Sponsored by: Porsche North Houston

from 3rd in line to new GT3 owner today

Search this Thread

Old 12-05-2006, 11:03 PM
997gt3north
Drifting

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
Default from 3rd in line to new GT3 owner today

- won't name the dealership but my 3rd inline became 5th inline as another salesman was scamming the system plus he said he had deposits on 3 gts and had no deposits
- car was delivered 2 days ago, 1st in line starts to make excuses, my salesguy finds out there in infact is no deposit on the car, #2 in line is slow to react (was a doc in surgery) I get down to the dealer and say I will take the car yesterday
- what started late yesterday, ended today, with me buying the dealerships first GT3 (white, ceramics, black alcantara, leather sports steering wheel, crono, mats) at MSRP
- salesguy lets me start the car right in the showroom, after checking that the car is in neutral at least 10X, I start the car, hit the sports buttom, blip the throttle and the sound is just beyond incredible
- I basically get a standing ovation from the salesguys and the 3 customers in the dealship that have all come over just to drool over the car
- I'm off for vacation so dealership keeps the car for a while

- can't stop thinking about the beginning of track season next spring

- If my experience can be of help to others it is that salesguys know that this car is desireable and are trying to game the system but if you have a good salesperson, you may be lucky like me if you have cash in hand the day a car arrives
Old 12-05-2006, 11:04 PM
Crazy Canuck
Race Director

Received 218 Likes on 108 Posts

Congratulations.

How north are you?
Old 12-05-2006, 11:11 PM
997gt3north
Drifting

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

i'm a torontonian currently working in nyc - might be back in toronto next year
Old 12-05-2006, 11:59 PM
mooty
GT3 player par excellence
Lifetime Rennlist

Received 5,481 Likes on 2,269 Posts

Originally Posted by 997gt3north

I'm off for vacation so dealership keeps the car for a while
one, congratulations. i have the good fortune to drive a friend's 997GT3 today, WOW, my will be coming soon.

two, on vacation and dealer keeps the car for a while??? how about TAKE the car on the vacation
Old 12-06-2006, 12:03 AM
Crazy Canuck
Race Director

Received 218 Likes on 108 Posts

Mooty are you getting a 'regular' (sounds wrong since it's an amazing car) or an RS?
Old 12-06-2006, 12:06 AM
mooty
Lifetime Rennlist

Originally Posted by Crazy Canuck
Mooty are you getting a 'regular' (sounds wrong since it's an amazing car) or an RS?
that has not yet been determined.
my EVIL friend who let me tasted his GT3 is telling me to wait for the RS.
Old 12-06-2006, 12:08 AM
NJ-GT
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 9 Likes on 7 Posts

Mooty,

Just be aware that Laguna Seca won't be on your calendar anymore...

How was the 997 GT3 test drive? I'm waiting for my turn.
Old 12-06-2006, 12:27 AM
mooty
Lifetime Rennlist

Originally Posted by NJ-GT
Mooty,

Just be aware that Laguna Seca won't be on your calendar anymore...

How was the 997 GT3 test drive? I'm waiting for my turn.
sh*t, RS will not pass 92db?

the test drive was on a very new car sub 200 miles so i took it easy. but it clearly has more grunt and tq. not too much, but definitely felt. you are right PCCB is great, i am just too cheap to replace those with the track time i put on my cars.

the 997 is all stock. turn in was more immediate, chassis is def. stiffer even compared to my which had a very beefy roll bar (not tequipment stuff). front end is noticeably less floaty than 996gt3. int was not full leather but felt higher qty than 996 and zero rattles. the gear level is AMAZING. think s2000 but stiffeer and more precise. the clutch has shorter take up and slight softer than 996. exhaust is throatier and lower pitched. i resisted very hard to not go above 5k rpm, i would love to hear the bitch moan at 7k though.

evetything felt more precise (compared to my stock gt3, not moton gt3), it's a COMPLELTE car in that the soft pasm mode is stiff enough for aggresive st. use like 996 but has better damping (maybe pasm is constantly adjusting it), it doe not "bounce" off rough pavement like my gt3 did. the stiff pasm setting is noticeably stiffer, but i was on surface street didn't push so i can't say how much lean/roll it will have on track or at AX. it is more streetable than 996gt3, but NOT soften'd in the bad sense. it can be used as a daily driver (but it's very low) and drive to track every weekend.

now compared to your car, i think you need to pour more $ on the new GT3 to set it up for YOUR needs. but for most of us who track non competitively, i can't see many, if any, car that can approach the new GT3 in versatility.

ps. my opionion of the car is based on my believe that GT3 is a STREET car that can be tracked hard. it is NOT a track car. if one really want a track car. buy a cup car.

