Sponsored by:

997.2 brake options/suggestions

Search this Thread

Old 03-20-2019, 01:07 PM
Targat2017
Racer

Received 11 Likes on 11 Posts
Lightbulb 997.2 brake options/suggestions

Need some guidance on this to get it correct...
Front brake light/wear warning on my 911S MT at 61k miles *not a track 911S but mostly spirited driven
Original brks, replace both Fr and Rr now or wait?

Replace with Brembo OEM or ATE or Sebro or Zimmerman /many options
1. same brand pads or a better choice; 'mix' w/ different brand discs? :
2. a must- wear sensors 2x
3. a must- caliper bolts x4
4. also- hardware "kit'
5. ??
A source offering a complete kit/assembly to keep it simple?

PM or dha5 at hotmail
Thx
David -Jersey shore
'11 911S
Blk/blk
Old 03-20-2019, 01:29 PM
HenryPcar
Three Wheelin'

Received 233 Likes on 168 Posts

Don't skim on brakes when it comes to pricing the parts. 2 things you will notice on Porsche stock rotors :
The drilled holes are not drilled-through on the ones at the outer circumference. They are just indented holes that will tell you when the rotors are worn down.
Also they are balanced. Examine the stock rotors, they have slot cuts between the center cooling vanes. Other than Zimmerman and Porsche OEM rotors, no after-market rotors have that. I don't use brake wear sensors. I disabled the sensors by shorting the leads and zip tie so that it won't trigger any brake warning lights. To me, just eyeballing the thickness of the pad is just as good if not more trouble-free.
There are pros and cons of drilled vs slotted rotors which is another topic. I like slotted rotors, but the choice are limited and pricey.
Old 03-20-2019, 01:34 PM
bje22201
Intermediate

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I got a kit from EuropaParts (not sure how far that is from you, but they're also in NJ, and you'd save on shipping if you can pick them up. . . because brakes weigh a ton).

Sebro cross-drilled front and rear, and think I went with textar pads.

You can adjust the content of the kit to meet your needs/wants. . . just get 1 front and 1 rear hardware kit even though the build on their page says 2x's each. . . each kit has what you need for both sides. Also, if you're running wheel spacers, the screws that come with it will be too short.

I like them so far (but I'm no expert). .
Old 03-20-2019, 02:25 PM
Iceter
Drifting

Received 412 Likes on 243 Posts

Are you unhappy with your stock brakes? 911 brakes (even more so on an S) are very good--more than you need for street driving.

You got 61k out of them, which is pretty good. My car is a daily driver and I'm about at the end of my second set of stock brakes at 79k miles.

As for what you need, I would definitelly do all four corners if my rears were even close to done. It's just one of those things that is a lot more convenient to do if you're already doing the fronts. This is assuming you are doing the work yourself.

I replaced my sensors while I was doing the job They're the cheapest part of the job and the wires get brittle over time.
Old 03-20-2019, 02:42 PM
ogun228
Rennlist Member

Received 18 Likes on 17 Posts

"Are you unhappy with your stock brakes? 911 brakes (even more so on an S) are very good--more than you need for street driving.

You got 61k out of them, which is pretty good. My car is a daily driver and I'm about at the end of my second set of stock brakes at 79k miles. "

+1000.
Old 03-21-2019, 01:12 AM
Targat2017
Racer

Great stuff Rennlisters ! Wear on this 911S is more than fair @ 61k mis- it was an Arizona/Tucson 911 w/ trips to California so the brakes were spared.

I get the picture and serious research is being done w/Rennlist & Porsche advisors at two dealers. Once the Brake Warning is on its approx. 1000 miles to get
the job done, won't wait. Got part estimates from 2 dealers with needed parts It makes sense to do Fr and Rs, may do it.

OEM seems to be the way to go for a few more $$, oh well its a Porsche after all. Sourcing OEM is an attainable challenge, will do the legwork.
Europa Parts is 30 miles away in central NJ, a good option (no UPS/ *one disk is 30 lbs!)

Can 991 brakes (calipers/disks, etc) work for a serious 'upgrade' w/ 19'' wheels -any thoughts?

thanks for the input
DavidA
'11 911S MT
Blk/blk
Old 03-21-2019, 01:42 PM
Iceter
Drifting

Received 412 Likes on 243 Posts

I got my OEM brake parts from Suncoast. Even with shipping, they were cheaper than my local dealer. But again, I did the job myself. If you're having your dealer do the work, they won't like you bringing parts to them. I would, however, price shop and ask your dealer if they can match (or beat) another store's pricing.

Don't forget that many Porsche stores offer a discount for PCA membership, so ask about that, too.
Old 03-21-2019, 04:27 PM
Targat2017
Racer

Thansk for the input...

Local P dealer J Daniels (NNJ) discounts at wholesale or shop prices, its a good discount. But they start higher than other P dealers!
Got a price from a P dealer for the four 4 corners it came to $2100 ...ouch!
(got the part numbers from that estimate)

A Rennlister suggested Euro Parts in CNJ- talked to them this AM.
Good info and prices, may go w/ that set up

Looks like Zimmerman are OEMs or at least the disks to get/
Textar pads have a great rep too

Thanks
David
'11 911S MT
Old 03-21-2019, 07:10 PM
FZP
Instructor

Received 9 Likes on 6 Posts

To put it into perspective, a 997 will stop from 100kmh, 2m further that a 991 GT2RS, the best stopping production car in the world. Or in other words, half a car length.
You've got all the tools you need
Old 03-22-2019, 12:31 AM
Targat2017
Racer

HenryPcar

From the leg work/hours I've done it looks like the Zims are the OEM equivalents w/ Textar pads- its a good set up..
Brembos non-existent or only available in Europe for fronts IMO.

A Rennlister has a 'near new' Big Reds from a MY2019 GTS, its an upgrade but a steep cost too.

later
DavidA
'11 911S MT
Blk/blk

Quick Reply: 997.2 brake options/suggestions