Notices
997 Forum 2005-2012
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

The First 500 Miles in My First 997: 33 Lessons Learned for New Buyers.

Search this Thread

Old 03-26-2017, 11:24 AM
TheBruce
Three Wheelin'

Received 444 Likes on 161 Posts

UPDATE - I just racked up 1k miles in 4wks and the car has been spectacular!! I originally budgeted ~6k miles a year on it...so I might have been a little over enthusiastic the first month. I've been attacking errands with vigor :-)

I had assumed I would have a few repair bills in the first month but its been flawless. There are only two minor things i'm trying to track down:

1. I have a faint whining noise coming from the AC at idle when in eco mode. It have narrowed it to one of three options: a) its normal, b) the AC compressor clutch bearing is going bad, or c) the AC fan motor is going bad. I first thought it was (b) but I only hear the noise in the cabin. I hear nothing coming from the AC compressor in the engine compartment.

If (b) it looks like a DIY fix with a $35 bearing and 30 minutes. If (c) it looks like $200 for a new AC fan and similar time to remove the old fan under the the dash and replace. I am going to have S-Car-Go diagnose when I get my wheel spacers.

2. I had S-Car-Go put new wiper blades on it and they have been chattering. S-Car-Go will diagnose it for me. The detail shop might have put something on the windshield or they might need adjustment.

In 4wks I've now had 3 friends tell me they are getting a 997 after seeing mine. I showed one buddy the car and told him the price, his response: "I want one. Now!".
Old 03-26-2017, 12:18 PM
Darkhorse
Rennlist Member

Received 91 Likes on 42 Posts

Black trim, try Ultima - Tire & Trim Guard Plus. I use a plastic and foam shoe polish applicator (3 pack from Amazon) and foam paint touch-up "brushes" (cheap from Home Depot) to apply it. Buff it off with a microfiber towel. Clean the plastic thoroughly first, then follow the directions.

Last edited by Darkhorse; 03-26-2017 at 01:14 PM.
Old 03-26-2017, 12:28 PM
Darkhorse
Rennlist Member

The Bruce - - By the way, with a jack, a lug wrench, and a Phillips head screw driver, you could install your own spacers and detail your wheels (back and inside) and clean the wheel wells at the same time. I think it's an important part of thoroughly cleaning a Porsche. Installing wheel spacers on a Porsche is easier than changing a tire on a Honda because you don't have to get in and out of your trunk.

Last edited by Darkhorse; 03-26-2017 at 01:12 PM.
Old 03-26-2017, 12:44 PM
Jaskfri
Pro

Received 95 Likes on 72 Posts

I bought a 2006 with 27k miles in September 2015. It now has 42k and I don't drive in winter.I took it out this morning and found 4 errands I HAD to run. :-)
The following users liked this post:
mavfan909 (07-20-2020)
Old 03-26-2017, 04:29 PM
jsalah
Burning Brakes

Received 7 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by Type_LT
Is this a "thing"?
I ask because just last weekend a new turbo-4 mustang tried to chase me down a very twisty mountain road; and I mean they were trying hard. It must have been terrifying in that thing.
Aahahahah... LMAO

Originally Posted by dannysf
Few suggestions for upgrades:

....2. I just picked my car up today after installing Eibach springs. This gives a ride height just slightly lower than an S PASM. It drastically changes the look and I actually think it rides better than my factory springs. If you do just spacers, it won't close the wheel gap. Unfortunately it may even make it more noticeable as you'll have the aggressive offset without the aggressive/sporty ride height.
Agree 100%. I have 7mm/15mm spacers and lowered on Techarts (just more expensive Eibachs, most people will claim, but that's another topic). The point is the combo is an absolutely indispensable mod on a 911 in my opinion for both handling and "stance" (I hate that word because it conjures up a "slammed" image in people's minds, which is certainly NOT what you end up with here...)

Originally Posted by TheBruce
My biggest concern is my driveway clearance.
You might scrape a little more -- I do -- but I try to take it really easy on my driveway and cross the end of it (and other driveways, curb cuts etc.) at a bit of a bias where I can, it cuts down on the scraping. I figure if I scrape up the underside of my front bumper here and there a little, that's OK, not gonna stress about it too much. That's part of its job...
Old 03-26-2017, 05:53 PM
TheBruce
Three Wheelin'

@Darkhorse - I will definitely try to the Ultima Tire & Trim Guard. Another member suggested Gummi Phledge (sp?) but it didnt work for me. On a perfectly black surface it adds shine but I have an oxidation on the window trim.

