Sponsored by:

Oil filter differences

Search this Thread

Old 03-28-2017, 05:31 PM
jeffm
Racer

Received 74 Likes on 34 Posts
Default Oil filter differences

So it's been a while since I've done an oil change on a Porsche, but decided to save 80 bucks by doing it myself. When I pulled the oil filter, I noticed it was quite different from the Mann replacement that I ordered.

Upon further research, I believe the one I pulled is a WIX branded and has a plastic end cap on each end. The Mann replacement appears to be molded as one piece.

Can't say I've noticed a difference before. Any reason not to go ahead with the Mann replacement?
Attached Images   
Old 03-28-2017, 06:29 PM
Devil Boy
Racer

Received 12 Likes on 11 Posts

Either one will work. They both install and filter the same.
Old 03-28-2017, 06:30 PM
speedracerf4i
Pro

Received 171 Likes on 104 Posts

I just changed my filter and I use Mahle. It looks more like the Mann filter. I think as long as they are the same length, and the inner diameter, then you should be fine.
Old 03-28-2017, 06:34 PM
extanker
Banned

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

i read somewhere the mann filter is good for 2 more HP .......go with the winner
Old 03-28-2017, 07:02 PM
phaphaphooey
Pro

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Mann and Mahle are OEM. Wix has a lower filtering efficiency but has the advantage of being able to be bought at auto parts stores. The difference is probably academic but I stick with Mahle or Mann due to their better filtering properties.
Old 03-28-2017, 08:22 PM
jeffm
Racer

Yeah...this was the filter the Ford dealer used from whom I bought the car from, so I'm sure they ran over to the Napa next door. Makes me wonder what kind of oil they used, but it's a moot point now.

Stuck in the Mann and it seems just fine. Topped her off with 9qts and brought me to one bar under full...perfect.

Thanks guys
Old 03-29-2017, 01:14 AM
Luxter
Pro

Received 13 Likes on 8 Posts

Originally Posted by jeffm
Any reason not to go ahead with the Mann replacement?
No. No reason. All are just fine:

Old 03-30-2017, 12:20 AM
JPA1
Intermediate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I wanted to try the K&N one... any feedback on this one?
Old 03-30-2017, 02:00 AM
docdrs
Rennlist Member

Received 72 Likes on 48 Posts

Let me see, they all have filter pleats......they look similar........we change them every 3-5k miles....... does it really matter?????????

NOOOOOO imo........engines have problems from lack of oil and Filter changes , we are so **** that we like our babies to only run on pure unadulterated virgin synthetic creme of the creme oil........... it gets filtered , what more do you want?
Old 03-30-2017, 09:37 AM
jeffm
Racer

Does it matter??.....yes, in my case it did.

I was surprised at the physical difference of the two filters, more specifically the ends which had a raised lip in comparison to the flat end of the Mann. My concern was this could perhaps interfere with the contact surface when inserted.
As the Ford dealer performed an oil service prior to my purchase, it was highly possible they could have used the wrong part were my thoughts.

As for filter elements, yes I agree. I don't see much benefit of one over the other brands. The exception would be the spin on filters, but that's a different story.
Old 03-31-2017, 11:45 AM
Petza914
RL Community Team
Rennlist Member

Received 6,159 Likes on 3,925 Posts

Here it comes - get ready for it...unless you have a 997.2 with the DFI motor, you should be using a metal spin on filter with the LN Engineering adapter. (This isn't available for the DFI motors, thus the disclaimer.)

The stock filter setup has a bypass valve and relies on that spring you had to put back into filter canister with the new filter during the oil change. As that spring ages and relaxes, some of the oil going back into your engine is actually going around the filter media. If you use a new spring every time, or every other time, then you're OK, otherwise you may not be filtering all the oil that's being pumped back through the motor.

Yes, some of the metal filters have bypass valves built into them too, the difference is that they're brand new at each oil change so the spring rates haven't deteriorated and you'd have to have a major engine failure to clog up enough filtering capacity to where the bypass valve would come into play - at that point, it doesn't much matter anyway.

Quick Reply: Oil filter differences