Sponsored by:

Burned Clutch Smell Paranoia

Search this Thread

Old 01-26-2017, 05:18 PM
jeffrec
Racer

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default Burned Clutch Smell Paranoia

Okay guys, I have posted on this forum many times before and have always found it to be a great source of information and at times a way to ease my mind. I have a 2009 C2S manual shift with a year old clutch and almost 4K miles on it. I never slip the clutch, over rev, or drop the clutch at the start, so basically I grandfather it. I have an extremely steep driveway and this afternoon I was jockeying my cars around. My 911 was at mid point on the driveway and I was wearing clunky shoes. Anyway to get to the point of my question, my shoe got stuck on the floor mat while I was releasing the clutch pedal and the clutch slipped for a few seconds without engaging. Less than 5 seconds I would say. Regardless I got the unpleasant aroma associated with the clutch burning. I put on my driving shoes and took it out for a drive afterward, nothing appears to be different with the clutch and no further bad smell. Could that little bit of clutch slippage create any issues for me? Thanks you.
Old 01-26-2017, 05:29 PM
German888
Racer

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

None. Rest easy tonight...
Old 01-26-2017, 05:35 PM
rbennett
Drifting

Received 13 Likes on 8 Posts

Agree, your clutch is just fine! hell the inside of my 930 has a permanent burnt clutch plate mixed with motor oil smell.

Originally Posted by German888
None. Rest easy tonight...
Old 01-26-2017, 05:37 PM
German888
Racer

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Hey, can you bottle up some of that aroma and send it my way. Sounds nice!!

Originally Posted by rbennett
Agree, your clutch is just fine! hell the inside of my 930 has a permanent burnt clutch plate mixed with motor oil smell.
Old 01-26-2017, 05:46 PM
rbennett
Drifting

Received 13 Likes on 8 Posts

^^^
Burnt clutch plates smell like Victory!

Originally Posted by German888
Hey, can you bottle up some of that aroma and send it my way. Sounds nice!!
Old 01-26-2017, 06:27 PM
jeffrec
Racer

Did you say 930??? The car of my youth's dreams and the car that peaked my never ending love for the Porsche 911. You are a lucky man, but then you already knew that!!!
Old 01-26-2017, 10:29 PM
Iceter
Drifting

Received 412 Likes on 243 Posts

I could play the role of some on the forum that would tell you your clutch is toast and you need to immediately have it replaced. In addition, your dangerously worn clutch has reduced the value of your car so you need to sue the manufacturer of your clunky shoes for the diminished value of the car. Then, you need to replace the bell housing because it's got clutch dust on it and replace it with Rennfabextreme's polished carbon fiber scattershield. It's only $12,000 but if you can't afford that, you're a schmuck who doesn't deserve a Porsche. Oh, make sure you buy a bottle of their clutch disk conditioner spray to keep the dust off of it, or better yet, don't ever drive the car again. it depreciates when you drive it. Don't look at it, either--that's bad, too. Finally, if you don't have Michelin Pilot Sport Cup tires with 100% tread, you'll need to replace those, too, or else risk a fiery death.

Or, I could tell you the truth and say that your car is fine.
Old 01-27-2017, 12:27 AM
jsalah
Burning Brakes

Received 7 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by Iceter
I could play the role of some on the forum that would tell you your clutch is toast and you need to immediately have it replaced. In addition, your dangerously worn clutch has reduced the value of your car so you need to sue the manufacturer of your clunky shoes for the diminished value of the car. Then, you need to replace the bell housing because it's got clutch dust on it and replace it with Rennfabextreme's polished carbon fiber scattershield. It's only $12,000 but if you can't afford that, you're a schmuck who doesn't deserve a Porsche. Oh, make sure you buy a bottle of their clutch disk conditioner spray to keep the dust off of it, or better yet, don't ever drive the car again. it depreciates when you drive it. Don't look at it, either--that's bad, too. Finally, if you don't have Michelin Pilot Sport Cup tires with 100% tread, you'll need to replace those, too, or else risk a fiery death.
You forgot to tell him to also take the opportunity to replace his headlight fluid. Don't want to risk that.
Old 01-27-2017, 08:27 AM
jeffrec
Racer

Or I could say to those who would respond like Iceter and jsalah that I knew the answer and that I was just checking to see on the Rennlist forum who would give me a smart assed answer!!! Have a good day gentlemen.
Old 01-27-2017, 09:09 AM
hot nikon
Racer

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

It is probably your muffler bearings, but you knew that already...
Old 01-27-2017, 10:30 AM
Gonzo911
Rat Balls
Rennlist Member

Received 13 Likes on 13 Posts

You fell victim to the dreaded "under rev". It will be noted in your ECU and likely will affect your car's value in the future.

But more than likely it won't...
Old 01-27-2017, 04:04 PM
jsalah
Burning Brakes

Received 7 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by jeffrec
Or I could say to those who would respond like Iceter and jsalah that I knew the answer and that I was just checking to see on the Rennlist forum who would give me a smart assed answer!!! Have a good day gentlemen.
Lol... just poking fun. I've got all the same paranoia about my car! Believe me, I've been there, and I've asked questions on here that I'm sure have left some scratching their heads
Old 01-27-2017, 09:46 PM
Iceter
Drifting

Received 412 Likes on 243 Posts

OP, I wasn't making fun of you, I was poking fun at the negative Nancies on the forum that always seem to pop up and tell people that the slightest issue with their car is something serious and that they need to throw thousands of Dollars at it.

I seriously expect someone to chime in on your question and tell you that you've ruined your car. There's still plenty of time...just wait for it.
Old 01-27-2017, 09:49 PM
too tall
Instructor

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

It's fine.

Quick Reply: Burned Clutch Smell Paranoia