Search this Thread

Old 01-20-2005, 04:26 PM
ben in lj
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by Sean
The devil is in the details!

Meanwhile Porsche is rolling out the "sport chrono," PASM, "carbon-look" and "aluminum-look" cosmetics. PAG has abandoned factory racing, and is selling more SUVs than sports cars, and recently made news by publicly floating the idea of selling a Toyota-powered hybrid. There's a huge disconnect between "the new Porsche" and the way Porsche has done business in the past.
Porsche is striving to be more BMW than Ferrari like with every passing year.
Old 01-20-2005, 04:46 PM
ben in lj
Addict
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by quartermile
Let me first say that I admire the F430 but have not personally assessed its strengths or weaknesses. The statement was quoting another Rennlister that owns a 360CS "the F430 is essentially 360CS mechanicals with 50hp extra power but also 300lbs more weight"

Ben_LJ may be you can chime in on this one
nah, gary and i have debated the 430 vs. CS issue to exhaustion, right gary? :-)
Old 01-21-2005, 11:22 AM
tdf360
Pro

Originally Posted by ben in lj
nah, gary and i have debated the 430 vs. CS issue to exhaustion, right gary? :-)
For sure! Actually, I'd love to own either one, beyond that it's just bench racing. And we do agree the CGT is awesome.

Gary
Old 01-21-2005, 11:31 AM
Sun Ra
Drifting

Received 56 Likes on 23 Posts

ben,

did you move your CS yet?
Old 01-21-2005, 11:43 AM
The_Phantom
Three Wheelin'

Originally Posted by Z06
If they come out with a 997 GT3 who are they going to compete with.....or compare it to....now that the Lambo, Ford GT, Z06 and the Ferrari are making at least a 100 HP more.....

I would guess one of the problems of having the engine behind the rear wheels is not being able to go very big in displacement....

What do you think Porsche can or will do to step up to the new high HP competion?

Yeah, but it is not as big of a deal as one might expect. Since 911s are rear engine rear wheel drive cars, they have much lower drivetrain losses than cars like the Corvette you mentioned. That's why in the two recent articles in Car & Driver and Road & Track which comparing the 997s to the new Corvettes, the 325 HP 997 was a little slower than the 400 HP Corvette and the 345 HP 997s was a little faster than the 400 HP Corvette. I realize that the Ford GT and Ferrari are also rear engine cars, but they are very rare and really there is no shame in being just almost as fast as a more expensive Ferrari (which is priced like the 2005 996 Turbo S which has 450 HP and is as fast as a comparably priced Ferrari). That being said, Porsche hasn't really significantly upgraded their engines for a while and when they do they will be probably be more than just competitive as they are now. What do you guys think?
Old 01-21-2005, 04:06 PM
ben in lj
Addict
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by watt
ben,

did you move your CS yet?
hey watt. other than those two posts on ferrari chat, i've done nothing to advertise it cause i still hate to see it go even though i never drive it.
Old 01-22-2005, 05:59 AM
jecey
Advanced

Well, 997GT3 vs the F430 ...
first, the F430 is 0,5 sec. slower than the F360 CS on the Ferrari test track.
Second, to compete with the F430, the GT3 should have all the tech. features tht the Ferrari has :
- Electronic differential
- Sequential gearbox
- Electronicly piloted suspension
- and to cover all, a kind of "manettino" (can't translate into german)
Why ? Cause, the F430 could be driven so fast by my little 8 years old nephew.
Not the GT3 !!!
The GT3 is not an easy car, and won't permit any mistakes.
Honestly, with the way I am driving a car on the public roads, I really need electronic assistance.
Remembre my accident, which was (proved) due to dirty road. With an ESP or similar, the accident would not happen.
We deliver now some parts for the coming GT3, based on the 997 platform. These parts are used for proto vehicles of course. And according to the chassis engineers, the engine will slighly have the same output. And the weight too ...
And bad news for some : no GT2 yet in prototypes. Only turbo's.
Old 01-22-2005, 08:57 PM
Yargk
Rennlist Member

Received 226 Likes on 147 Posts

The GT3 doesn't need an electronically controlled suspension to compete with the F430. Stuff like that seems to be able to balance comfort and performance, while a real race type suspension does the performance part better with some sacrifice in ride. That's what I want and that's what the essence of the GT3 is. No technology should be used unless that tech shows up in the race cars because if it's in the race cars, it's for performance.
Old 01-22-2005, 09:09 PM
Yargk
Rennlist Member

