Notices
997 Forum 2005-2012
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

How do you know when your engine mounts are bad?

Search this Thread

Old 01-20-2017, 11:49 PM
Iceter
Drifting

Received 412 Likes on 243 Posts
Default How do you know when your engine mounts are bad?

When I was installing my muffler bypass this week, I had the rear bumper cover off and saw my engine mounts. It made me think about how easy it would be to replace them--which made me wonder how you know when they need to be replaced.

How do you know for sure? My car has 63k miles. I know they stretch, but how much? Is there a measurement I can do to see if they're fatigued? Maybe the height of the oil pan off of the driveway?
Old 01-20-2017, 11:59 PM
LexVan
Banned

Received 5,388 Likes on 2,509 Posts

Leaking? It's very stinky.

Exhaust tips even?

Excessive movement in the exhaust tips upon acceleration, braking, or throttle blips?

Just a few.
Old 01-21-2017, 12:23 AM
Hella-Buggin'
Rennlist Member

Received 323 Likes on 179 Posts

I found that when I changed them the car was much smoother switching gears under breaking and turns.
Old 01-21-2017, 01:13 AM
SoCal C2S
Three Wheelin'

Received 128 Likes on 87 Posts

I replaced mine just because....but the exhaust tips are now 1.5 inches higher than before. Stock mounts @ 56k miles.
Old 01-21-2017, 02:48 AM
idlook2
Rennlist Member

Received 13 Likes on 4 Posts

Just replaced mine as well. Old mount is on the left, new one is on the right. The old mounts are quite a bit longer!
Attached Images  
Old 01-21-2017, 09:16 AM
StormRune
Rennlist Member

Received 664 Likes on 357 Posts

Originally Posted by idlook2
Just replaced mine as well. Old mount is on the left, new one is on the right. The old mounts are quite a bit longer!
I had similar observations to this, and I'd imagine the difference is worse when they are under load. I'd just recommend that you watch for increasing or especially uneven gap developing between the exhaust tips and the trim, but it is certainly something that happens very slowly in most cases.... something like how I look in the mirror everyday and see the same guy, until one day I suddenly realize there is an older guy standing there looking back.

On my 997.2, I guess I had the good fortune of one mount getting weaker than the other first, so I noticed the gap between the top of the exhaust tips and the surround trim was getting larger on one side than the other. Like SoCal C2S noted, both sides came up quite a bit once they were replaced. Note that neither of mine had ruptured so there was no dramatic fluid leak or anything like that.
Old 01-21-2017, 10:28 AM
Bruce In Philly
RL Community Team
Rennlist Member

Received 1,414 Likes on 858 Posts

2009 C2S 105K coupe MT

I did mine at 96K miles and have a DIY writeup on it. My one side was sagging just a bit. Was this "worn out"? I dunno, but I like a project. (pics of the sag in my writeup)

It is very easy work.. there are minor differences in 997.1 vs 997.2 .. different nut IIRC.

https://rennlist.com/forums/997-foru...s-porsche.html

Also, watch out for the Corteco vs Porsche parts issue noted in my write up.

After I did the work, I may have felt a difference in that the car wagged less but honestly, it just could have been my desire to feel it. I never felt any difference in shifting before or after and while I don't dismiss what others feel, I can't for the life of me understand why these mounts would have any effect on shifting as the transmission/engine assembly is a solid system and the cables are attached directly to the transmission... it all moves as one.

Fun project and not expensive.

Peace
Bruce in Philly

Last edited by Bruce In Philly; 01-21-2017 at 10:45 AM.
Old 01-21-2017, 11:07 AM
German888
Racer

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Did mine recently. Raised the engine a good .75"+. One was looking a bit worse than the other and might have been leaking.

Old 01-21-2017, 12:46 PM
secondshot
Racer

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

Your engine bay looks nothing like Bruce's in his write up.
Old 01-21-2017, 12:59 PM
platinum997
Rennlist Member

Received 261 Likes on 131 Posts

How do you like the nyppd's. They seem like a good value.
Old 01-21-2017, 01:31 PM
German888
Racer

Originally Posted by platinum997
How do you like the nyppd's. They seem like a good value.
Haven't been able to drive it yet. To much snow and my new wheels & tires were lost by UPS after being shipped by the supplier. Had to re-order and now in my second 6 week waiting phase. Frustrated and cold here in Spokane!

I can comment on the quality however which is excellent. They utilize a nice thick 75A durometer bushing which is supposed to yield a great street worthy ride. I do know of one person who switched from the RSS mounts to NYPPD and said it was a significant improvement. His review is on the NYPPD website.

Also the coupon code "tenpercent" still works as of today which puts these at $251.99 and free shipping! Very hard to beat that deal...
Old 01-21-2017, 06:49 PM
mickfluff
Drifting

Received 23 Likes on 20 Posts

whats a dealer install price on these? if you supply the part... labor speaking? Just curious... in spring dealer likely doing alternator line as slow crank (typical issue) so thought while doing that add these...
thanks
Old 01-21-2017, 08:11 PM
German888
Racer

Shouldn't take more than 30 minutes to install them so I would say under $100. I can say it took me under 40 minutes to do both including jacking the motor and taking my time.

Originally Posted by mickfluff
whats a dealer install price on these? if you supply the part... labor speaking? Just curious... in spring dealer likely doing alternator line as slow crank (typical issue) so thought while doing that add these...
thanks
Old 01-21-2017, 08:18 PM
jhbrennan
Rennlist Member

Received 81 Likes on 73 Posts

Originally Posted by German888
Haven't been able to drive it yet. To much snow and my new wheels & tires were lost by UPS after being shipped by the supplier. Had to re-order and now in my second 6 week waiting phase. Frustrated and cold here in Spokane!

I can comment on the quality however which is excellent. They utilize a nice thick 75A durometer bushing which is supposed to yield a great street worthy ride. I do know of one person who switched from the RSS mounts to NYPPD and said it was a significant improvement. His review is on the NYPPD website.

Also the coupon code "tenpercent" still works as of today which puts these at $251.99 and free shipping! Very hard to beat that deal...
Wow!! Lost wheels - how does UPS lose 4 big boxes that have tracking numbers. Where did they go missing - at supplier's end, in-transit, or at your end.
Old 01-21-2017, 11:10 PM
German888
Racer

Long story:
Company I purchased from realized last minute they forgot to add my new TPMS sensors to the wheels but had already created the UPS labels and had all 4 boxes qued up at the back door for pickup. Someone figured it out and cancelled the labels but UPS driver nabbed them before they could pull the boxes.

According to UPS a cancelled label is processed into a different DC and the chance for recovery becomes next to impossible. I've heard they auction this stuff off.

I was pretty bummed out and had to step away from it for a day. Ended up calling the manufacture directly to explain and see about getting the order expedited. Production manager assured me he would get it through in 2-3 weeks vs the normal 6-8. Won't hold my breath on that one...

Still had to go through a distributor however. Couldn't get the Mfg. to go direct. Ended up processing the order with original company vs swapping to another Dist. Figured they would likely baby sit the crap out of it the second time around.

Originally Posted by jhbrennan
Wow!! Lost wheels - how does UPS lose 4 big boxes that have tracking numbers. Where did they go missing - at supplier's end, in-transit, or at your end.

Quick Reply: How do you know when your engine mounts are bad?