Re jacking the car myself...would love to but the joys of living in San Francisco are steep driveways and garages full of furniture that don't fit in your house ;-) I think I will be able to use ramps in the driveway for oil changes but cant get jack stands until the garage is cleared out.

Surprisingly I was able to find a wheel cleaning brush that can clean the inner barrel of the 19" sport design wheels. Its just a 45min job...

@Jsalah - thanks for the recommendation on the lowering springs. Im now thinking i hold off on the spacers until I get the Eibach springs. How much was the install for your techarts and how is the ride quality on bumpy roads?
Old 03-26-2017, 05:59 PM
TheBruce
Three Wheelin'

Speaking of wheels, does anyone have any tips on removing tar and old wheel weight adhesive from the inner barrels of the wheels?
Old 03-26-2017, 06:05 PM
Kdog
6th Gear

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 2008 997 Purchase

Had the same buying criteria as THE BRUCE! Owned a 2006 911 S three years ago, regretted selling it every day since. Finally pulled the trigger on a 2008 911 w/ 23K miles. White on black. Std. purchased from Porsche of Huntington NY. Was concerned about the IMS bearings. Purchased a 5 year 60K mileage warranty. Can't wait to pick it up.
Old 03-26-2017, 06:53 PM
Darkhorse
Rennlist Member

TheBruce - Try a good Bug and Tar remover.
Old 03-26-2017, 07:18 PM
TheBruce
Three Wheelin'

congrats kdog! did you buy the warranty from fidelity? i got their prices and they were reasonable. i have been meaning to research it more.
Old 03-26-2017, 10:58 PM
Kdog
6th Gear

Default Fidelity Insurance

Yes I purchased the Fidelity Warranty. $3400.00. 5 years plus 60K miles, Gold Plan. Covers almost everything.Including peace of mind Warranty is transferable which is a huge selling feature.If I use it for anything in 5 years i'm sure i'll get back at 50% of the initial cost. Plus the Porsche dealership is selling / promoting it.Note, their are a lot of scam insurance companies out there.
Old 03-26-2017, 11:24 PM
jsalah
Burning Brakes

Received 7 Likes on 5 Posts

@Jsalah - thanks for the recommendation on the lowering springs. Im now thinking i hold off on the spacers until I get the Eibach springs. How much was the install for your techarts and how is the ride quality on bumpy roads?
You know... I'm honestly not sure because I had my indy do that install along with a bunch of other stuff, including my Fister mufflers and Sharkwerks bypass and some other mods and preventative service. So I had an overall bill and don't recall if it was itemized. I'll try to pull up the file and see if I can get more info. But just the springs shouldn't be too bad.
Old 03-27-2017, 01:27 AM
daddyscar
Rennlist Member

Received 104 Likes on 62 Posts

Congratulations. My first 911 was also a 2006 Carrera which I got from Sonnen, now Porsche of Marin. It had a lot more miles but it had a CPO warranty for the 1.75 years I owned it. Loved it and would be perfectly happy being back in it. I was either in the high 60k mileage or a low 70's when I traded it in for a 2009 cab. Once it was fired up and roaring along, it never felt like a high mileage car.

On a weekday when there is less traffic, preferably before 3pm, try out this drive up in Napa. After getting onto northbound Highway 29, cross at Yountville to the Silverado Trail (where the blue dot is) and head north then take a right up Highway 128 to Highway 121 and back to the Silverado Trail.
Attached Images  
Old 03-27-2017, 10:39 AM
Justin R
Track Day

Speaking of wheels, does anyone have any tips on removing tar and old wheel weight adhesive from the inner barrels of the wheels?
Get some 3M Adhesive remover and order some plastic razor blades on Amazon. Plastic razor blades are a must have for a lot of jobs around the house.
Old 03-28-2017, 02:03 PM
alan111
Instructor

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Great write up. Thanks!

Quick Reply: The First 500 Miles in My First 997: 33 Lessons Learned for New Buyers.