997 GT3 - US version

Search this Thread

Old 04-06-2006, 01:00 PM
GrantG
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 4,721 Likes on 2,691 Posts

Originally Posted by pcar964
By my count, there are only about 10 of us who feel this way on Rennlist. I don't understand it!!
And if there are only 10 on Rennlist, that doesn't bode well for the larger (less enthusiastic) group of prospective buyers...
Old 04-06-2006, 02:53 PM
LastGT3
Racer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

How much are MPSC worth at the ring on a 996GT3 vs the stock MPSII's.
At my track they are worth 3 seconds. I am guessing 10 seconds for the ring?
Old 04-06-2006, 02:57 PM
Joe S.
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

Originally Posted by MJSpeed
I want a car that most people will say, "that guy is just f#@^&! nuts driving that on public roads, its just too harsh, too loud, and has no creature comforts!"
Old 04-06-2006, 03:44 PM
GrantG
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 4,721 Likes on 2,691 Posts

Originally Posted by LastGT3
How much are MPSC worth at the ring on a 996GT3 vs the stock MPSII's.
At my track they are worth 3 seconds. I am guessing 10 seconds for the ring?
I've heard about 7 sec. Less than you would think, since the Ring is so fast and the track temp is always cold (MPSC's don't get sticky until 160F)...
Old 04-06-2006, 04:02 PM
LastGT3
Racer

Well - that is pretty interesting...and the the 997GT3 is how much faster than a 996GT3 at the ring I hope over 7 secs since that is the tire.
Old 04-06-2006, 04:07 PM
Bob Rouleau

Still plays with cars.
Lifetime Rennlist

Received 255 Likes on 119 Posts

Three things - NJ-GT, I have read that the sunroof is a certification issue. Porsche issued a press release saying that all 997s would come with a sun roof because Porsche was told that they would be required to perform crash tests on cars without a sun roof. I guess for the limited number they sell, the economics were bad. So, it's not about a pimped out car, rather pure dollars and cents.

Grant - living up here in the frozen north, I see low track temps in the spring and the fall - I mean a few degrees above freezing. It takes a little longer but I do get my tires up to temperature. I don't know if the measured lap time on the ring is a single flying lap or not. I do suspect that they do at least a warm up lap first. Wouldn't 7 minutes of hard charging get the tires warm? I think so.

Pcar - I think there are a lot more than ten of us here. There are 57 GT3s in Canada. My PCA region is home to 16 of them, nine of them in the instructor group. The cars are all set up with Gerts Clubsport package and we run Cup tires (except in the rain). The lap times of the group are 10-11 seconds slower than the GT3 race cars driven by pros, on slicks in the Rolex race at the same locale. I'd say that was fairly decent driving. The only cars that pass the GT3s are some (note some) GT3 Cup cars on slicks driven by instructors from other regions like NER and NNJR and one from our home region. he and several others are active on Rennlist. And then, there is Larry the Herminator

Best,
Old 04-06-2006, 04:20 PM
LastGT3
Racer

Bob - if the MPSC could be made to get to temp - what is the diffference you see at Tremblant between MPSC and MPSII's for lap times?
I am guessing at least 3 seconds same driver. That's what it is for Mosport.
Old 04-06-2006, 04:45 PM
pcar964
Addict
Lifetime Rennlist

Originally Posted by Bob Rouleau
Pcar - I think there are a lot more than ten of us here. There are 57 GT3s in Canada. My PCA region is home to 16 of them, nine of them in the instructor group. The cars are all set up with Gerts Clubsport package and we run Cup tires (except in the rain). The lap times of the group are 10-11 seconds slower than the GT3 race cars driven by pros, on slicks in the Rolex race at the same locale. I'd say that was fairly decent driving. The only cars that pass the GT3s are some (note some) GT3 Cup cars on slicks driven by instructors from other regions like NER and NNJR and one from our home region. he and several others are active on Rennlist. And then, there is Larry the Herminator

Best,
That's good to hear - I have a hard time relating to guys with sat nav in their Porsche I guess most of us aren't very vocal about it, considering there are 100 "check out my options list" threads to every "look how much weight I saved" thread.
Old 04-06-2006, 05:46 PM
Bob Rouleau

