Notices
997 Forum 2005-2012
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

What stops you all from upgrading to the 991 and beyond?

Search this Thread

Old 02-26-2017, 09:42 AM
mike.baa
Racer

Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts

Originally Posted by jennifer911
O P become a Buddhist. Buddhism teaches you to be satisfied with what you have. Porsche is the anti-Buddha, trying to tempt you with shiny new expensive objects.
haha, so true.
Old 02-26-2017, 09:44 AM
platinum997
Rennlist Member

Received 263 Likes on 131 Posts

Originally Posted by SnP
Platinum997, don't bite the hand that feeds you.
Good point... I'll just reap the benefits.
Old 02-26-2017, 10:38 AM
SpeedyD
Burning Brakes

Received 165 Likes on 112 Posts

Originally Posted by vern1
So true. In a blind driving test I bet 95% of people couldn't tell the difference between the 2 (except the faster 991 would probably give it away) regardless of how they claim that they absolutely 100% could tell the diff between the hydraulic and electric steering

If you want analogue, raw and visceral (whatever that means) then buy an dirt bike. But that's not a 997
Blind driving test huh?

And yes, anyone with a good feel for the road and their car can tell the difference between hydraulic steering and electric. If you think otherwise maybe you don't need a porsche -- I mean, can you really tell the difference between your 911 and a Camry? They both get you from A to B, right?

I can tell the difference between a tube amplifier and a solid state, or a digital reproduction and the real thing. I am sure many people could not. Doesn't mean there isn't a difference.

For those who think this topic has been beaten to death, why post multiple times in this thread? Easy enough to ignore. Kinda like how easy it is for me to ignore the shiny new 991s since they are so unappealing to me :-)
Old 02-26-2017, 10:46 AM
SpeedyD
Burning Brakes

Received 165 Likes on 112 Posts

Originally Posted by The Ox

Like my buddy John Entwistle, I prefer his earlier stuff/tone with The Who (Who By Number, Tommy, Who's Next, Quadrophenia), when he was playing a passive Fender Precision bass to his later stuff, especially live when he had switched to active Alembic and Warwick basses (The Buzzard). The active basses electronically boost the signal. The passive P-Bass has, for me, that perfect passive tone. He used to push that thing into wonderful, overdrive distortion and back to the non distorted, fat plate of meatballs tone. For me, newer tech isn't always better. So as a bass player I prefer my old, passive Fender Precision and Jazz basses, as driver, I prefer my older, passive, analogue 911...
Best analogy. Musical equipment constantly evolves but newer has definitely not always been better. Not just in a "back in the good ole days sense" as I do selectively add modern equipment, but in the sense that developments are not always a step forward.

What IS almost always a necessary step forward for companies is seeking compliance with regulations / fuek efficiency needs and lowering costs... you can look at post oil crisis muscle cars and compare to pre crisis for a flavor of that!

Electric steering is the most obvious. Putting turbos in carreras is another. These are backwards movements in terms of experience. Sure, strapping on the turbos makes the latest gen go faster but with turbo lag and a different exhaust note -- most of us would have preferred they achieve similar performance naturally, until they hit the limit (they havent yet).
Old 02-26-2017, 01:24 PM
socalpcarfan
Instructor

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

[QUOTE=SnP;13987153]Platinum997, don't bite the hand that feeds you.

Personally, I'm grateful for the cardiologist at Cedars-Sinai who leased my 2010 C4S for two years that stickered for 135k and made it possible for me to buy it in 2012 with 10,000 miles on it for 70k.

Dude, you bought a 2010 C4S stickered at 135k with 10 k miles in 2012 for 70k? That's the freaking deal of the century ..
Old 02-26-2017, 04:52 PM
johnireland
Rennlist Member

Received 12 Likes on 11 Posts

I sold my 997.1 and went back to a 996.1...and if the prices kept dropping on 993s and 964s I'd be driving them.
Old 02-26-2017, 05:06 PM
996tnz
Three Wheelin'

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Default No handbrake = no sports car for me

As I posted when it came out, the 991 series brings some great tech like all wheel steering and proper torque vectoring. But take away the proper handbrake and Porsche have lost my interest. It was bad enough going to a footbrake on the Cayenne. Only the proper rally-spec Cayenne Transsyberias - not the tribute versions - came with one. But on a 'sports' car? A driver only has 5 control points to start with (steering wheel, gas, brake, transmission including clutch if any, and handbrake) so I really hate losing one of those controls.

Also, if the PSM stability control is not fully defeatable - even if just by unplugging something somewhere - then the 991 is not for me. Haven't looked into that though because the missing handbrake is enough reason to give it a miss anyway.

Yes, I am probably odd, but at times I've had reason to use the handbrake on the move in pretty much every situation - ie grass gymkhanas, tarmac gymkhanas, autocross, circuit racing, targa rally, rallycross (in a honda that one), race launches, U-turns, fast gravel roads etc, etc.

