Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Track day pad question

Search this Thread

Old 02-21-2017, 04:55 PM
alexb76
Rennlist Member

Received 81 Likes on 58 Posts

After trying over 8 different street/track compounds across my GTI, S4, Porsche... the ONLY TRUE street/track pad is Ferodo DS2500, PERIOD! Here's their product page.

No other pad could have as much cold grip, stay quiet (most of the time), don't ruin OEM rotors, and work well on track. NO OTHER... I've tried Hawks, Pagid, PFC, etc... NOTHING WORKS but these bad boys are fantastic. I believe this is the OEM compound on a lot of Ferrari and Lamborghinis. Now, I've never been to Sebring, but across Pacific Northwest tracks, I've tracked them all on my 997.1 stock rotors and Ferodo pads with no issues. You can easily do a 25min session, 30mins is pushing it, just need to be aware that it's not a track pad and cool it down once in a while but I've NEVER had any issues like you reported, and ALL other pads I've tried in the past would not last a whole session, and once the Hawk pad almost killed me.

I used to swtich to OEM pads for winter, just for quieter operation but this winter, my OEM pads were too worn so I just kept the Ferodo and drove in snow and rain and cold weather all winter and they were just perfectly fine and even better than OEM, they're only worse than OEM on your first three brake applications, then it's miles better.
Old 02-21-2017, 05:10 PM
millertimefl
Instructor

Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts

Originally Posted by alexb76
After trying over 8 different street/track compounds across my GTI, S4, Porsche... the ONLY TRUE street/track pad is Ferodo DS2500, PERIOD! Here's their product page.

No other pad could have as much cold grip, stay quiet (most of the time), don't ruin OEM rotors, and work well on track. NO OTHER... I've tried Hawks, Pagid, PFC, etc... NOTHING WORKS but these bad boys are fantastic. I believe this is the OEM compound on a lot of Ferrari and Lamborghinis. Now, I've never been to Sebring, but across Pacific Northwest tracks, I've tracked them all on my 997.1 stock rotors and Ferodo pads with no issues. You can easily do a 25min session, 30mins is pushing it, just need to be aware that it's not a track pad and cool it down once in a while but I've NEVER had any issues like you reported.

I used to swtich to OEM pads for winter, just for quieter operation but this winter, my OEM pads were too worn so I just kept the Ferodo and drove in snow and rain and cold weather all winter and they were just perfectly fine and even better than OEM, they're only worse than OEM on your first three brake applications, then it's miles better.
Wow great info! Just what I was looking for...someone who already went through situation. I will look into those. Thanks!
Old 02-21-2017, 05:16 PM
alexb76
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by millertimefl
Wow great info! Just what I was looking for...someone who already went through situation. I will look into those. Thanks!
You're welcome. Ferodo is not a very popular brand on Porsche forums, everyone's on the Pagid bandwagon, but I couldn't find a similar Pagid pad to work as well. My local raceshop who carries them all said that no other pad has ever performed dual function as well, and he has customers across all cars from Honda S2000 to WRX to Porsche.

They're also not too expensive, last a long time, and don't dust too badly. Not sure what car you drive, but basically for 997.1 S/4S, you need to order 996 Turbo brake pads (exactly the same as ours) as I believe they don't make a 997 S specific pad (at least they didn't used to). My box said 996 Turbo and it was fine.
Old 02-21-2017, 05:46 PM
millertimefl
Instructor

Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts

Originally Posted by alexb76
You're welcome. Ferodo is not a very popular brand on Porsche forums, everyone's on the Pagid bandwagon, but I couldn't find a similar Pagid pad to work as well. My local raceshop who carries them all said that no other pad has ever performed dual function as well, and he has customers across all cars from Honda S2000 to WRX to Porsche.

They're also not too expensive, last a long time, and don't dust too badly. Not sure what car you drive, but basically for 997.1 S/4S, you need to order 996 Turbo brake pads (exactly the same as ours) as I believe they don't make a 997 S specific pad (at least they didn't used to). My box said 996 Turbo and it was fine.
I have a 997.2 C4S so I think we are on same pads.
Old 02-21-2017, 05:51 PM
alexb76
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by millertimefl
I have a 997.2 C4S so I think we are on same pads.
Double-check, I think 997.2 "S" brakes are a bit different. I last bought em from here: https://bestbrakes.com/c/car-items/4...nufacturer_id=
Old 03-03-2017, 02:58 PM
TrackDays247.com
Former Vendor

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Pagid and PFC - best support and product range for track days
Old 03-03-2017, 03:26 PM
Clark-ApexPerformance
Basic Sponsor
Rennlist
Site Sponsor

Received 68 Likes on 45 Posts

Ferodo DS2500 is the only true crossover pad that I have found.
http://www.apexperformance.net/Ferod...CHE_c_156.html
PFC has their Z rated pads that are not bad, but they make them in almost no Porsche pad shapes.

ApexPerformance.net
Premier Racing Outfitters

Toll free: 866-505-2739
Direct: 843-299-0997
EM: chamerly@apexperformance.net
www.apexperformance.net

Save 10% on your next order over $75 on most items- enter Promocode Rennlist-10 on your next order or mention Rennlist during your phone order.

PCA Club Racing - National Sponsor

Quick Reply: Track day pad question