997 GT3 vs. ?

Search this Thread

Old 01-26-2005, 01:30 PM
Viken
Keeper of the Truth
Lifetime Rennlist

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by Holger B
Some of the sequential systems eat up clutches quickly (and I'm told that the replacement costs are higher). Macfly, any idea how long the clutch lasts with the BMW SMG? (My M3 is pre-SMG, which I think may be a good thing since I would have gotten it if it were available then.)
In the case of Ferrari's Selespeed (F1), it is the other way around assuming the clutch measurement parameters are set right and no abuse. IOW, a computer controlled clutch versus one controlled by a human usually last longer. Also, the replacement cost is the same as the manual's since they are physically the same.

If Porsche is working on introducing the DSG, it would be a totally different story based on the fact that DSG is a much more complicated dual-clutch system.
Old 01-26-2005, 04:23 PM
Holger B
Race Car

Received 87 Likes on 34 Posts

Originally Posted by Viken
In the case of Ferrari's Selespeed (F1), it is the other way around assuming the clutch measurement parameters are set right and no abuse. IOW, a computer controlled clutch versus one controlled by a human usually last longer. Also, the replacement cost is the same as the manual's since they are physically the same.
That's what I always assumed too, but I've been told by a few people that that's not the case. By matching revs on the shifts , the wear should be less. Maybe it's the steep SF hills, traffic congestion, etc where the computer doesn't do as good a job at slipping the clutch and it's the starts that are eating up the clutches.

As for the cost, the parts may be the same but I'm told the job is much more complicated and labor intensive due to the hydraulics involved.

Only going by what I've heard from people in a position to know better than I would.

Last edited by Holger B; 01-26-2005 at 05:45 PM.
Old 01-26-2005, 05:11 PM
Mikey
Racer

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

My M3 burnt a clutch in the first 20K miles. At 3000lbs and 360hp the SMG would burn rubber in 1st, 2nd and 3rd gear ... even more acressive than the 360CS. Obviously the SMG computer had no clue what happened to the rest of the car

I can only imagine a 997 cup car with DSG, 400hp and license plates delivered to my door ... No official statement from Porsche, I checked with the dealer again today. Since they have a product anouncment about every 3 months .. right now in the pipeline we have (997TT, updated Cayenne, 997GT3, and the secret sedan)
Old 01-26-2005, 06:22 PM
tdf360
Pro

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by Viken
In the case of Ferrari's Selespeed (F1), it is the other way around assuming the clutch measurement parameters are set right and no abuse. IOW, a computer controlled clutch versus one controlled by a human usually last longer.
Viken, this doesn't appear to be the case in the real world. Most F1 clutches last about half as long as the full manual version.

Gary
Old 01-27-2005, 03:53 PM
Greg A
Rennlist Member

Received 5 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by quartermile
My M3 burnt a clutch in the first 20K miles. At 3000lbs and 360hp the SMG would burn rubber in 1st, 2nd and 3rd gear ...
Was your M3 stock? The stock NA M3 has 333hp. The CSL which is not legal here has 360hp.

Greg A
Old 01-27-2005, 04:40 PM
schvetkaaks
Pro

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Shall I be bold enough to state that fewer than 1% of the owners of these 500hp cars or even 380hp cars that are race-bred like the GT3 will EVER get them anywhere near the level that they are capable of performing? I guess it's great to say you have 500hp, but just like how we humans use less than 30% of our brain capacity at our brightest moments, so very few have the ability to fulfill the potential of these great cars. Look at all the accidents on the CGT's for cripes sake.
Old 01-27-2005, 05:26 PM
Greg A
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by schvetkaaks
Shall I be bold enough to state that fewer than 1% of the owners of these 500hp cars or even 380hp cars that are race-bred like the GT3 will EVER get them anywhere near the level that they are capable of performing? I guess it's great to say you have 500hp, but just like how we humans use less than 30% of our brain capacity at our brightest moments, so very few have the ability to fulfill the potential of these great cars. Look at all the accidents on the CGT's for cripes sake.

When a car--such as the CGT--has been crashed on a public road, there are often mitigating factors other than driver skill/error that contribute to the crash. Since the cause of only one of those CGT accidents is known(the one that was rear ended, and since it is the driver's responsiblity to maintain a safe distance, ostensibly the CGT owner was not at fault in that one), it is difficult to establish any kind of valid basis for a ratio of accidents to potential used.

Besides, I've seen Michael Schumacher crash. What does that say about his driving ability?

Greg A
Old 01-28-2005, 08:13 PM
Mikey
Racer

Originally Posted by Greg A
Was your M3 stock? The stock NA M3 has 333hp. The CSL which is not legal here has 360hp.

Greg A
Not stock. Headers, cat bypass, and pulleys to get to 360hp. You can get another 20hp from cams. The motor is kind of weak overall and had grenade tendancies.
Old 01-28-2005, 08:41 PM
Greg A
Rennlist Member

Michael,

You were a brave man to modify your M3's engine...or is that why you don't own it anymore?

Greg A
Old 01-28-2005, 10:27 PM
Mikey
Racer

Originally Posted by Greg A
Michael,

You were a brave man to modify your M3's engine...or is that why you don't own it anymore?

Greg A
The oil analysis was showing excess wear in the bearings so I turned it back in at the end of the lease to BMW. It cost about $1K to revert it to original brakes, suspension and a really fun project. BMW extended the warranty on the engine to 100K miles, but I wasn't involved in the recall.

Keeping with the original thread I don't think ANYTHING from the M division will compete with the 997GT3. I would take an M5 /M6/650/550 over a 997/997S. I don't think the M97 motor is that much better than a S54.
Old 01-28-2005, 11:11 PM
NJ-GT
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 9 Likes on 7 Posts

Originally Posted by quartermile
Keeping with the original thread I don't think ANYTHING from the M division will compete with the 997GT3. I would take an M5 /M6/650/550 over a 997/997S. I don't think the M97 motor is that much better than a S54.
S54 is a time bomb, the M97 is not any better, I agree. But with so many e-gizmos on today's bimmer, I will take any Porsche over any Bimmer.

iDrive, steering assist, brake assist, etc...

I miss my E36 M3

Quick Reply: 997 GT3 vs. ?