Smoothest Street Coilovers

Search this Thread

Old 03-27-2017, 02:48 PM
stoked_on_spool
Intermediate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Smoothest Street Coilovers

Hello Rennlist,

I purchased a 997.1 C2 back in December and it's been a fantastic car. The front left strut on my car is beginning to fail so I've been looking at replacing everything with a coilover system with adjustable height and rebound/compression.

My car is a daily driver so I'm looking to find the smoothest riding coilovers I can for under $4k. I tracked my previous car 2-4x a year for weekend long HPDE's and plan on doing the same thing with this 911. I would like the susp I choose to be as good or better than stock on the street AND track leaning towards a more comfortable daily driver.

Coilovers on my radar are Ohlins R&T, Bilstein PSS9, KW V3, and have read decent things on BC Racing also.

I would love to hear feedback (and I've searched extensively on the topic) before I pull the trigger on my own personal car. I live in San Diego and if anyone has any of the modified suspension packages and is willing to give me a ride to feel them out, I will buy tacos or burritos (maybe even a beer too!)

TLDR: Smooth coilovers for daily driving that won't feel like a boat on the track

-Bret

(Pic of car because everyone loves pictures )
Attached Images  
Old 03-27-2017, 04:53 PM
myw
Nordschleife Master

Received 529 Likes on 315 Posts

if for street, i would strongly consider BC coils.
The following users liked this post:
preelude (02-25-2024)
Old 03-27-2017, 04:53 PM
German888
Racer

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Nice car!

I installed BR Racing coilovers this winter and have zero complaints. Ride quality is great for street use. Nice upgrade over OE non PASM shocks. I have the settings at mid level as far as compression and rebound. Separate pre-load and ride height adjustment is a mandatory feature for me. Overall they are a fantastic set up for under $2K
Old 03-27-2017, 04:55 PM
German888
Racer

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Here is a thread from 6speed online where they are being discussed:
http://www.6speedonline.com/forums/9...coilovers.html
Old 03-27-2017, 06:35 PM
stoked_on_spool
Intermediate

Originally Posted by German888
Nice car!

I installed BR Racing coilovers this winter and have zero complaints. Ride quality is great for street use. Nice upgrade over OE non PASM shocks. I have the settings at mid level as far as compression and rebound. Separate pre-load and ride height adjustment is a mandatory feature for me. Overall they are a fantastic set up for under $2K
Great looking car! The wheels compliment your color and drop perfectly!

This car will be 95% driven on the street, so that's something big I really want to keep in my mind because I went with stiffer springs/shocks when I had my Subaru BRZ and although it was a lot of fun on the track, the other 95% of the time I was driving it was a little too stiff.

As long as the suspension I pick perform as well or better than OEM on the track too, then I'm in. It would really bug me if after a HPDE or two and the shocks need to be rebuilt because they couldn't cope with the track.

Anyone have experience taking these to a track or even AutoX?
Old 03-27-2017, 07:47 PM
Scott997asdf
4th Gear

I had the bilsteins and was very happy with them. Before that I tried H&R springs. The ride was harsher on springs and that prompted me to go to the coil overs.
Old 03-27-2017, 07:54 PM
ALEV8
Three Wheelin'

Received 70 Likes on 48 Posts

Dude save the cash. Bilstein B6, GT3 sways, fresh lower control arms and drop the car 20mm with Eibach springs. If you aren't on the track for money, work, or every other weekend, you can spend a third and have no issues. As your DD, and I'm in the same boat, in a 997 the coilovers will be painful on the street. Don't forget, these cars don't need much help on a track unless you can extract / need the handling and speed. Trust Porsche engineers. Refresh your setup but don't blow 3-4K. Now while you are saving score a set of thrashed coilovers cheaply that can be rebuilt.......smile at your bank account and go drive.
Old 03-28-2017, 12:31 PM
Petza914
RL Community Team
Rennlist Member

Received 6,141 Likes on 3,914 Posts

If you car has PASM, Bilstein B16 Damptronics with the TPC DSC box where you can set them to whatever stiffness you want and the increment at which they tighten up relative to g-forces. If not PASM equipped, then follow the other advice here.
Murphey997 (01-26-2020)
Old 03-28-2017, 12:45 PM
awfilms
Rennlist Member

Received 62 Likes on 30 Posts

Love my BC's -- Best bang for the buck and proven quality!
Old 03-28-2017, 01:37 PM
stoked_on_spool
Intermediate

