Sponsored by:

Leather type question

Search this Thread

Old 01-23-2017, 11:07 PM
jglaze
Racer

Received 8 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by ervin881
Call me a convert. I'm discarding all the old products.
Compared to Griots, would you say it's quantifiably better, or more aesthetically pleasing to your personal taste? Just curious as I currently use Griots and am starting to run low...
Old 01-23-2017, 11:40 PM
max540i
Instructor

Received 8 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by dasams
I don't remember where I found it but I'm happy to email it to you. PM your email. Dave
PM sent ... Thanks!
Old 01-24-2017, 09:08 AM
Quadcammer
Race Director

Received 1,370 Likes on 793 Posts

Originally Posted by ervin881
better than new.
how specifically does it look better than new?
Old 01-24-2017, 10:00 AM
Bruce In Philly
RL Community Team
Rennlist Member

Received 1,416 Likes on 859 Posts

I think leather "cleaner" is crap. I use Dawn with water, dip in a hard sponge, and rub. Wipe dry, then follow up with your favorite conditioner. Lexol stinks and relaxed my leather where I got sags... Mothers or Mguires is fine stuff. I have some Zaino which smells like leather.... all good.

Peace
Bruce in Philly
Old 01-25-2017, 12:13 AM
Iceter
Drifting

Received 412 Likes on 243 Posts

Leathrique is unique in that the application is backward versus most other products. First you condition and then you clean. The first stage "floats out" the dirt without scrubbing, then you clean the lifted crud off with the second stage.

I was very paranoid about using it on my natural, full leather interior but it has worked exceptionally well. I was really worried that the end result would be shiny but the finish is just like the original, natural finish.

I also use it on my Cole Hahn loafers. Shoe polish leaves them shiny whereas the Leatherique removes the crud and leaves a matte finish, like they're supposed to have.
Old 01-25-2017, 05:35 PM
kcheves
Rennlist Member

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by dasams
The 2009 order guide shows three price points and, well, you know, you get what you pay for.

$3,655 will get you full leather in black, stone grey, sea blue or sand beige
$4,085 will get you special leather in terracotta or cocoa
$5,165 will get you natural leather in dark grey, natural brown or carrera red
$4085 was also the list price for the bi-color interiors. Black/Sand Beige, Black/Grey, and Black/Terracotta.
Old 01-25-2017, 09:07 PM
ervin881
Instructor

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Compared to Griots... it doesn't have as much leather fragrance as the Griots, which I will miss. I thought the Griots smelled pretty good. But It cleans better than Griots. I've been using Griots for years and use it at least every other month on my 997, and there is never any "dirt" coming off on the sponge (I use equestrian tack sponges for application). The first time using the Leatherique, on a supposedly clean leather surface, and the sponge was dark with dirt. Not dye, dirt.

Also, the leather is tangibly more supple after the Leatherique than it is after the Griots.

It would be hard to say the leather looks better than "new" (even though I did) because the car is 12 years old and I can't make a direct comparison. But it certainly looks as good as new. The color is completely uniform and the matte finish is just beautiful. It doesn't have any gloss (I hate gloss) and yet it isn't dull. It has life to it now without any shininess or sheen.
Old 01-25-2017, 09:10 PM
ervin881
Instructor

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Quantifiable or personal preference? That's hard to answer. But I'll bet 9 out of ten people would say they like the Look now better than before.

Quick Reply: Leather type question