Sponsored by:

Thoughts on a front end respray?

Search this Thread

Old 02-19-2017, 03:51 PM
OldBoldPilot
Intermediate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by SJP3003
Respray and after the paint cures add a transparent film nose bra.
I did just that to my black '08 S cab. Looks pristine. If the chips bother you, why struggle? Just fix it and move on, a happier man.
Old 02-19-2017, 06:14 PM
North Shore 911
Rennlist Member

Received 390 Likes on 198 Posts

Originally Posted by rickster997
Have the same issue with my black car. Dr ColorChip works great. Good low cost solution. BTW, if you don't know your paint code is on the inside of the gas cap door. Good Luck..
Rickster,

I'm thinking about doing the same touch up on my 2010 C4S Cab.... it's been my year-round DD here in Chicago for the last 3 years (on a set of Pirelli SottoZero's for winter), and I've got the front-end acne to show for it

Last Fall I bought a 2012 Cayenne S as my new winter DD, meaning that I won't be throwing a ton of salt and other winter shrapnel at my C4S. I was thinking of using Dr. ColorChip as a short-term solution as I consider a full respray and clear coat before summer. How well has the Dr. ColorChip touch up worn since you put it on? None of my cars are garage queens, they all get driven (and driven hard !). Are you happy with the cheap'n'cheerful solution, or is this just an interim step before you, too, pay up for a full respray?
Old 02-19-2017, 06:30 PM
JackZ R
Track Day

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Lowered and on 3rd repainted front bumper. 64000 miles and everything does still look factory. As someone mentioned don't cheap out on the painter.
Old 02-19-2017, 10:11 PM
rickster997
Rennlist Member

Received 109 Likes on 52 Posts

I holds up pretty well. Even survived a detailer removing paint swirls. In the bright sun can still see some of the larger ones, but if its not in direct sunlight it looks great.
Old 02-19-2017, 11:52 PM
kellen
Addict
Lifetime Rennlist

Received 349 Likes on 230 Posts

Whats the going rate for a respray of the bumper? Need to have this done for the chips as well as the biggest rock chip ever on my drive home after buying it.
Old 02-20-2017, 12:18 AM
jsalah
Burning Brakes

Received 7 Likes on 5 Posts

Same issue... almost identical car as North Shore... Probably color chip and clear bra this summer. Trying to avoid respray, but frankly not sure I have a good reason for that beyond cost sensitivity.
Old 02-20-2017, 09:14 AM
Gonzo911
Rat Balls
Rennlist Member

Received 13 Likes on 13 Posts

I had someone roll into the front bumper so that got fixed, repainted and new Xpel film. But while in the shop someone hit my rear bumper. So that got fixed too. So for 2 glorious days I had a pristine Porsche. Until a rock hit my hood on the freeway and caused 2 small dents near the crest. You just can't keep up with it, so I stopped trying...
Old 02-20-2017, 11:04 AM
North Shore 911
Rennlist Member

Received 390 Likes on 198 Posts

Originally Posted by jsalah
Same issue... almost identical car as North Shore... Probably color chip and clear bra this summer. Trying to avoid respray, but frankly not sure I have a good reason for that beyond cost sensitivity.
This whole thread motivated me to just pull the trigger on a Dr. ColorChip solution this morning (PayPal makes it so easy to spend my money...). Given the pretty good feedback from everyone in terms of ease of use and the effectiveness of covering ugly road rash, $64 seems like a no-brainer to at least stop making me annoyed every time I look at the front of my car.

Eventually, my OCD will get the best of me and I know that I'll go for the full respray and clear bra, but in the meantime I'll happily throw this bandaid on the road rash problem and keep throwing my money at more performance mods
Old 02-20-2017, 11:11 AM
SpeedyD
Burning Brakes

Received 165 Likes on 112 Posts

I had mine resprayed. Had a defective front bumper (a small flat spot in the plastic) that irked me, so had the dealer replace it (no charge). The replacement bumper got drilled (not what I wanted) but I just dealt with it since in NYC and didn't want to get hassled by cops.

Moved to Michigan (no front bumper state) and found out there was a new manager at my dealer. Before I left the city, the new manager apologized and promised to fix what the prior manager messed up (no cost). They did a respray of the front and did a very great job of permanently removing the drill holes (100% invisible now). Result is it looks perfect and I'm happy.

If I ever sell (and not sure if I ever will) I have the documentation to show exactly what happened so not concerned. Personally, I could not care less about a respray so long as it wasn't due to collision. If it IS a collision then I would want pics of the damage pre-fix, and a very close inspection of how the fix was performed.

Funny thing is that the clear bras that get installed actually would concern me just as much as a respray. There are multiple instances that I have seen them pull paint off when they get changed and if you don't change them they yellow... plus you get either A) a seam or B) they slightly reduce the shine of the paint... let alone the costs.

Long story short, I would get a respray done for stone chips and just enjoy the car :-)
Old 02-20-2017, 11:29 AM
jsalah
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by North Shore 911
This whole thread motivated me to just pull the trigger on a Dr. ColorChip solution this morning (PayPal makes it so easy to spend my money...). Given the pretty good feedback from everyone in terms of ease of use and the effectiveness of covering ugly road rash, $64 seems like a no-brainer to at least stop making me annoyed every time I look at the front of my car.

Eventually, my OCD will get the best of me and I know that I'll go for the full respray and clear bra, but in the meantime I'll happily throw this bandaid on the road rash problem and keep throwing my money at more performance mods
Lol... I hear ya. If you don't mind being a test case, will you let us know how the Colorchip works out? We of the black C4S-cabs thank you!
Old 02-20-2017, 07:44 PM
galaxy collision
Instructor

i say paint it..... but then again, i own a collision shop lol... seriously though, if it bugs you then have it fixed. just be sure to use a shop that does good work and will stand by it. if your planning on using some sort of clear bra on it after the respray, just make sure that the paint is completely cured. if its put on too soon there is a strong possibility of pulling the paint right off when removing the clear bra down the road
Old 02-20-2017, 09:51 PM
SnP
Racer

Received 15 Likes on 6 Posts

I assume the week after i repaint I will hit a deer.

I dont keep cars long enough to repaint - there is always another model that is newer, faster and with better paint.
Old 02-21-2017, 02:34 PM
CAA
Burning Brakes

Received 71 Likes on 57 Posts

Thanks for all the replies - appreciate the info / feedback.

Quick Reply: Thoughts on a front end respray?