Sponsored by: Porsche North Houston

Report on new GT3 tyre in rain?

Search this Thread

Old 02-25-2007, 06:46 PM
Sun Ra
Drifting

Received 56 Likes on 23 Posts
Default Report on new GT3 tyre in rain?

Whilst a search unearthed this thread, which clearly indicates the new Porsche N GT3 tyre is improved vs a standard Cup for rain

https://rennlist.com/forums/wheel-and-tire-forum/329233-michelin-pilot-sport-cup-a-study-in-standard-model-and-porsche-n-spec.html

Who can actually report on the new stock GT3 tyre in the rain? Does it compare to Pilot Sports, or is it just marginally better than Cups? TIA
Old 02-26-2007, 12:50 PM
930man
Rennlist Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

lol i can report ! i just drove the Gt3 at VIR yesterday in the rain.... and drove home in the rain...

scarry !!!!! very scary... the car wandered all over the place on the highway... anything over 55 mph was *** tightening...

the track was pretty cool 50 degree. very little grip ... tail stepped out regulary ... break traction in going in to third gear on the straights.. i admit i was playing but they are very simular to the original cups.

with ceramics imediately went to antilock ..

car was alot of fun in the rain would have rathe had pilot sports on it in the rain...
Old 02-26-2007, 01:25 PM
NJ-GT
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 9 Likes on 7 Posts

I drove my GT3 on MPSC in the rain at Watkins Glen. Top Speed 80mph. They have zero grip on sub 40s temperature even when dry. Dangerous.

The MPSC is a race tire. It needs to heat up to get grip, that's not happening in the rain, or freezing temperatures.

In the opposite side, I drove the same car with PS2 at Pocono racetrack in the snow, at 30 degrees weather. I was lapping faster than anything else at the track, including a Cayenne Twin Turbo.

Leave the MPSC for dry track days, and get street tires for the street.

The PS2 is not designed for winter driving, but it's holding pretty well getting around NJ/NY in the snow.

Get dedicated winter tires for safe snow driving, like the Continental ContiWinterContact TS810 S Porsche N0 Spec, 235/35VR19 and 295/30VR19.
Old 02-26-2007, 01:45 PM
stout
Rennlist Member

Received 1,278 Likes on 597 Posts

Originally Posted by watt
Who can actually report on the new stock GT3 tyre in the rain? Does it compare to Pilot Sports, or is it just marginally better than Cups? TIA
Watt,

Are you asking about street performance? I can't speak to the GT3 PSC on track, nor can I speak to GT3 PSC vs. standard PSC, but I can compare it to PS2s on the street in two situations:

-Freeway: Just ~okay~ while following the tracks of a car ahead of me @ 60-65 mph, but downright scary when I moved to the fast lane and moved up to about 70-75 mph. I moved right back into Lane #2 and settled in for the ride in someone else's tracks. Never had this problem on any 997 with PS2s in the rain, so I'd say the GT3 PSCs are not good at all at combatting hydroplaning, this despite their more generous grooves.

-Backroad: Surprised that they live up to Porsche's claims. With plenty of rain but good drainage and no standing water -- and, crucially, less speed -- it felt fine to push up to a pretty decent pace. Suprisingly decent, in fact.

All up, though, they are simply not good rain tires. Period. I've love to try a 997 GT3 on the street on PS2s. And, even without trying it, if the car was going to be my daily, I'd have a set handy...

It may not be the straight PSC vs. GT3 PSC data point you're after, but hopefully, it's one more piece of the puzzle.

pete

Last edited by stout; 02-26-2007 at 01:47 PM. Reason: additional observation...
Old 02-26-2007, 02:21 PM
Sun Ra
Drifting

Received 56 Likes on 23 Posts

thanks guys,

what i'm trying to get at is street safety/performance in the rain. we all know of crashes on the old Cups in the wet, and it sounds like this new tyre is marginal at high freeway speeds, but pete is saying it's ok in the mountains... which is mostly my issue: getting to the office safely when it rains in LA very occasionally, down the mountain and 10 miles of PCH. it sounds like i can do it, but we'll take another rig if a long wet highway trip is planned.

