Sponsored by: Porsche North Houston

997 GT3 official specs

Search this Thread

Old 02-12-2006, 03:34 AM
Ray G
Pro

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

Originally Posted by NJ-GT
- A variable steering ratio is garbage. Race cars don't use something like that for a reason.

- 19" wheels? what kind of track tires is this car going to use?
The variable ratio steering of the 997S is subtle and feels wonderful on the track. For all I know, the 997 Cup cars have it too.

Don't fear 19" wheels on the 997. The new car was designed for it. The 19" on the 997 is like the 18" standard on the 996. I'm sure tire makers are busy responding.

- Why is Porsche fitting the car with a 5mm spacer instead of making the rear wheel on the right offset?
Good question. That sounds odd. I guess Porsche didn't want to build 2 different size wheels, so they can share it with some other models.

- PASM? is this used on the Cup cars?
I find PASM on the GT3 disturbing too. It's okay for street driving, but not very good on the track. If it precludes other suspension options, and doesn't have threaded spring perches, then I would rather not have it. The good news is that some people have disabled PASM on their 997S's by using the H&R kit; so a similar option may be possible on the GT3.
Old 02-12-2006, 08:02 AM
Mr. C4
Drifting

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Mk.1 GT3 had 5mm spacers at all corners as well, factory fitted. Reason was not that they didn't want to make 2 diffeent wheel sizes, since Mk.1 GT3 widths and offsets were unique for the GT3 in comparison to the Carrera.

Any drivers aid in a GT3 is in my opinion.

Ciao,
Old 02-12-2006, 10:42 AM
healeyg
Instructor

guys - PASM is not a "drivers aid". It is simply computer controlled rebound and dampening in the shock valving - that it! Just like motons, etc., it is of course compatible with adjustable ride height (yes threaded spring perches) and sway bars. the only diff is you can switch the valving program from the cockpit

if you remember walter rohl was raving about this because on track you can definitely stiffen things up. it takes the stock handling a notch higher without sacrificing street ride. this is a good thing ...

as far as TC goes, its on the CGT for a reason. and yes you can turn it off ... again, no big deal

and yes, for the non drivers aid purists, the car has ABS, just like MK1, 2, and any other street legal car that will ever be built by porsche (even the 996 cups have it). and no, you can't turn it off (taking the fuse out doesn't work properly either)

come on fellas - if you want a track car, buy a cup car. the GT3 is a track day club car, not a real race car no matter what you do to it. always has - always will be
Old 02-12-2006, 10:56 AM
MJSpeed
The Rebel
Lifetime Rennlist

Received 40 Likes on 26 Posts

PASM on the GT3 is very different then that on the regular 997's!!
Old 02-12-2006, 10:59 AM
leif997
Three Wheelin'

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by healeyg
guys - PASM is not a "drivers aid". It is simply computer controlled rebound and dampening in the shock valving - that it! Just like motons, etc., it is of course compatible with adjustable ride height (yes threaded spring perches) and sway bars. the only diff is you can switch the valving program from the cockpit

if you remember walter rohl was raving about this because on track you can definitely stiffen things up. it takes the stock handling a notch higher without sacrificing street ride. this is a good thing ...

as far as TC goes, its on the CGT for a reason. and yes you can turn it off ... again, no big deal

and yes, for the non drivers aid purists, the car has ABS, just like MK1, 2, and any other street legal car that will ever be built by porsche (even the 996 cups have it). and no, you can't turn it off (taking the fuse out doesn't work properly either)

come on fellas - if you want a track car, buy a cup car. the GT3 is a track day club car, not a real race car no matter what you do to it. always has - always will be
Could not agree more, Healey; thus the reason to satisfy both your road and track desires by having one of each
Old 02-12-2006, 11:09 AM
MrBonus
Three Wheelin'

Received 13 Likes on 5 Posts

I am dearly in love with this car. I am taking donations and tips of any kind as I'm starting a "MrBonus 997 GT3 Fund."
Old 02-12-2006, 12:03 PM
Mr. C4
Drifting

I would have my GT3 without ABS any day, so much for desired drivers aid.

