Sponsored by:

Detail question for swirls black paint with PC DA polisher

Search this Thread

Old 02-21-2017, 03:33 PM
verboten
Racer

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Detail question for swirls black paint with PC DA polisher

What is best polish and pad for light swirls and spiderwebs? Nothing fancy, I just want to clay bar, polish once (no hazing), wax/seal and drive.

Holy crap...look at all of these old polishes (at least 5 yrs old). I'm going to assume, unless told otherwise told by the mob, that I should toss these.

I have some foam pads but read good things about micro-fiber polishing pads.
Attached Images  

Last edited by verboten; 02-21-2017 at 04:07 PM.
Old 02-21-2017, 03:36 PM
jsalah
Burning Brakes

Received 7 Likes on 5 Posts

Be kind to Mother Earth -- don't just toss those in the trash, find a proper disposal / someone who takes chemicals...
Old 02-21-2017, 04:57 PM
Bruce In Philly
RL Community Team
Rennlist Member

Received 1,647 Likes on 983 Posts

I have and used most of what you have up there....... I finally found a single product that does it for me.. Meguires Ultimate Compound (not the Polish).

I use this with my Porter Cable orbiter and have for years. Then I put the shine on with Zaino. I find it the easiest of all polishes to work with.... fast, and fairly idiot proof.

I like Meguires Ultimate Compound for a few reasons. 1), it does not contain any physical abrasives like silica or other metalic powder so you don;t have to finish the polishing with a milder product 2) it will cut deeper scratches if you work it harder. 3) you can go very lightly.... it is just a great product for all types of polishing.... and leaves a mirror behind. It also buffs off very easily unlike those 3M products that set up like plaster. 4) it really is easy to work with and way easier than other polishes. Then finish up with your favorite wax or polymer .... I am a Zaino fan.

Note: I hate... yes hate.... any polish that has oils or other glossifiers in them... If you wax on top of them, the wax won't stick and the whole thing evaporates away in four days.

Myths:
- When using an orbital you can "burn" the surface.... BS... maybe so but you have to be a moron.
- Compounds cut deeper than polishes.... this is true as the word compound is reserved for stronger materials, however this Meguires stuff if fantastic in that you just go lightly with your orbital, wipe off and check your work. Unlike other products, you can really control the polishing action... and even if you go hard, it still is not that aggressive like other compounds.
- Don;t do this often as you will wear your paint away... this is true, but if you objective is eliminating those spider swirls, then you can use this product a few time a year without issue.

How do I know? Here is my 2000 Boxster S with around 150-175K miles on it.... most original paint except for front bumper and front hood. On this car, I wore out two! Pep Boys cheeepie orbitals before I purchased a real tool, the Porter Cable. I just put a terry cover over the tools sponge wheel.

Click here and be amazed..... https://goo.gl/photos/ZGT3hnmom5jQm2Lj6

COmments on the stuff you have up there that I used:

1 - Zaino 5 - I love their products but this one did nothing to fill in swirls.... good try, didn't deliver - still the Zaino polymer shine is amazing
2 - Zaino 2 - was the their tops for shine and lognevity ,and what I've used most over the years, with their hardner drops of course; I now just use their Sealant every few washes.. wow.... easier than 2 if possible and just fantastic, then I spritz with Z 6 after every wash..... virtually no work at all... just wipe this stuff on and walk away (both Sealant and Z6)
3 - Zaino Fusion - never used it as found the Meguires Miracle Compound to be my choice
4 - Zaino All in One - Forget it, another good try. THe abrasives in there are not aggressive enough for me.... great Zaino shine!!
5 - 3M Finessi it II Machine Polish - was my go to for polishing (swirl remover) ..... easy to control, does the job perfectly ...... sets up like plaster and is a royal pain to remove
6 - 3M 3009 , great product was an early go to for me.... not aggressive enough for me ... has some fillers in it that I don;t like, .... sets up like plaster and is a royal pain to remove
7 - didn;t try the rest of that stuff.

Peace
Bruce in Philly

Last edited by Bruce In Philly; 02-21-2017 at 05:24 PM.
Old 02-21-2017, 05:02 PM
voiceprint1
Burning Brakes

Received 140 Likes on 94 Posts

It looks like you have the right stuff in the middle (3M) to cut swirls, but it sounds like you know it's not a one shot deal for this type of thing, many steps to achieve what you really want. That prewax cleaner should also come in handy, before you go too deep.

