Sponsored by: Porsche North Houston

How will you use your RS?

Search this Thread

Old 03-03-2007, 09:41 PM
mowblowgo
Advanced

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default How will you use your RS?

A few friends have asked me what I intend to do after taking delivery of my RS? That is a great question. My first thought is to keep it stock... throw it into the trailer with the race car, and use it at the track every few events . My biggest challenge will be to leave it mostly stock. I have always over-modded everything I own. That being said, the thought of safety equip., solid bushings, sway bars, moton shocks and some basic engine mods. are starting to work my brain. What are you guys doing with yours?
Old 03-03-2007, 11:14 PM
jimhuber
Racer

Originally Posted by mowblowgo
A few friends have asked me what I intend to do after taking delivery of my RS? That is a great question. My first thought is to keep it stock... throw it into the trailer with the race car, and use it at the track every few events . My biggest challenge will be to leave it mostly stock. I have always over-modded everything I own. That being said, the thought of safety equip., solid bushings, sway bars, moton shocks and some basic engine mods. are starting to work my brain. What are you guys doing with yours?
Mods are to say the least expensive and offer the start to the end. First I think one must draw the line between what is a mod and what is not. Example, tires, not a mod. However, what about shocks? Well in this case i think yes they would be a mod. I really do not think this is the car to monkey with. I think any of the ROW parts are not mods. I think the best way to change this car is to install all of the row stuff. This car is good as it is. I look at any old cool car and what is worth more and what gets my attention the most it is a stock car with all of the options. I can see the buy a new RS and mack it out with all of good stuff from front to rear only to have in a few years a worked over car that is a shadow of its self. I to have always changed something from stock on the way home from the dealership and on this car my deal was to order it the way I want from the factory and no more. This car will turn more heads than a overworked full mod car. Just my thoughts for now.
Old 03-03-2007, 11:28 PM
BobbyC
Rennlist Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Start with stock, safety equip, and good brake fluid...and then adjust settings as NEEDED. The RS needs few mods IMO.
Old 03-03-2007, 11:39 PM
supercup
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 80 Likes on 48 Posts

Mogoblow,

I plan to leave mine stock, well except for the factory roll bar, 6 pt. harness and maybe the factory seats (or other Lightweight Race Seats). I do have a set of Motons I just took off my GT2, but due to PASM I don't plan to make that change. Like you I have a dedicated track car (Cup car) so I plan on the RS as a street car. I will take it to the track once in awhile, but will keep my track car my track car and my street car my street car.

There is something to be said for an unmodified street car like the RS. A lot of go, but no issues.

Do you still have the Viper race car? Get a Cup car and come join us at PCA/POC events this year.

JCM
Old 03-04-2007, 02:36 AM
mooty
GT3 player par excellence
Lifetime Rennlist

Received 5,480 Likes on 2,269 Posts

i got tired of mods.
this one will stay stock, except, tires, pads, hi temp fluids, seats, harness and roll bar.
basically all safety related.
Old 03-04-2007, 09:00 AM
smlporsche
Drifting

Received 9 Likes on 6 Posts

Originally Posted by mooty
i got tired of mods.
this one will stay stock, except, tires, pads, hi temp fluids, seats, harness and roll bar.
basically all safety related.
Who believes this???

We need to start a betting pool as to how long he'll keep it stock. My $ is on 3 months tops!

Sorry Mooty your busted !
Old 03-04-2007, 09:39 AM
my911rs
Rennlist Member

I am going to keep mine stock, including ROW parts for safety. I am not decided on if to make it my main track car, or buy a used cup car for the track. Funny, with the GT3 I had no such reservations.
Can anybody educate me on the yearly budget for a cup car assuming 6 events per year?
Old 03-05-2007, 09:55 PM
leif997
Three Wheelin'

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by my911rs
I am going to keep mine stock, including ROW parts for safety. I am not decided on if to make it my main track car, or buy a used cup car for the track. Funny, with the GT3 I had no such reservations.
Can anybody educate me on the yearly budget for a cup car assuming 6 events per year?
can you handle the pain??

used Cup Car 80K - 175K (how fast do you want to go?)

Transportation: $1500-$2500 per event depending on distance
track side support: $500 -$1000/day depending on which team you use.
fuel: $6/gallon x 20 - 30 gallons/day
tires: $1400-$1800 per set/ usually 2 sets per 3 day race weekend
track insurance: $250-$450 per day depending on replacement value
transportation/paddock/storage insurance: about $5000/year
food/lodging: up to you; figure on ~ $300/day

multiply above X 6 race weekends

potential engine refreshening at end of season: ~$25K
full suspension replacement per corner if damaged: ~10-25K
potential gear box rebuild: ~10-15K

Thrill of racing/driving at 10/10ths in one of the worlds finest racing machines: Priceless
Old 03-06-2007, 12:20 AM
mowblowgo
Advanced

Originally Posted by supercup
Mogoblow,

I plan to leave mine stock, well except for the factory roll bar, 6 pt. harness and maybe the factory seats (or other Lightweight Race Seats). I do have a set of Motons I just took off my GT2, but due to PASM I don't plan to make that change. Like you I have a dedicated track car (Cup car) so I plan on the RS as a street car. I will take it to the track once in awhile, but will keep my track car my track car and my street car my street car.

There is something to be said for an unmodified street car like the RS. A lot of go, but no issues.

Do you still have the Viper race car? Get a Cup car and come join us at PCA/POC events this year.

JCM
I will probably limit myself to safety equip. and call it a day. Seems like it will be a pretty cool car to leave stock. Regarding Cup car, I am wait listed for an '08 and have been searching used market for the last couple of months. Hopefully soon.
Old 03-06-2007, 06:29 PM
supercup
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 80 Likes on 48 Posts

Originally Posted by mowblowgo
I will probably limit myself to safety equip. and call it a day. Seems like it will be a pretty cool car to leave stock. Regarding Cup car, I am wait listed for an '08 and have been searching used market for the last couple of months. Hopefully soon.
Do you want a 997 or a 996?

Quick Reply: How will you use your RS?