No thanks to TC and PASM as well. Who's doing the driving, you or is the car driving you? Sounds like many here should looking at sport sedans loaded with drivers aid and other useless gizmos, but each to his own.

Ciao,
Old 02-12-2006, 12:42 PM
leif997
Three Wheelin'

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by MrBonus
I am dearly in love with this car. I am taking donations and tips of any kind as I'm starting a "MrBonus 997 GT3 Fund."
I'm in for $0.02
Old 02-12-2006, 01:53 PM
MrBonus
Three Wheelin'

Received 13 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by Mr. C4
I would have my GT3 without ABS any day, so much for desired drivers aid.

No thanks to TC and PASM as well. Who's doing the driving, you or is the car driving you? Sounds like many here should looking at sport sedans loaded with drivers aid and other useless gizmos, but each to his own.

Ciao,
PASM isn't a driver's aid. Traction control can be shut off.

Originally Posted by leif997
I'm in for $0.02
Sweet!
Old 02-12-2006, 01:55 PM
Cupcar
Rennlist Member

Received 95 Likes on 63 Posts

Originally Posted by 997Vancity
that would suck if we couldnt get those seats in NA.

But why not cause there on the carrera GT's right?
This link https://rennlist.com/forums/996-gt2-gt3-forum/253355-could-these-be-the-997gt3-and-rs-seats.html is to a post here regarding patents for seats taken out by Porsche. Note there are two designs, a bucket and a more adjustable sports seat, just as the literature implies. The seats look like the GT3 seats to me. I hope this patent means they come to the USA as either stock or optional on the GT3.
Old 02-12-2006, 02:06 PM
BobbyC
Rennlist Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

What's the MSRP? Anyone know yet?
Old 02-12-2006, 03:26 PM
MJSpeed
The Rebel
Lifetime Rennlist

Received 40 Likes on 26 Posts

$106K in the US.
Old 02-12-2006, 04:09 PM
e6tme
Rennlist Member

Received 9 Likes on 5 Posts

- A variable steering ratio is garbage. Race cars don't use something like that for a reason.
"Not used in race cars..." Do you know that for a fact? Anyway, don't knock it before you try it. It is a great way of maintaining excellent feel on center and turn in while increasing ratio at the locks. Besides, steering feel has alot more to do with suspension geometry and materials/components used in the suspension and steering rack then the ratio.

- 0-99mph in 8.7 secs can't be compared with a 0-100mph on the 996 GT3. I bet the new car is using a shorter R&P and shorter gears. That alone makes a huge difference.
Nice assumption. How would you explain the 193 mph top speed?

- I hope it's just a TC with an on/off switch and not a PSM.
Why would you think it has PSM if it clearly states "Traction Control (TC)" in the brochure?

- PASM? is this used on the Cup cars?
Was the standard suspension on the 996 GT3 used on race cars?
- Only 415Hp? not good. This time the 997 TT will be a faster track car. The 997 GT3 is getting more weight and the 997 TT is losing it. The power difference is 62Hp. Expect the U.S 997 GT3 to come at 3160 lbs with an almost empty gas tank.
The weight is quoted in DIN which includes all fluids and 90% full tank of fuel. 3075lbs is the wet weight.
Old 02-12-2006, 05:18 PM
Ray G
Pro

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

Originally Posted by healeyg

I am aware of that, and I've driven my 997S on the track. IMO PASM is not great. It's a compromise at best; the 'sport' mode is over-damped. I never believe any market message from W. Rohrl, although I respect his driving abilities to the utmost.

Originally Posted by MJSpeed
PASM on the GT3 is very different then that on the regular 997's!!
I hope you are right.

I realize the GT3 is a 'street car', not a dedicated track car, but a track-oriented car should avoid as much extra stuff as possible - that is what makes it fun to drive. I hope Porsche is not caving to the people who complain their GT3's were too harsh for the street.
Old 02-12-2006, 06:51 PM
DanH
Three Wheelin'

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by Ray G
Don't fear 19" wheels on the 997. The new car was designed for it. The 19" on the 997 is like the 18" standard on the 996. I'm sure tire makers are busy responding.
You can get Corsa motorsports in that size. They are disproportionately expensive...

Quick Reply: 997 GT3 official specs