Received 226 Likes on 147 Posts

Originally Posted by jecey
Not the GT3 !!!
I don't think anyone is making this comparision. We are talking experienced driver vs. experienced driver. An easy to drive GT3 is the last thing we want. We could buy a Turbo if we wanted an easy to drive fast car.
Old 01-22-2005, 09:14 PM
ben in lj
Addict
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by jecey
Well, 997GT3 vs the F430 ...
first, the F430 is 0,5 sec. slower than the F360 CS on the Ferrari test track.
Second, to compete with the F430, the GT3 should have all the tech. features tht the Ferrari has :
- Electronic differential
- Sequential gearbox
- Electronicly piloted suspension
- and to cover all, a kind of "manettino" (can't translate into german)
Not the GT3 !!!
Honestly, with the way I am driving a car on the public roads, I really need electronic assistance.
Remembre my accident, which was (proved) due to dirty road. With an ESP or similar, the accident would not happen.
We deliver now some parts for the coming GT3, based on the 997 platform. These parts are used for proto vehicles of course. And according to the chassis engineers, the engine will slighly have the same output. And the weight too ...
And bad news for some : no GT2 yet in prototypes. Only turbo's.
actually the 430 is .75 slower, but the CS rides on corsas whereas the 430 does not.
Old 01-22-2005, 09:55 PM
tdf360
Pro

actually the 430 is .75 slower, but the CS rides on corsas whereas the 430 does not.
Thank you Ben! You da man!

Gary
Old 01-22-2005, 10:33 PM
ben in lj
Addict
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by tdf360
Thank you Ben! You da man!

Gary
No problem Gary :-) You've been right all along to point out the tire differential, I've just not been real sure about exactly how much of a diff it makes for sure. I'd definetely think the tires would make up the .75 diff and then some though which still means the CS isn't being nearly as obsoleted performance wise by the 430 as the 360 is. There is quite a bit of CS technology (and interior and exterior features) on the 430.
Old 01-23-2005, 10:13 AM
RSA333
Racer

I have driven the new vette and the new Porsche Turbo prototype (not the GT3), side-by-side. In Germany, at one of the as yet un-named tracks. I do not believe that performance and weight numbers tell the story. The vette was much lighter but could not compete with the turbo, even on a very twisty track, with long straights. I can't say more now because I subcontract with Porsche. I also beleive that the new GT3 will be faster. But I am biased...

------------------

2002 996TTX50
92 RSA
93 911 Turbo S2
80 SC
Old 01-23-2005, 10:39 AM
Greg Fishman
Addict
Lifetime Rennlist

Received 33 Likes on 24 Posts

Originally Posted by Fishman
Yeah, but it is not as big of a deal as one might expect. Since 911s are rear engine rear wheel drive cars, they have much lower drivetrain losses than cars like the Corvette you mentioned. That's why in the two recent articles in Car & Driver and Road & Track which comparing the 997s to the new Corvettes, the 325 HP 997 was a little slower than the 400 HP Corvette and the 345 HP 997s was a little faster than the 400 HP Corvette. I realize that the Ford GT and Ferrari are also rear engine cars, but they are very rare and really there is no shame in being just almost as fast as a more expensive Ferrari (which is priced like the 2005 996 Turbo S which has 450 HP and is as fast as a comparably priced Ferrari). That being said, Porsche hasn't really significantly upgraded their engines for a while and when they do they will be probably be more than just competitive as they are now. What do you guys think?

Did you ever think it might not have to do with drivetrain loss but gearing differences? Show me proof that rear engine cars have less drivetrain loss, I don't believe it.
Old 01-23-2005, 11:21 AM
tdf360
Pro

No problem Gary :-) You've been right all along to point out the tire differential, I've just not been real sure about exactly how much of a diff it makes for sure.
From talking with several drivers who have done back-to-back tests at the track, it appears R tires are approximately 3 to 4 sec/lap faster than the best street tires on a 90 sec lap, and full race slicks are about 2 to 3 sec faster than the R's. Tests were done on the same day, with the only variable being the tires. I think there was a write-up in one of the smaller enthusiast magazines a while back about it - maybe Grassroots Motorsports.

Gary

Quick Reply: 997 GT3 vs. ?