oh, yes sunroof. i think if you are less than 6' tall, there is NO way your helmeted head will rub the roof. and no rattle or squeak from the hole either. it was closed when i drove it and not a squeak.

sorry for my jumbled notes. i am still in awe. i am writing a long note to myself so i know what to tell the wife when she gets home that i need this new toy.
Old 12-06-2006, 12:49 AM
TT Gasman
Drifting

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Let me get this straight, an MD is in surgery potentially saving a life, and the sleezy salesman scammed him out of his car. Nice. If I was that doc I would be pissed. Nothing like morals in the car business.
Better watch out they might sell the car while you're on vacation.
Old 12-06-2006, 01:44 AM
Carrera GT
Wordsmith
Rennlist Member

Received 10 Likes on 9 Posts

Originally Posted by DJ 996
Let me get this straight, an MD is in surgery potentially saving a life, and the sleezy salesman scammed him out of his car. Nice. If I was that doc I would be pissed. Nothing like morals in the car business.
The "surgeon operating" story is, well, far-fetched at best. Why they even bother with these nonsense stories to create "compelling events" is beyond reason. Good grief, anyone who's learned basic selling techniques has seen the simple tactics for telling the prospective buyer enough to push them to make a decision.

In this case, I imagine the sales manager threw raw meat into the cage and all the sales guys got to gnaw on it. Each of them would come back with a firm offer over MSRP and the highest over-bid takes the car. The other customers are told someone "before" them exercised their option. I witnessed this unfold over the course of yesterday and today with a launch car. All it took was a customer willing to offer way too much and the car was gone. Now the idiots at the dealership don't have a launch car for all their customers to see. It's as if they've never even seen their own marketing strategy -- buying a Porsche is rarely spontaneous or impetuous much less impulsive. The motivation to own a 911 builds up over years like a small boy walking home from school and going out of his way to stop and look at the Porsche dealership knowing that "one day" he'll buy the car of his dreams. To seed that business requires an ownership and a strategy for the dealership to look beyond the quick buck. Why do Porsche dealerships hire retrenched Cadillac sales management?

As long as the dealership is the worst part of owning a Porsche, it's up to PAG to go visit a bloody Lexus dealership. Good grief!

ps. Mooty -- come on, send me an email, who owns the GT3? You have one coming? Want my "spare" in March? ... only $30K over MSRP ... : )
Old 12-06-2006, 11:00 AM
TT Surgeon
Race Director

Received 14 Likes on 14 Posts

Personally, I'd be pissed if some salesbitch paged me in the OR while I'm doing a big cancer resection, just to pressure me into jumping on a car. Even lower on the evolutionary chain is the a- hole who would bump me on a 'list' just because I didn't jump fast enough for him.
But I agree probably a BS story concocted by the salesman to get a quick sale
Old 12-06-2006, 03:08 PM
volpenyc
Pro

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by 997gt3north
i'm a torontonian currently working in nyc - might be back in toronto next year
You get the car from Manhattan Motorcars?
Old 12-06-2006, 04:00 PM
MJSpeed
The Rebel
Lifetime Rennlist

Received 40 Likes on 26 Posts

Many, many moons ago before I became a financial advisor, I was the National Business Director for AT&T Business.

I was in a client meeting. One of my sales reps and sales mananger were doing their best at acquiring this high profile account. I was letting them do "their thing" and keeping pretty much out of it. Representing the client in the meeting was their CEO, COO, CIO and MIS Manager.

The latter asked a question to which my sales rep jumps up to immediately answer. He laid out the biggest bunch of bull**** I had ever heard!! Before I could stop him and rectify the situation, the CIO looked at his watch (Rolex SS GMT) and raised his hand as if asking a question or requesting permission to speak in elementary school. My sales rep turned to him and said "do you have a question?" The CIO in the most sincere and calm manner said "no...it's just that I really like this watch and I'd hate to see it get full of ****, so I'm raising it above your bull**** in hopes that you'll stop sometime soon so that I don't have to climb on the table!" I absolutely lost it laughing!!

From now on when you hear and/or someone is trying to feed you this type of ****, just simply raise your hand and wait for your cue...
Old 12-06-2006, 06:46 PM
drkm3
Instructor

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

if you got it from Jack Daniel, I think I am the one who reacted slow.
Old 12-06-2006, 10:03 PM
eclou
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 1,165 Likes on 574 Posts

Originally Posted by DJ 996
It was probably more like a plastics guy stuffing in 350cc's of sheer fun into someone in desperate need of thoracic landscaping

Quick Reply: from 3rd in line to new GT3 owner today