BTW, i was pleasantly surprised in P is delivering my 3 this week, about 7 weeks ahead of expectation
Old 02-26-2007, 03:05 PM
stout
Rennlist Member

Received 1,278 Likes on 597 Posts

but pete is saying it's ok in the mountains... which is mostly my issue:
Emphasis on *okay* up to six- or seven-tenths.

These are definitely "dry" summer tires -- i.e. I think those that push it might get caught out...

Will be very curious to hear your thoughts.

pete
Old 02-26-2007, 03:44 PM
BobbyC
Rennlist Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Seems to me that for street use the answers is PS2s...who can get the tires hot enough, or find roads good enough (at least in the NE), or wants to switch back and forth for dry/wet conditions. Save the N rated MPSC for dry track use.
Old 02-26-2007, 03:53 PM
E55AMG
Rennlist Member

Received 645 Likes on 326 Posts

thanks guys,

BTW, i was pleasantly surprised in P is delivering my 3 this week, about 7 weeks ahead of expectation
Wow, 7 weeks!! That's great news. I've seen a few guys on the TT forum who are also seeing cars a few weeks early. Hope I'm that lucky as i'm sick of waiting.
Old 02-26-2007, 08:38 PM
930man
Rennlist Member

they are track tires... guess best way to say
Old 02-26-2007, 09:07 PM
GT3 Nut
Rennlist Member

Received 172 Likes on 83 Posts

What do people think of going with Toyo RA-1's (unshaved) for street duty and occassional track use? Better or worse than PS2 for rain? I want to put a set of tires on the 18" wheels I have coming for my GT3 and want to make sure they are good for all around use.
Old 02-26-2007, 10:11 PM
mooty
GT3 player par excellence
Lifetime Rennlist

Received 5,482 Likes on 2,269 Posts

i have no prob driving full tread RA1 10/10 in the wet (not over standing water, i mind you). this is as good as all season tire (if you have full tread). better than PS 2 in the wet AND in the dry IMHO. just a matter of getting the right size for your car.
Old 02-26-2007, 10:42 PM
frayed
Race Car

IMO, I can't understand the infatuation with MPSCs. I really like PS2s as street tires b/c of how direct they are. PSCs on track require a lot of heat and never really delivered that hand of god grip in my experience and aren't happy in the rain. Had better luck with kumhos and RA1s in the rain.

Going to wear out the stock PSCs, run 18" Nittos (said to be the updated RA1, which I like) on track and PS2s on street. Keep the heat cycles off the track rubber, too.

Even lesser of a fan of the Corsas.
Old 02-26-2007, 10:46 PM
rmag
Three Wheelin'

Received 50 Likes on 18 Posts

The N specs are better than the "regular" ones in the rain, but far from ideal on the street (used to run the MPSC on my turbo). As put so eloquently above ... still *** tightening in standing water though... at speed on the highway .. hit some heavy water .. and practically zero grip
Old 02-27-2007, 12:44 AM
GT3 Nut
Rennlist Member

Received 172 Likes on 83 Posts

Originally Posted by frayed
Going to wear out the stock PSCs, run 18" Nittos (said to be the updated RA1, which I like) on track and PS2s on street. Keep the heat cycles off the track rubber, too.
What are the Nitto's? model #? Where to buy?
Old 02-27-2007, 01:38 AM
mooty
GT3 player par excellence
Lifetime Rennlist

Received 5,482 Likes on 2,269 Posts

Originally Posted by GT3 Nut
What are the Nitto's? model #? Where to buy?
http://www.nittotire.com/#index%2Edealers

NT-01 is the model

Quick Reply: Report on new GT3 tyre in rain?