Originally Posted by ALEV8
Dude save the cash. Bilstein B6, GT3 sways, fresh lower control arms and drop the car 20mm with Eibach springs. If you aren't on the track for money, work, or every other weekend, you can spend a third and have no issues. As your DD, and I'm in the same boat, in a 997 the coilovers will be painful on the street. Don't forget, these cars don't need much help on a track unless you can extract / need the handling and speed. Trust Porsche engineers. Refresh your setup but don't blow 3-4K. Now while you are saving score a set of thrashed coilovers cheaply that can be rebuilt.......smile at your bank account and go drive.
You make some very good points right there. Truth is, I don't see myself in this 997.1 car forever, I ultimately want to end up with a 997.2 (GTS or GT3 preferred) so all of the true performance parts I buy for the car I would love to be able to interchange. Maybe just going with new shocks/lowering springs would be a good call. I don't need all of the additional suspension parts to accommodate the geometry with just lowering springs right?

Originally Posted by Petza914
If you car has PASM, Bilstein B16 Damptronics with the TPC DSC box where you can set them to whatever stiffness you want and the increment at which they tighten up relative to g-forces. If not PASM equipped, then follow the other advice here.
My car does not have PASM.

Originally Posted by awfilms
Love my BC's -- Best bang for the buck and proven quality!
That's what I hear in one ear, and then the other ear is "you get what you pay for". Will BC's provide a better/smoother ride than a bilstein shock with eibach lowering springs?

Thanks for the feedback everyone!
Old 03-28-2017, 03:01 PM
ALEV8
Three Wheelin'

Received 70 Likes on 48 Posts

My entire suspension is going in as above. I want a GTS or Turbo, perhaps the GT3. When you have that car, AND track it, rebuild those coilovers you find, and install them then. Just freshen the 997 and enjoy it, but I don't see the point in coil overs, and I don't see the point in wasting three times the money on them in a street car. I spent less than 1200 for my setup and will install it myself, and new tires with the leftover money.

When you install new shocks and springs and struts you might as well do your control arms in the front, specifically the lower ones - just check it all and be sure you're good. How many miles?
Skube (05-07-2021)
Old 03-29-2017, 02:53 AM
Saaboteur
Burning Brakes

Received 96 Likes on 60 Posts

No personal experience, but before I bought KW V3s for my old S2000, I was seriously considering Fortune Auto coilovers. Their non-PASM 997 application is US$1,800 retail and is hand made in the US.
Old 03-29-2017, 12:54 PM
stoked_on_spool
Intermediate

Originally Posted by ALEV8
When you install new shocks and springs and struts you might as well do your control arms in the front, specifically the lower ones - just check it all and be sure you're good. How many miles?
Thanks for the input. Let me know how you like the ride with your setup when it's installed. Did you get adjustable LCA or freshen up the stock ones? My car is about to roll over 54k miles, I've owned it for nearly 5k miles.

Originally Posted by Saaboteur
No personal experience, but before I bought KW V3s for my old S2000, I was seriously considering Fortune Auto coilovers. Their non-PASM 997 application is US$1,800 retail and is hand made in the US.
I wasn't aware Fortune Auto made coilovers for this platform, I'll get to googling! Thanks.

-Bret
Old 03-29-2017, 05:46 PM
DSC Sport
Basic Sponsor
Rennlist
Site Sponsor

Received 56 Likes on 33 Posts

Originally Posted by stoked_on_spool
My car does not have PASM.
If your car doesn't have PASM, we do offer our Stand Alone kit and controller. Pair this with a set of Bilstein B8s (best option if you're ONLY streeting your car and maximum performance isn't a requirement) or B16s if you're looking to do some track driving.

We had the B8s and DSC on our Spyder before swapping out to our Tractive line and it was among the best riding cars I've ever been in.

The DSC electronics will run you $2,040 and then it's just a matter of what you can pick the Bilsteins up for.

If you want comfort and compliance, active suspension is going to be the way to go.

sales@dscsport.com | (410) 799-7798
Facebook | Instagram | Twitter
Spastblast (01-24-2024)
Old 01-24-2020, 05:41 PM
lowbee
Rennlist Member

Received 355 Likes on 223 Posts

Originally Posted by DSC Sport
.......We had the B8s and DSC on our Spyder before swapping out to our Tractive line and it was among the best riding cars I've ever been in......
B8s are for lowered car so in your example above, can you share which lowering spring you are using in this setup to get the best ride described above ?
Spastblast (01-24-2024)

Quick Reply: Smoothest Street Coilovers