Still plays with cars.
Lifetime Rennlist

Pcar - are you dissing people like me who put options on their GT3? I am bummed! Would you like me again if I took the Xenon headlights off? That's my only option

I agree with you that loading up a GT3 with cosmetic stuff suggests that the owner bought the wrong car. I do wish we could get the sports exhaust package though. In addition to giving me more engine music, it would help mask the various squeaks, groans and boings from the suspension
Old 04-06-2006, 05:57 PM
Rolo
Rhymes With Polo
Rennlist Member

Received 1,052 Likes on 622 Posts

Originally Posted by pcar964
By my count, there are only about 10 of us who feel this way on Rennlist. I don't understand it!!

Old 04-06-2006, 07:52 PM
pcar964
Addict
Lifetime Rennlist

Originally Posted by Bob Rouleau
Pcar - are you dissing people like me who put options on their GT3? I am bummed! Would you like me again if I took the Xenon headlights off? That's my only option

I agree with you that loading up a GT3 with cosmetic stuff suggests that the owner bought the wrong car. I do wish we could get the sports exhaust package though. In addition to giving me more engine music, it would help mask the various squeaks, groans and boings from the suspension
haha - I don't consider your xenon headlights a "pimp" option... Besides, I'm sure my 993 is more of a poser-mobile than your GT3 (but I'm working on it)
Old 04-06-2006, 07:53 PM
pcar964
Addict
Lifetime Rennlist

Originally Posted by Rolo
Old 04-07-2006, 12:27 AM
Flying Finn
King of Cool
Rennlist Member

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

Originally Posted by NJ-GT
I don't care if the 997GT3 comes sunny roofed, pasm, tc, cruise controlled, comfort seats, navi, pumpin stereo, etc, That car doesn't call my attention. It should not be called GT3, it should be called Carrera RS...
If it's pimped out, it should be called Carrera RS?!?!?!?!??!?!?!?!?

Last time a Porsche was called Carrera RS, it was a 993 Carrera RS that did not have sunroof even as an option! As a standard (not some stupid "delete option"), it did not have cupholders, it did not have stereo, it did not have a/c, it did not have rear seats, it did not have sound deadening, it did not have real headliner, it did not have airbag, it did not have electric windows, it did not have any means of navigation, it did not have headlight washers, it did not have etc etc. it did have bucket seats, bigger brakes, thinner glass, aluminum decklid, hood & could be ordered with aluminum doors and was about 265 lbs lighter than regular 993 (993 RS's weight was 2800 lbs) , had totally different suspension, 3.8 liter engine with it's power up from 272 hp to 300+ etc. etc.!!!

And you think if GT3 is be pimped out it should be called Carrera RS?

With all due respect,
Attached Images  
Old 04-07-2006, 12:51 AM
Bob Rouleau

Still plays with cars.
Lifetime Rennlist

Last - It is about 4 seconds a lap. More turns on Le Circuit than Mosport may make the difference? I agree with 3 secs or so at Mosport. The sticky tires do nothing on that long long straight!

Best,
Old 04-07-2006, 03:17 AM
pcar964
Addict
Lifetime Rennlist

Originally Posted by Flying Finn
If it's pimped out, it should be called Carrera RS?!?!?!?!??!?!?!?!?

Last time a Porsche was called Carrera RS, it was a 993 Carrera RS that did not have sunroof even as an option! As a standard (not some stupid "delete option"), it did not have cupholders, it did not have stereo, it did not have a/c, it did not have rear seats, it did not have sound deadening, it did not have real headliner, it did not have airbag, it did not have electric windows, it did not have any means of navigation, it did not have headlight washers, it did not have etc etc. it did have bucket seats, bigger brakes, thinner glass, aluminum decklid, hood & could be ordered with aluminum doors and was about 265 lbs lighter than regular 993 (993 RS's weight was 2800 lbs) , had totally different suspension, 3.8 liter engine with it's power up from 272 hp to 300+ etc. etc.!!!

And you think if GT3 is be pimped out it should be called Carrera RS?

With all due respect,
He must think RS stands for "really soft"

Quick Reply: 997 GT3 - US version