hotelguy
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I have an interested in the 997 x pipe with cats
Old 02-19-2017, 10:21 PM
Saaboteur
Burning Brakes

Received 96 Likes on 60 Posts

Just a quick update guys - I'm still waiting to hear back from Phoenix as to availability of everything. They don't want to accept orders without stock, and from the looks of it, if everyone on the list is 100% committed, we might be making a run on their supply!

More when I know more.
Old 02-19-2017, 10:35 PM
vern1
Drifting

Received 104 Likes on 70 Posts

So who makes the cats?
Old 02-19-2017, 11:18 PM
Saaboteur
Burning Brakes

As I mentioned in the first post, I don't have that information, and Phoenix is unsure as well. I'm fairly certain it's not HJS. That's not a concern for me.
Old 02-22-2017, 12:50 AM
ALEV8
Three Wheelin'

Received 70 Likes on 48 Posts

I'm in
Old 02-22-2017, 09:29 AM
mjsporsche
Rennlist Member

Received 140 Likes on 90 Posts

Originally Posted by Saaboteur
As I mentioned in the first post, I don't have that information, and Phoenix is unsure as well. I'm fairly certain it's not HJS. That's not a concern for me.
I would push to get an answer. Not all cats are the same. Low quality cats could be a problem in the long term.
Old 02-22-2017, 10:39 AM
semicycler
Three Wheelin'

Received 42 Likes on 36 Posts

Originally Posted by mjsporsche
I would push to get an answer. Not all cats are the same. Low quality cats could be a problem in the long term.
I agree. The group buy price is very attractive. If the 200 cell section is from a quality manufacturer than this is a great deal, almost too good that I'm a bit skeptical. HJS cores in no name cats would be awesome at this price. Generic cores for street use only doesn't really matter though, less of a concern for melting or separating internally. But for any hard pushing over time on generic cores (autox, track, long canyon runs, etc.) and the manufacturer matters, or else you will be buying them a second time.

By the way, quality name brand used 200 cell cats for 996/997.1 show up from time to time at around the $800 +/- mark.
Old 02-22-2017, 04:43 PM
lowbee
Rennlist Member

Received 354 Likes on 222 Posts

Originally Posted by semicycler
......If the 200 cell section is from a quality manufacturer than this is a great deal.....
I am interested to know where the CAT are from but that's not going to impact my decision.

I don't expect these CAT will come from a name brand manufacturer or else they would have disclosed it long ago. It could be Chinese or Taiwanese made or maybe worst but I am in this group buy knowing that and willing to take the risks. For me, if these CAT pipes last 4 years or 20,000 miles (whichever comes first) then it will be good enough. At which point I will just go to a muffler shop have the bad ones cut out and put in a high-flow Vibrant or Magnaflow CAT in for $200-$300 then I am all new again.

.....Generic cores for street use only doesn't really matter though, less of a concern for melting or separating internally....
This is what I am intending to use them for with a few occasional laps on the track in between......

If some of you are not willing to take the risks or just trying to convince yourself that the HJS CAT pipes was worth the price you paid (I am sure they are) then please spare us your concerns cause it is getting a bit tiring....
Old 02-22-2017, 06:35 PM
semicycler
Three Wheelin'

Received 42 Likes on 36 Posts

Originally Posted by lowbee
I am interested to know where the CAT are from but that's not going to impact my decision.

I don't expect these CAT will come from a name brand manufacturer or else they would have disclosed it long ago. It could be Chinese or Taiwanese made or maybe worst but I am in this group buy knowing that and willing to take the risks. For me, if these CAT pipes last 4 years or 20,000 miles (whichever comes first) then it will be good enough. At which point I will just go to a muffler shop have the bad ones cut out and put in a high-flow Vibrant or Magnaflow CAT in for $200-$300 then I am all new again.

This is what I am intending to use them for with a few occasional laps on the track in between......

If some of you are not willing to take the risks or just trying to convince yourself that the HJS CAT pipes was worth the price you paid (I am sure they are) then please spare us your concerns cause it is getting a bit tiring....
Got it. You were honest up front about not knowing but not entirely clear if you could push to find out. It's clear now that you don't care who makes them, have no intentions of pushing to find out, and are driven solely by lowest price. This group buy makes that low price even better. My apologies for stepping on your toes in your thread.
Old 02-23-2017, 01:18 PM
215robert
Rennlist Member

Received 18 Likes on 12 Posts

Thanks, gonna pass...........
Old 02-23-2017, 03:00 PM
vern1
Drifting

Received 104 Likes on 70 Posts

Got it. You were honest up front about not knowing but not entirely clear if you could push to find out. It's clear now that you don't care who makes them, have no intentions of pushing to find out, and are driven solely by lowest price. This group buy makes that low price even better. My apologies for stepping on your toes in your thread.
Its wasn't him it was Saabotuer who expressed those opinions.

It may be tiresome to lowbee but it is important info and we were just trying to point that out (not justify what some of bought ie we actually know what we bought )

Its disingenuous for the distributor to say he doesn't know who makes the cats. It would take him 2 mins to call the manufacturer and find out so people know exactly what they are getting. Whether you give a crap or not is entirely up to you
Old 02-23-2017, 08:55 PM
German888
Racer

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

First off, Thanks to "Saaboteur" for taking the time to look into the group buy. Appreciate the effort you've put into it and I'm sure everyone else does as well.

To "vern1's" point above would you mind pressing the supplier for more specifics on which cats they use? Some seem to care and others maybe not as much but either way it would be nice to know if they are willing to divulge.
Old 02-23-2017, 11:17 PM
Saaboteur
Burning Brakes

I've contacted Phoenix again to ask about the cat manufacturer. He was away at some trade shows, and then was ill, so he's been slightly out of touch.

Hopefully we'll get some answers on availability soon, so that guys can start ordering. Take my money! lol
Old 02-25-2017, 12:51 AM
oregondave
Banned

Received 160 Likes on 114 Posts

Originally Posted by Saaboteur
I've contacted Phoenix again to ask about the cat manufacturer. He was away at some trade shows, and then was ill, so he's been slightly out of touch.

Hopefully we'll get some answers on availability soon, so that guys can start ordering. Take my money! lol
Seeming a little flakey?
Old 03-01-2017, 11:15 PM
hotelguy
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

So any news on the group buy?

Quick Reply: 996 and 997.1 Carrera naturally aspirated 200 cell cat pipe or x-pipe group buy