OK, if the price-performance ratio over my current beast was very convincing I'd look for a solution like fitting an aftermarket 'disability' handbrake to a 991 somehow. But - driven hard - my modded 996 Turbo still runs similar times at club events to 991 GT3s (about a 50:50 win ratio so far, though the best GT3 lap times remain just over a second under mine), so it may be the next 911 generation that catches my eye. And I'm praying for a proper handbrake on that one at least. Even if that next model's handbrake was 'fly by wire' behind the scenes, as long as it had a proper lever next to my hip with decently ramping resistance and a proportional effect on the rear brakes I'd be a happy man.
Old 02-26-2017, 05:21 PM
Dennis C
Rocky Mountain High
Rennlist Member

Received 1,274 Likes on 800 Posts

My 997 was so raw, it was unbelievable. I had to twist a switch to turn on the headlights! It was absolutely barbaric! Fortunately, I was able to find a good seating position with my Adaptive Sport Seats that allowed me to reach the switch. Speaking of headlights, I actually had to push a lever to activate the high beams! It was truly analog, like driving a Model T! I had to use an old-fashioned key to start the car (no kidding)! My 997 didn't even have air-conditioned seats; it was like sitting in a horse-drawn carriage from the 1800s! It made me feel connected to the road like nothing I've ever experienced, short of actually sitting on the road!

My 996 was even more raw. Driving the 996 with a blindfold on, you could easily be convinced that you were driving a 1959 Porsche Junior diesel tractor. That's the way Porsche should be building the 911. It's truly visceral.

I think I'm going to sell my 991 TTS and buy a 1955 Porsche 597 Jagdwagen. That's a true blending of man and machine that cannot be matched by any modern Porsche. You can't beat that driving experience.

Old 02-26-2017, 06:14 PM
vern1
Drifting

Received 104 Likes on 70 Posts

Originally Posted by SpeedyD
Blind driving test huh?

And yes, anyone with a good feel for the road and their car can tell the difference between hydraulic steering and electric. If you think otherwise maybe you don't need a porsche -- I mean, can you really tell the difference between your 911 and a Camry? They both get you from A to B, right?

I can tell the difference between a tube amplifier and a solid state, or a digital reproduction and the real thing. I am sure many people could not. Doesn't mean there isn't a difference.

For those who think this topic has been beaten to death, why post multiple times in this thread? Easy enough to ignore. Kinda like how easy it is for me to ignore the shiny new 991s since they are so unappealing to me :-)
Maybe because you guys just keep posting the same thing and its tough to ignore the humour in it -

Maybe you can tell the difference, maybe you cant and we'll never know. But I highly doubt the vast majority of people could.

Cheers

Originally Posted by Dennis C
My 997 was so raw, it was unbelievable. I had to twist a switch to turn on the headlights! It was absolutely barbaric! Fortunately, I was able to find a good seating position with my Adaptive Sport Seats that allowed me to reach the switch. Speaking of headlights, I actually had to push a lever to activate the high beams! It was truly analog, like driving a Model T! I had to use an old-fashioned key to start the car (no kidding)! My 997 didn't even have air-conditioned seats; it was like sitting in a horse-drawn carriage from the 1800s! It made me feel connected to the road like nothing I've ever experienced, short of actually sitting on the road!

My 996 was even more raw. Driving the 996 with a blindfold on, you could easily be convinced that you were driving a 1959 Porsche Junior diesel tractor. That's the way Porsche should be building the 911. It's truly visceral.

I think I'm going to sell my 991 TTS and buy a 1955 Porsche 597 Jagdwagen. That's a true blending of man and machine that cannot be matched by any modern Porsche. You can't beat that driving experience.

That's the spirit !!
Old 02-26-2017, 07:49 PM
Matt(inMA)
Not in MA anymore
Rennlist Member

Received 230 Likes on 117 Posts

Nothing except inspiration- nothing so far has inspired me to move from my 997- well except for the gt3 - once that has a standard it becomes a thought !

best

Matt

Originally Posted by mike.baa
Hey guys,

I'm loving my 997. I really am. But every time a new porsche comes out, I can't stop thinking about it. How are you guys able to hold back from always wanting to upgrade your 997? I know it's mostly psychological, but...would love to hear your opinions on this!

Mike.
Old 02-26-2017, 08:32 PM
RCD
Rennlist Member

Received 7 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by vern1
My 997 is the last of the real 911's, its visceral, raw, analog, involving, non electric steering piece of perfection
Last of the real 911s? Visceral, raw, analog? The 997 is a great car, but compared to a pre-964 911, even the 997 is a larger, luxury GT. Your signature notes that you once owned a 1989 911. I am surprised you would write this. Or was I too dense to realize this was sarcasm? (a distinct possibility!)
Old 02-26-2017, 08:36 PM
RCD
Rennlist Member

Received 7 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by RCD
Last of the real 911s? Visceral, raw, analog? The 997 is a great car, but compared to a pre-964 911, even the 997 is a larger, luxury GT. Your signature notes that you once owned a 1989 911. I am surprised you would write this. Or was I too dense to realize this was sarcasm? (a distinct possibility!)
Okay, I responded too quickly. After I read your other posts, and re-reading your first one, I realized my last hunch was correct. I was dense!
Old 02-26-2017, 09:31 PM
vern1
Drifting

Received 104 Likes on 70 Posts

Originally Posted by RCD
Okay, I responded too quickly. After I read your other posts, and re-reading your first one, I realized my last hunch was correct. I was dense!
Old 02-26-2017, 09:35 PM
integraver
AutoX

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

997 to me is a modern classic, a perfect blend between old and new.
997 has spoilt me, if I am paying double the price for a 991, it has to be doubly good and I do not think thats the case. Do not know about the 991.2, but when their used prices come down, I would not mind test driving and doing a comparison...

Note: Saw a Gray 991.2 Turbo this AM on the 405 and just lusted over the way it floated at 65 mph. It looks gorgeous.
Old 02-26-2017, 11:03 PM
Irisheyes
Intermediate

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

$$$

Quick Reply: What stops you all from upgrading to the 991 and beyond?