I like blackfire, then a good carnuba as a finishing step.
Old 02-21-2017, 05:43 PM
verboten
Racer

Originally Posted by Bruce In Philly
I have and used most of what you have up there....... I finally found a single product that does it for me.. Meguires Ultimate Compound (not the Polish).

I use this with my Porter Cable orbiter and have for years. Then I put the shine on with Zaino. I find it the easiest of all polishes to work with.... fast, and fairly idiot proof.

I like Meguires Ultimate Compound for a few reasons. 1), it does not contain any physical abrasives like silica or other metalic powder so you don;t have to finish the polishing with a milder product 2) it will cut deeper scratches if you work it harder. 3) you can go very lightly.... it is just a great product for all types of polishing.... and leaves a mirror behind. It also buffs off very easily unlike those 3M products that set up like plaster. 4) it really is easy to work with and way easier than other polishes. Then finish up with your favorite wax or polymer .... I am a Zaino fan.

Note: I hate... yes hate.... any polish that has oils or other glossifiers in them... If you wax on top of them, the wax won't stick and the whole thing evaporates away in four days.

Myths:
- When using an orbital you can "burn" the surface.... BS... maybe so but you have to be a moron.
- Compounds cut deeper than polishes.... this is true as the word compound is reserved for stronger materials, however this Meguires stuff if fantastic in that you just go lightly with your orbital, wipe off and check your work. Unlike other products, you can really control the polishing action... and even if you go hard, it still is not that aggressive like other compounds.
- Don;t do this often as you will wear your paint away... this is true, but if you objective is eliminating those spider swirls, then you can use this product a few time a year without issue.

How do I know? Here is my 2000 Boxster S with around 150-175K miles on it.... most original paint except for front bumper and front hood. On this car, I wore out two! Pep Boys cheeepie orbitals before I purchased a real tool, the Porter Cable. I just put a terry cover over the tools sponge wheel.

Click here and be amazed..... https://goo.gl/photos/ZGT3hnmom5jQm2Lj6

COmments on the stuff you have up there that I used:

1 - Zaino 5 - I love their products but this one did nothing to fill in swirls.... good try, didn't deliver - still the Zaino polymer shine is amazing
2 - Zaino 2 - was the their tops for shine and lognevity ,and what I've used most over the years, with their hardner drops of course; I now just use their Sealant every few washes.. wow.... easier than 2 if possible and just fantastic, then I spritz with Z 6 after every wash..... virtually no work at all... just wipe this stuff on and walk away (both Sealant and Z6)
3 - Zaino Fusion - never used it as found the Meguires Miracle Compound to be my choice
4 - Zaino All in One - Forget it, another good try. THe abrasives in there are not aggressive enough for me.... great Zaino shine!!
5 - 3M Finessi it II Machine Polish - was my go to for polishing (swirl remover) ..... easy to control, does the job perfectly ...... sets up like plaster and is a royal pain to remove
6 - 3M 3009 , great product was an early go to for me.... not aggressive enough for me ... has some fillers in it that I don;t like, .... sets up like plaster and is a royal pain to remove
7 - didn;t try the rest of that stuff.

Peace
Bruce in Philly
Bruce, you are the man! I love the idea of a single product. I'm not interested in a show car finish and don't have patience for multiple steps. If I can remove most of the swirls, I'll be happy.

Do you use a finer polish after the Megs Ultimate Compound? I would think you would be left with micro-marring.

The chart below show that Megs UC is a very aggressive polish.
Attached Images  
Old 02-21-2017, 06:17 PM
Bruce In Philly
RL Community Team
Rennlist Member

Naw, that is what is great about Ultimate Compound is that after you use it, you are done. No marring nothing, just a mirror. It really does this. That chart is crap.... I know what they are trying to do, but that is why I love the Ultimate Compound... no thinking.

So just 2 steps: 1 step for polishing, 1 step for Zaino shine (or your favorite wax)

It really is that easy.... but I do use an orbital.

BTW.. that 3M Imperial Hand Glaze was made by Satan to enslave us. To be open, I think I am one of the few who recognize it as evil... others love it. It is loaded with oil..... when you are done, your car looks wet. I hate that.... it evaporates in four days and takes any wax you put on top of it with it.

