DSC Questions and Responses - 997.2

Search this Thread

Old 02-20-2017, 11:55 AM
Bruce In Philly
RL Community Team
Rennlist Member

Received 1,414 Likes on 858 Posts
Default DSC Questions and Responses - 997.2

I was never happy with the ride of my 2009 C2S coupe... my 2000 Boxster S (no PASM) was just perfect both on the street and the track. So I just sent DSC an email with a few questions..... Tom of DSC approved my posting of this..... interesting..... will I buy the DSC module? Maybe...... maybe in the Spring if nothing big falls off my car and costs me money...

1) Does my car have “ride height” sensors? I understand from a video I watched that your controller uses this to loosen a damper on a particular wheel given a sudden bump.
The 997.2 has ride height sensors only on the left side. No ride height sensor at all on the right side of the car. So DSC damping adjustment via ride height velocity change is not applicable on 997 (like it is on a 991). The DSC damping adjustment on a 997 is a function on the g-force change and brake line pressure.
2) Does your product adjust each wheel independently, and does the Porsche system in my car now do this or does it control all together? I just want to understand the sophistication of your product beyond what Porsche has already provided. In other words, is your programming just “better” or does it do things that the Porsche system doesn’t do. Just a few words here would be fine.
DSC controls the four dampers on the car independently and actively. The OE controller is semi-active and while the hardware is capable of 4-channel command, the OE programming isn't.
3) I never like the way my car handled in normal mode… my car is my daily driver and I now have 106K miles on it… yes, I drive it. I find the expansion joint “bang” awful but think the car sways/squirms too much in hard acceleration in corners. I am worried that your softer normal mode will cause my car to float on the interstate at higher speeds….. the reason I think this is that my rear shocks were leaking and I was getting a nauseating floaty bob on the interstate in normal mode… I replaced all four with Porsche replacements and car stabilized back to new…… however, I am worried that your softer setting will be like those leaky rear shocks. Commentary on the “bang”, squirm, and highway float?
My experience driving all 997's (even GT2 and GT3) is that in PASM Normal mode the shocks are underdamped via the OE commands. i.e., not enough rebound damping to control the oscillation of the vehicle after a bump or even an expansion joints. Some drivers describes underdamping characteristic as "floaty". DSC is programmed to provide the right amount of damping for the situation. DSC will not feel like blown rear shocks.
Peace
Bruce in Philly
Old 02-20-2017, 12:02 PM
ChicagoSpeed996
Rennlist Member

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

So Bruce, my experience though I have a 997.1. The "floatiness" was the most concerning about the handling of my 997.1. In normal, I would get floatiness and sport I would get too much damper and vibrate on every bump. The DSC totally changed that. In normal the floatiness is gone, though the bumps are even soaked up better, while the body roll and dive is reduced. In sport mode, it is even usable with my wife in the car! And sport just tightens everything up from normal. As echoed by others, the best mod for money and effort (especially 997.2 as it is about a 5 minute job) you can do.
Old 02-20-2017, 05:12 PM
gasongasoff
Pro

Received 33 Likes on 25 Posts

The first thing I noticed when I slapped my DSC box in was that there was less floatiness on the freeway.
Old 02-21-2017, 09:51 AM
SAN997
Instructor

Received 9 Likes on 8 Posts

The DSC box + 3-axis accelerometer is high up on my mod list. Its going to be a while until my wife will let me grab one since I just spent over $1000 upgrading the radio and amp ("even though your car already had a Bose radio and amp!", she said). I told her to go shopping for some clothes in exchange, but its hard even for a woman to spend as much on clothes in two weeks as I can spend on Porsche mods in two days

I imagine the biggest bang for the buck is adding this to the 997.1 Carrera/S/4/4S since these cars come with only a 2-axis accelerometer. The 997.2 and the Turbo both have 3-axis. This tells you right away that Porsche cheaped out on the PASM controller in the 997.1 NA cars.

By the way, I find the "floatiness" in standard mode still allows for very good handling, and it better than sport on typical bumpy United States highways and mountain roads. Too much stiffness and it becomes harder to maintain traction and control. That said, I'm sure DSC's 3-axis fully active control is a big improvement still.
Old 02-21-2017, 10:04 AM
ChicagoSpeed996
Rennlist Member

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

Originally Posted by SAN997
By the way, I find the "floatiness" in standard mode still allows for very good handling, and it better than sport on typical bumpy United States highways and mountain roads. Too much stiffness and it becomes harder to maintain traction and control. That said, I'm sure DSC's 3-axis fully active control is a big improvement still.
It is a night and day improvement with much more traction (due to less chassis movement aka floatiness) and much better handling and predictability at the limits. If you thought it was good before, you will think it's great after DSC!
Old 02-21-2017, 10:31 AM
Silver Stealth
Intermediate

Received 3 Likes on 1 Post
Default Just installed the DSC Sport module this weekend in my 997.2

I have to echo what's been said by others on here. The difference in ride quality and handling is both subtle and dramatic. On the first drive, it reminded of various aftermarket suspensions I've put on other cars. Much better body control. I was most impressed, though, by the improved ride comfort in daily driving since this is my main car. The dampers are softened up a bit more and expansion joints and bumps are less harsh.
Overall, I couldn't be happier with the DSC Sport module. If you have a 997.2, I think it's a no-brainer. Took 5 minutes to install. It's customizable, and you can always remove it if you're not happy with it.
For the cost, you can't really beat it for the improved driving experience.

Quick Reply: DSC Questions and Responses - 997.2