Sponsored by: Porsche North Houston

997 GT3 RS compilation thread

Search this Thread

Old 02-17-2006, 12:47 AM
2002M3Drew
Burning Brakes

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by lowside67
I'm curious where these specs came from... I find it highly suspect they'd offer PASM and TC on the same car.
Why would that be odd? PASM (Porsche Active Suspension Management) is an active suspension system, whereas TC (traction control) is intended to control wheelspin. Are you confusing with PSM (Porsche Stability Management)?
Old 02-17-2006, 03:16 PM
Jerseybean
GT3 Track Junkie
Rennlist Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by MJSpeed
My dealer asks for deposits on the RS...which means absolutely nothing as far as I'm concerned...

Jerseybean,

I'm in between those two colours myself, if in fact those are the choices!

All,

Can anyone photoshop that black wide body (persumably the RS) in Gulf Blue and one in Signal Orange with black wheels??
Here's a link to the 997 in gulf blue... with RS striping it might look great.
http://img203.imageshack.us/img203/407/picture120it.png
Old 02-17-2006, 03:47 PM
NJ-GT
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 9 Likes on 7 Posts

If I order a 997 GT3 RS I won't order Gulf Blue because you already did.

I will order mine Mexico Blue. I'm just waiting for the specs.

If the car is not what I expect it to be, then I will wait a few months until the European 996 GT3 RS takes a second hit, and get a LHD White/Riviera Blue over here.

p.s. that 997 picture is Mexico Blue. Do a search on Gulf Blue.
Old 02-17-2006, 06:21 PM
BobbyC
Rennlist Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Here's what I learned today...

Yes, there are ~ 50 997GT3RS coming to the U.S...but they are RACE versions...produced by the Motorsports division...and they are not street legal.

No word yet on whether a street legal RS is coming out.

Source: PCNA briefing U.S. dealers at a boondoggle in Florida this past weekend.
Old 02-17-2006, 07:14 PM
Jerseybean
GT3 Track Junkie
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by NJ-GT
If I order a 997 GT3 RS I won't order Gulf Blue because you already did.

I will order mine Mexico Blue. I'm just waiting for the specs.

If the car is not what I expect it to be, then I will wait a few months until the European 996 GT3 RS takes a second hit, and get a LHD White/Riviera Blue over here.

p.s. that 997 picture is Mexico Blue. Do a search on Gulf Blue.
I'm color blind...

We have too many seal gray GT3s running in the NNJR region, I think we all need to compare notes before buying anything, there's a lot of confusion of who owns what car when we're at the track... I'm forever jumping into the slow number 69 car.
Old 02-17-2006, 07:46 PM
healeyg
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by BobbyC
Here's what I learned today...

Yes, there are ~ 50 997GT3RS coming to the U.S...but they are RACE versions...produced by the Motorsports division...and they are not street legal.

No word yet on whether a street legal RS is coming out.

Source: PCNA briefing U.S. dealers at a boondoggle in Florida this past weekend.
thats the 997 GT3 RSR and it won't be out until 2007 for the ALMS. The RS is the homologated street car for the race RSR (next level above a cup car).
Old 02-17-2006, 07:51 PM
healeyg
Instructor

Originally Posted by NJ-GT
That's kind of weird.

The 997TT PCCB will be using the 380mm/350mm combo (also used on the 997 GT3 Cup in the Porsche SuperCup).

