Notices
997 Forum 2005-2012
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Introductions, my 911 dream, and my nightmare!

Search this Thread

Old 03-19-2017, 04:31 PM
Five12Free
Rennlist Member

Received 199 Likes on 120 Posts
Default Introductions, my 911 dream, and my nightmare!

*Update to my story.... Porsche of Austin has reimbursed me for my expenses, and offered an apology. See post #100 for outcome*

Last edited by Five12Free; 03-23-2019 at 09:32 AM. Reason: update
Old 03-19-2017, 04:33 PM
Five12Free
Rennlist Member

And some pics

Old 03-19-2017, 04:43 PM
gotgolf52
Burning Brakes

Received 58 Likes on 36 Posts

I am glad the car is sorted at this time, it look gorgeous. Enjoy in good health, I hope the stealership help you with some expenses, highly unlikely though.
Old 03-19-2017, 04:52 PM
Racetwin2
Three Wheelin'

Received 47 Likes on 33 Posts

Sorry for your bad experience. You kind of list what you should have done ideally. But it's easy to miss things in the heat of the moment.

It's not easy to detect everything even with a proper PPI.

The car looks great. You will enjoy it. And it will hold the value I'm sure. 997:s have stabilised and even started to increase if that is any comfort. I bought mine 3 years ago and can get the same today as when I bought it.

You will enjoy many nice miles I'm sure. Now it's time to start thinking about next mods
Old 03-19-2017, 04:56 PM
jsalah
Burning Brakes

Received 7 Likes on 5 Posts

This is a great post. You recognize you made several rookie mistakes (and boy, did ya!), but it's also a great cautionary tale not to trust blindly. I am surprised and saddened to hear about the treatment you got at Porsche Austin (I have zero affiliation with those guys, but Austin is my hometown and that is not a good thing to have happen there). They absolutely should help you, but they are unlikely to without more pressure if they haven't done anything yet. I don't think they can put this all on the owner of the vehicle -- they sold it, and they represented some things to you it sounds like that were clearly not true. You should consider writing a letter to Porsche -- I've head they DO take them seriously. But your contributing errors likely means you won't recover all your expense, unfortunately, but I am of the opinion you should get something... At the end of the day, the good news is you have a fixed car now that you are enjoying, but it's unfortunate you had to take that path to get to it.

Enjoy your car!
Old 03-19-2017, 04:58 PM
GTS Sully
Pro

Received 151 Likes on 87 Posts

That entire ordeal is just horrible. Glad you've weathered the storm! On the bright side, that is one heck of a good looking car.
Old 03-19-2017, 05:08 PM
Hella-Buggin'
Rennlist Member

Received 323 Likes on 179 Posts

That sucks. Hopefully you can put the extra expense behind you and chalk it up to an expensive lesson and enjoy the car for many years.
Old 03-19-2017, 05:22 PM
porscheralph
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 39 Likes on 14 Posts

Bummer of an experience - but I would contact Porsche of North America corporate office and talk to the Regional Rep. Since this car was sold at an authorized Porsche dealer the Regional Rep should be able to help. May not get all your $$$ taken care of but it should get the Porsche of Austin management motivated. Good luck and keep us posted.
Old 03-19-2017, 05:27 PM
Five12Free
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by jsalah
This is a great post. You recognize you made several rookie mistakes (and boy, did ya!), but it's also a great cautionary tale not to trust blindly. I am surprised and saddened to hear about the treatment you got at Porsche Austin (I have zero affiliation with those guys, but Austin is my hometown and that is not a good thing to have happen there). They absolutely should help you, but they are unlikely to without more pressure if they haven't done anything yet. I don't think they can put this all on the owner of the vehicle -- they sold it, and they represented some things to you it sounds like that were clearly not true. You should consider writing a letter to Porsche -- I've head they DO take them seriously. But your contributing errors likely means you won't recover all your expense, unfortunately, but I am of the opinion you should get something... At the end of the day, the good news is you have a fixed car now that you are enjoying, but it's unfortunate you had to take that path to get to it.

Enjoy your car!
For sure. Only a fool follows blindly, and I did. I probably will write a letter to Porsche NA. I mean the car literally made it 330 miles before it needed $8200 in repairs.
Old 03-19-2017, 05:29 PM
masti99
Burning Brakes

Received 106 Likes on 87 Posts

Wow, sucks the trip road trip was ruined and had to deal with the extra expenses. Hope it is smooth travels moving forward, enjoy in good health!
Old 03-19-2017, 05:34 PM
Five12Free
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by porscheralph
Bummer of an experience - but I would contact Porsche of North America corporate office and talk to the Regional Rep. Since this car was sold at an authorized Porsche dealer the Regional Rep should be able to help. May not get all your $$$ taken care of but it should get the Porsche of Austin management motivated. Good luck and keep us posted.
Hind sight being 20-20, I realized after my purchase that Porsche of Austin had some previously bad reviews I should've looked into as well. Thanks for the advice though!
Old 03-19-2017, 05:50 PM
user 72902
Banned

Received 21 Likes on 17 Posts

Don't be too hard on yourself. A 2007 is in that time frame where owners dump them before needing maintenance and I would have budgeted 5 to 7k. By the time you replace the battery, tires, brakes, clutch, and do a major service its easy to spend what you did. The good news is a clutch is regular maintenance and your car should be in great shape.
Old 03-19-2017, 05:54 PM
jhbrennan
Rennlist Member

Received 81 Likes on 73 Posts

Originally Posted by Five12Free
Hind sight being 20-20, I realized after my purchase that Porsche of Austin had some previously bad reviews I should've looked into as well. Thanks for the advice though!
Sorry to hear of all this - what a nightmare. The Austin dealership changed ownership last year and the new guys are much better than the old regime...I'd hate to think what the response would have been with the old guys. The new guys have been very responsive to my requests and they are very cognizant of the importance of PCNA surveys so I'd hope they step up for you. Good luck.
Old 03-19-2017, 06:14 PM
Five12Free
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by jhbrennan
Sorry to hear of all this - what a nightmare. The Austin dealership changed ownership last year and the new guys are much better than the old regime...I'd hate to think what the response would have been with the old guys. The new guys have been very responsive to my requests and they are very cognizant of the importance of PCNA surveys so I'd hope they step up for you. Good luck.
I wish, but I'm not optimistic. I literally had to leave a message for the manager that said 'at least just write me back' because I couldn't get a response from them. Communication has been horrible with them.
Old 03-19-2017, 06:29 PM
jdgamble
Racer

Received 35 Likes on 15 Posts

Did you contact Porsche customer service? I had a couple dealership issues and called them and the dealership became very helpful... they even paid for delinquent maintenance on a car I purchased. You should call the 800# and tell them your story. I think they should cover the cost of the falied items. They clearly sold you a car that was not roadworthy.

Quick Reply: Introductions, my 911 dream, and my nightmare!