Notices
997 Forum 2005-2012
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

On-board Computer seems to be missing options?

Search this Thread

Old 03-23-2017, 08:08 AM
Frank996

Received 146 Likes on 51 Posts
Default On-board Computer seems to be missing options?

So, just to be 100% clear, I have the Chrono Sport plus pack as the "clock thing" is mounted on the dashboard, the buttons are there - Sport, Sport Plus and PSAM (and they work as they should) so I just don't get it... It's a 997.2

The Chrono option is just nowhere to be found on the onboard dashboard display.

I have the standard settings/Options like:

LIMIT
INFO
OIL
SET

So, nothing on Chrono, Audio or Navi.

I pressed the sport and sport plus buttons but nothing was added in the menu as recommended to do.

Is there something in a setting that needs to be added from the PCM? When I click the SET and then Display I only get the central display option with blank central line OR Left before zero (I guess it means fuel left) - not even radio channel which I believe is basic on all cars?

I must be missing something here... So again, do I do something on the PCM to activate functions to be displayed on the on-board computer display?

The PCM is running on firmware 2.24 I believe as I asked Porsche to update maps and the FW all before they handed over the car to me last Saturday.

Any pointers?
Old 03-23-2017, 10:05 AM
semicycler
Three Wheelin'

Received 42 Likes on 36 Posts

Sounds like the dealership screwed up.

When I was messing around with a buddy's PIWIS on my 997.1, I accidentally disabled Sport Chrono. I could not reenable it because it required a valid online Porsche username & password to get the enable codes specific to my car. So a dealer trip was necessary. Yeah well, not happy of course, but it was self inflicted so I paid for the service. But here's the tricky part - there are two places Sport Chrono needed to be reenabled in PIWIS with the activation code from Porsche. I don't have the specifics but generally one place was in the gateway, the other in the cluster. My techs were clueless at the time and needed me to show them where. I only knew because I tried forever to get it reenabled without the dealer trip.

So, if the 997.2 is anything like the 997.1, I'm betting your dealer missed one of enabling codes in the cluster.
Old 03-23-2017, 11:52 AM
Frank996

Thanks semicycler for your pointers. I need to ask Porsche Geneva what the story is then...

I just need to be 100% sure I'm not missing a setup activation on the PCM and one more question: There was no serial number visible when I checked the FW version... Is this right?
Old 03-24-2017, 07:29 AM
nine87
AutoX

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I just bought my 997.1 in early March. I spotted the same problem (Sport Chrono hardware physically present in car BUT can't operate it from the stalk). During the PPI, my independent workshop assured me it was just a matter of coding the instrument cluster. I bought the car and true to his word, my guy coded the correct options and Sports Chrono was fully functional.
Old 03-24-2017, 09:23 AM
Frank996

Thanks for the confirmation nine87. It seems like consensus is the same across the line so far so I'm banking on this is the "issue".

So, I sent the person I was dealing with (when purchasing the car - Porsche Geneva) and she asked me to bring in the car in tomorrow Saturday and one of the guys would do some activation (should be quick enough and if not they would need to keep the car for a tad longer than first anticipated).

Now, I know this "missing" on-board display function doesn't change the way the car handles/drives, but just for me knowing there is a function that is not activated drive me mad

Anyway, I will report back in due time.
Old 03-24-2017, 09:40 AM
1990nein
Pro

Received 34 Likes on 13 Posts

--

Last edited by 1990nein; 11-01-2020 at 04:25 AM.
Old 03-29-2017, 04:21 AM
Edgy01
Poseur
Rennlist Member

Received 229 Likes on 125 Posts

Check out some of my similar observations when my PCM was changed out awhile back...

https://rennlist.com/forums/997-foru...al-quirks.html
Old 03-29-2017, 08:43 AM
Frank996

Thanks Edgy01

UPDATE: Took the car to the Porsche Center in Geneva and one of the after sales guys took the car to the garage to have a closer look, as the options where incorrectly missing.

He initially said it would take 10 min but it dragged out and lasted closer to 45 min. This was a good sign I thought, him spending so much time fixing it. He came back and said he just could not get the functions added even though they should have been there. I was advised to book a time with the service department either in Geneva (or Porsche Center Bern - PCB - which is a tad closer to where I live).

I was then contacted by the person who sold me the car and was told that she had been in contact with PCB and arranged to have a scheduled check and fix on this coming Saturday. Most of all, she was most confident that it would be fixed there and then.

So let's see what happens on Saturday (it being Aprils fools day and all), as it seems like PCB know exactly what to do which I hope they do.

I will update as we move along...
Old 04-04-2017, 09:52 AM
Frank996

So got the car back from Porsche and this time in Bern who fixed the problem.

I now have the Chrono option as well as Audio in the listing but did not test navigation and/or phone...
Old 04-05-2017, 08:43 AM
nine87
AutoX

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Frank996, is your head unit a PCM 2.1? I don't have an option called "AUDIO" when i use the control stalk. What functionality does "AUDIO" allow you to access?
Old 05-10-2017, 07:48 AM
Frank996

Originally Posted by nine87
Frank996, is your head unit a PCM 2.1? I don't have an option called "AUDIO" when i use the control stalk. What functionality does "AUDIO" allow you to access?
Hi nine87,

No it's the PCM 3.0 unit with touch screen.
Old 05-10-2017, 08:04 AM
Mike5070
Instructor

Received 13 Likes on 8 Posts

Hi Frank, same happened to me after updating the PCM. You'll have to bring it back to the dealer for them to enable the options (codes). Mine works as it should now.

Regards, Mike
Old 05-10-2017, 08:13 AM
Frank996

I got the car back from Porsche Berne as stated earlier and still I do not have navigation and/or Telephone options in the On board Computer when using the control stalk no matter what I try...

Now, can someone please confirm that I in fact should have these options through the On Board Computer as follows?

1) I have full navigation with the newest firmware and maps available as well as pre programmed destinations. Works as expected on the PCM 3.0 installed

2) I have my iPhone 6 connected through BT and always works without faults and it shows up on the PCM 3.0 as expected.

According to the manual, the options above should show up on the On-Bord computer when running through the options available but they don't. Only Audio and Chrono were added after the last check with Porsche as these were the things I told them specifically about...

While on the subject, is there a way for me to find out if the car has the PTM option installed (The Tire Pressure check through the On board Computer as well) as I just plainly don't know. Is there a specific option code to look for in the service book if its installed or not?

Basically, I will not really know what is missing or not and it irritates me immensely.

The car is an early 2009 997.2 C4S sold in Italy, with full PCM 3.0 and PDK if it makes any difference...

Any pointers (and maybe even with photos) are highly appreciated.

EDIT: Just saw your reply Mike5070 Do you have the Navigation and Phone option on the On Board Computer then? And PTPM?
Old 05-10-2017, 12:03 PM
DB's997
Racer

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I have basically the same problem. My car came from factory with Blue Tooth phone option and the center console Aux, iPod and usb interface, plus the PCM based navigation.
None of these worked when I purchased the car. Under warranty, Porsche says I need a new PCM to get this stuff working. $3000 PMC replacement from a $3000 warranty! I am waiting for Fidelity to approve it....
Old 05-10-2017, 01:01 PM
Mike5070
Instructor

Received 13 Likes on 8 Posts

Hi Frank, yes I do have those options. Nav, tpm, SC, phone, audio etc. It also happened to me when the dealer updated the PCM and Nav maps.

Mike

Quick Reply: On-board Computer seems to be missing options?