However, on the 997 GT3 pictures with the yellow calipers, the rotors don't look big enough to be 380mm, they look like 350mm units. They don't mention the PCCB sizes on the comfort GT3 brochure.
the RS looks like the 380/350 combo. The GT3 looks like the 350/330 (current size) combo. Also, the GT3 front brakes look to be mounted like the 996RS, slightly below mid-point of the wheel
Old 02-18-2006, 02:01 AM
MJSpeed
The Rebel
Lifetime Rennlist

Received 40 Likes on 26 Posts

healey beat me to it, I confirmed that there will be 50 RSR's coming! Having nothing to do with the RS.
Old 02-18-2006, 09:30 AM
healeyg
Instructor

its actually an interesting development, because if the street RS comes to the US, then the RSR would be certified (i beleive) for racing in series such as the Speed Challange here in the US. i'm not positive, but there probably were not that many 996 RSRs that came to the US (less than 50 US 996RSRs)

thats cool. more porsche victories at the track. more reason for real RSs for the street.
Old 02-18-2006, 09:46 AM
Jerseybean
GT3 Track Junkie
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by 997TTS
These are the Spec for the 997GT3RS

3.600 cc
415 HP (same engine as GT3)
Wide Body
PASM (Yes it will have PASM)
TC
Aerokit different from GT3
Lighter than GT3 (How much? Don't know yet)
Did you get a launch date from your source?
Old 02-18-2006, 11:52 AM
pedsurg
Three Wheelin'

BobbyC: Could you elaborate on boondoggle? Sounds like a story.
Thanks
Jack
Old 02-18-2006, 12:12 PM
Nordschleife
Drifting

Originally Posted by MJSpeed
healey beat me to it, I confirmed that there will be 50 RSR's coming! Having nothing to do with the RS.
50 RSRs?????? why so many?

What race series would they run in and why?

Speed Challenge is a synthetic series that the Cup cars cover perfectly adequately and most cost effectively.
The RSR has been avaiable for Grand Am for some years without swamping the series with entries, the modified Cup car offers a much better ROI.
The RSR runs in ALMS, why would there be an order of magnitude increase in the number of entrants?
Club racing, not a good idea, too expensive to run for most guys.

The 997 GT3 Cup is perfect for most pro-am and club racing applications, its faster than Ferrari Challenge, it can run sprints and endurance races. The RSR is not a mass market car. Is there a new series that will take 50 cars; thats $12.5 M of cars before you factor in all the other costs?

R+C
Old 02-18-2006, 01:15 PM
enthusiast
Rennlist Member

Received 34 Likes on 27 Posts

I'm with you Nordschleife, why would Porsche even suggest a production number of race cars to normal dealers. They know the customers and series that a 997 GT3 RSR is good for so why mention a production number. With some spare unit bodies thrown in, 50 total for the America's is a lot for one year.
Old 02-18-2006, 01:23 PM
BobbyC
Rennlist Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by pedsurg
BobbyC: Could you elaborate on boondoggle? Sounds like a story.
Thanks
Jack
...a dealers conference, etc, etc...
Old 02-18-2006, 03:04 PM
healeyg
Instructor

Originally Posted by Nordschleife
50 RSRs?????? why so many?

What race series would they run in and why?

Speed Challenge is a synthetic series that the Cup cars cover perfectly adequately and most cost effectively.
The RSR has been avaiable for Grand Am for some years without swamping the series with entries, the modified Cup car offers a much better ROI.
The RSR runs in ALMS, why would there be an order of magnitude increase in the number of entrants?
Club racing, not a good idea, too expensive to run for most guys.

The 997 GT3 Cup is perfect for most pro-am and club racing applications, its faster than Ferrari Challenge, it can run sprints and endurance races. The RSR is not a mass market car. Is there a new series that will take 50 cars; thats $12.5 M of cars before you factor in all the other costs?

R+C
that's actually $25M of cars (they are $480k each), BUT maybe they will lower the price if they make / import more of them ?!? (the 997 cup car is $140k now w/steel brakes)

Porsche got slapped around in the Speed GT this year by GM. If you watched the final race, Porsche was set to win the mfg title, and the GM boys (corvettes + caddies) basically crashed out Wolf Henzler to get Caddilac the championship. With an RSR they would be more likely to win no matter what (they already use the RSR motor in the cup car for the Speed GT races)

BTW, Grand am runs modified street 997s (Grand Am Cup) and cup cars (Rolex), not RSRs

Quick Reply: 997 GT3 RS compilation thread