But hey look, car care is like religion and addictions..... everyone who gets into it has their religion. I had three criterion.... easy , long lasting, and super shine. Multi step processes make me brake out in hives.

Peace
Bruce in Philly
The following users liked this post:
Miatavi (06-13-2023)
Old 02-21-2017, 08:49 PM
Surfer2001
Racer

Default Finish Masters

I just did my black 997.2 last weekend. I too had spiderwebs and light scratches. Finish Master is just down the block from my business. I thought I'd go see the professionals for advise and suggestions. They carry the "Smart" product line. They set me up with a two part kit, a compound and a polish. I used a white pad with the compound and a black pad with the polish. I followed that with a carnauba wax. My car came out amazing, no swirl marks, scratches gone She looked better than the day I got her.

Old 02-21-2017, 09:07 PM
BHMav8r
Rennlist Member

Received 2,822 Likes on 1,788 Posts

+1
Thanks for the info Bruce. I'm in the same boat and appreciate the simple process.
Old 02-21-2017, 09:44 PM
OKB
Three Wheelin'

Received 53 Likes on 41 Posts

Id use any of the swirl removers or LIGHT compounds, it should take off all scratches. Then any of the polishes.
POLISH last , then wax
Old 02-21-2017, 09:47 PM
ManoTexas
Three Wheelin'

Received 694 Likes on 419 Posts

Griots. Clayed. Light polish and best of show wax using random orbital. Same approach using any quality products will work. I just like their overall product line including other stuff like water hose etc. No affiliation just a customer.
The pic is hood reflection of black car. If I figured out to attach correctly lol.
Attached Images  
The following users liked this post:
Miatavi (06-13-2023)
Old 02-22-2017, 12:47 AM
killacam
Advanced

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

If your swirls aren't that bad, I really like poorboys polish with sealant. It's a great all in one and I found that the amount of correction I get is pad specific. For deeper swirls I would do a 2 step with m105 and m205. I currently use a variety of Lake County 5.5" and 3" flat pads on a pc.

Old 02-22-2017, 05:26 AM
Ni_Mo
Racer

Received 40 Likes on 21 Posts

Originally Posted by verboten
What is best polish and pad for light swirls and spiderwebs? Nothing fancy, I just want to clay bar, polish once (no hazing), wax/seal and drive.

Holy crap...look at all of these old polishes (at least 5 yrs old). I'm going to assume, unless told otherwise told by the mob, that I should toss these.

I have some foam pads but read good things about micro-fiber polishing pads.
verboten you're going to hear lots of different things and recommendations from lots of different people, ultimately the choice is yours!
I went through something similar to yours, however the damage was due to a body shop guy, see here: https://rennlist.com/forums/997-foru...today-228.html
and here: https://rennlist.com/forums/997-foru...today-229.html
Old 02-22-2017, 10:01 AM
Bruce In Philly
RL Community Team
Rennlist Member

From the lazy contrarian:

- Don't overthink pads etc...... I just use a dopey foam bad with a terry cloth cover to work with any effort... cheapies at any store.
- Claying.... ooooo I don;t like it, I used to do it, liked it, then one time, the last time, a chunk of something got under the clay and laid a two foot scratch on my Boxster hood. Great. Two weeks later, a storm brought a window screen down directly on the hood and I got a new hood with insurance. No clay for me. .... and frankly, a mildly abrasive polish will do the same and get your spider swirls. Clay was an invention for painters to remove over spray... it is sand.... you are wet sanding your car. So..... while claying works, it is with risks both from scratching and from a fresh surface attracting window screens.

Peace
Bruce in Philly
Old 02-22-2017, 11:21 AM
Steve 911
Pro

Received 286 Likes on 119 Posts

Sonax perfect finish 4/6 is the best that I've found. The results are amazing and it is easy to use. I normally top with sealant from either Adam's or Menzerna. I use a Rupes Bigfoot to polish, but any DA will work, some will just require more time than others to get the results you're after. Good luck!
Old 02-22-2017, 01:36 PM
voiceprint1
Burning Brakes

Received 140 Likes on 94 Posts

I second poorboys (harder finish) as a finishing wax (the white one), I also like Blackfire carnuba (softer but more depth).

Quick Reply: Detail question for swirls black paint with PC DA polisher