03-05-2007, 01:44 PM
grussell
Pro

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I tow my Cup car on a featherlite open trailer with a MBZ GL450. The GL is a great tow vehicle for this combo.
Old 03-05-2007, 03:03 PM
eclou
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 1,165 Likes on 574 Posts

The last 6.0l Ford diesel is one to avoid. They are already dumping it with all the problems it has had.
Old 03-05-2007, 04:03 PM
allegretto
Nordschleife Master

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Thanks fellas, this is great. I am going to drive a new Silverado w/6.2 Duramax (and 6-sp Allison) tomorrow and one with the 5.3 gas. I have no interest in flex-fuel since I think that is a fad that will pass once folks realize how much it really costs.

I really did want to try a diesel but I was afraid of the US engines that were just adapted gas-burners. But this Duramax (an others) get rave reviews. I like the simplicity, longevity and superior efficency of a diesel.

It's all going to make shopping for a hauler almost as much fun as shopping for a car!
Old 03-05-2007, 05:30 PM
supercup
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 80 Likes on 48 Posts

Originally Posted by eclou
The last 6.0l Ford diesel is one to avoid. They are already dumping it with all the problems it has had.

The Ford 6.0L was built from 2003 -2007 - so it was not dumped, it was at the end of its lifecycle. They did have a number of problems with the 6.0, but so did the early Duramax engines as well. Many of the problems of the diesels come to trucks that have installed tuners and are running high hp and torque then they were built to. The 6.0 has little margin for safety. A lot of blown head gaskets, bad turbos etc...

Seems like if you get a bad one it stays bad, but if you get a good one you have not issues. Mine has worked out fine (even with mods), but I don't abuse it.

All the Diesels Ford, Dodge and GM (Chevy or GMC) are great for towing, you simply can't go wrong with any of them. In my view the GM offers the best motor and transmission package, so if you can live with their truck that is the best way to go.

Stay away from the new Ford 6.4 which just came out. Nothing wrong with the engine, but IH and Ford are in a lawsuit over the 6.0 and the 6.4 that IH makes for Ford. IH stopped shipping engines to Ford last week (new 6.4) and then a judge ordered they resume on Friday on a "temporary basis". If they don't work it out you don't want to own a Ford truck with an engine that can't be supported. For that matter if they don't work it out it will put Ford in BK for sure as the SD is the most profitable line and the sell 77% with Diesel motors.

The key is to get a truck that is up to handling your load. You don't need a diesel for a open trailer, but once you go enclosed bigger is better.

JCM

Quick Reply: Good Hauler?